Can recommend a B&W film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablo

Feb 14, 2002
Visit site
Tried Tmax400CN but the C41 process(or was it some other factors?) turn the prints sepia.

R there any B&W films that can be developed into true B&W?

Diablo said:
Tried Tmax400CN but the C41 process(or was it some other factors?) turn the prints sepia.

I shot Kodak Tmax100 once. Some was black AND white and the rest was black and white. Haha... B/W very shiok.. but also shiok on the wallet.. :cry:

KNIGHT ONG said:
Try ILFORD, get from Ruby Photo.

Is there any model I shd be looking for? btw, does ruby does processing too?

I like kodak portra 400BW but it is not sold in Sg :cry:

Try Kodak Tri-X or Ilford HP5. Both 400 speed film with nice grain. Note that they are NOT C-41 process, ie they are true black and white films. :D Anyway, you can sepia prints because your photographs are printed on colour paper. Try to get them to print on true black and white paper to get black and white results.

Diablo said:

You should be able to get the prints in B&W although it won't be true B&W. Perhaps you did not indicate to the lab that you wanted them in B&W.

You can try Ilford for true B&W. HP5 or the delta series.

Diablo said:
Is there any model I shd be looking for? btw, does ruby does processing too?

Personally I am in favour of using Ilford FP4, doing own processing. You can check with Ruby whether they do processing and I think they have.

Another film using colour chemical to process is XP2, try ask to lab to adjust to B&W as near as possible, else sipia tone.

ILFORD

Thanks guys, will take note of comments and suggestions.

in the meantime, if got more tips, pls post :D

t400cn getting replaced by bw400cn soon, somewhere this month.

t400cn is design to develop in c41 and printed on bw paper, if u print on colour paper u get a little sepia, if the lab is beri eng, they can adjust it so it will not look so sepia.

the upcoming bw400cn is design to develop in c41 and printed on colour paper without much compensation from the lab. dunno it will fare against t400cn.

tmax100 is a true bw film, it needs the tmax developer which is only available in a few places, ruby charges like $9 to develop and do a contact print, quite expensive compared to t400cn.

Status
Not open for further replies.