Canon 1000D or Nikon D60

Status
Not open for further replies.

De3pster

Deregistered
Jan 25, 2009
Opp Macritchie
Hi everyone! happy new year btw.. anyway, planning to get a 1000d or d60 as a birthday present. im new to slr :confused: so i need some advice.. anyone?? thanks:)

Happy CNY, what do you intend to use the SLR for? Both manufacturers have their strength and weaknesses. Generally Canon gives better colors straight from the cam (depending on setting too) and Nikon has great ergonomics.

For a start, you can check out the side-by-side comparison.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...ide&cameras=canon_eos1000d,nikon_d60&show=all

D60, nice grip.
quality, same.
price, cheaper.

Have you considered the d40? this has got some great reviews. Check www.kenrockwell.com for an idea or a quick search in google. might save a few doller for some lens :)

A lot of people would talk about the Pros of both camera... maybe I start with some of their Cons:

Canon 1000D
  • No Spot Metering

Nikon D60
  • No AF support with most of Nikon Lens
  • No LiveView

Last edited:
I'd go for the Canon anyday. Price-wise, it's a little more but a more complete feature set. Live View is a boon especially when shooting at awkward angles. The ability to use almost all of Canon lenses is also a plus point where the Nikon only accepts AF-S lenses with their internal AF motors.

buying a dslr is buying a system.

both cameras are good for beginners. I too had a tough spot choosing between D300 and 40D but the Pentax K20D clinched it for me as it had what i wanted at my budget. Pentax range of Limited lenses are simply amazing.

best way is possibly to go to shop and test both or rent both.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! happy new year btw.. anyway, planning to get a 1000d or d60 as a birthday present. im new to slr :confused: so i need some advice.. anyone?? thanks:)

Do you really need a DSLR? Are you prepared for the investment into lenses, dry cabinets, etc?

Perhaps you should consider a prosumer or bridge camera first.

If you're set on a DSLR, have you tried testing the cameras for yourself? That's the critical part. Have you compared features? Seen the pros and cons? Taken a look at the other DSLR makers?

A question to the TS... are you getting it as a present for yourself? If not, better "ask" which system he preferred.... :)

A question to the TS... are you getting it as a present for yourself? If not, better "ask" which system he preferred.... :)
a grp of frens are getting it for me as a bdae gift.. so i have to tell them which one i wanted.. and i cant ask for a more expensive one..paiseh ah...

so far, ive been to a shop in funan and tried both out.. the effect from the canon is much stronger than the nikon, however, the nikon looks more stable than the canon.. the 1000d seems very "plastic" and i dont know if thats alright..sorry if its seems dumb

hey i am noob newbie like you too

. same old dilemma hhehhe.you just cant help it,can't you.

ultimately, its also a question of need or want too.and the fellas have put it straight to you in the previous posts.

the thing is this.. you'd be dreaming of goodtimes photographing,romancing the blue skies..just like the ad but once u already have it ,it takes great strenght to bring your self out and actually shoot the dslr.its like always wanting to be with paris hilton,then when you get to be with her you dont know what to do with her.

with all that is said..i suppose this has to be it

just go with the canon.

i like their ad on tv.

the effect from the canon is much stronger than the nikon, however, the nikon looks more stable than the canon.. the 1000d seems very "plastic" and i dont know if thats alright..sorry if its seems dumb

This is close to what a lot of people feel. Did you try the Olympus, Pentax and Sony ones too? Or are you set on Canon or Nikon?

Just remember that the D60 only has 3 AF points and no focus motor built in, so you'll only be able to manual focus with a lot of lenses.

i think i have set my mind on a 1000d.. although i had advice that a 450d would be better, does anyone know a place that sells it cheap and brand new besides this forum? so that i can go down and try it out with my frens as well. i dont want it to be so ex that i will feel bad.

hey i am noob newbie like you too

. same old dilemma hhehhe.you just cant help it,can't you.

ultimately, its also a question of need or want too.and the fellas have put it straight to you in the previous posts.

the thing is this.. you'd be dreaming of goodtimes photographing,romancing the blue skies..just like the ad but once u already have it ,it takes great strenght to bring your self out and actually shoot the dslr.its like always wanting to be with paris hilton,then when you get to be with her you dont know what to do with her.

with all that is said..i suppose this has to be it

just go with the canon.

i like their ad on tv.
i have been using my gf's dslr and i have been going out to take lots of photos. thats where i set my mind to get a dslr on my own and start new.. thanks anyway:)

hey i'm a noob too. but just want to share something i think could help in your decision.

basically both the cameras has the same similar features. so that makes the comparison down to their sensor type, auto focusing, and its metering.

personally, i think its extremely tough to focus manually without a live view that can zoom in, unless you're so pro or your eyes are that sharp of course. if you like the easy way out, i'll say 1000d. i heard canon lens are more compatible with their range of cameras than nikon's do, so that's an advantage too if your friends are using canon.

D60 feels better in my hand and I prefer the overall picture quality.

i think i have set my mind on a 1000d.. although i had advice that a 450d would be better, does anyone know a place that sells it cheap and brand new besides this forum? so that i can go down and try it out with my frens as well. i dont want it to be so ex that i will feel bad.

deepster,
i am using 1000d and i'm loving it. for a noob newbie i think it is the works man.the 450d is about the same..comes DIGIC III and it 9 point AF . 1000d has only 7 point. but should be fine...

i bought my 1000d KIT at C.P for $1030.and i bought a 70-300mm lense for $59 during the promotion.

not try to do promo here coz i dont know these fellas but i heard from a friend who got it M.S Photo at AMK HUB for relatively cheaper.but it helps if you can call them at 4576380.

if u can get it cheaper... i suggest you buy the 50mm 1.8 lense too. they sell it for $110. just a suggestion k

all the best bro...

Status
Not open for further replies.