Camearas capable of seeing infra-red beams.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Flare

IR filters blocks out most visible light, but allows IR radiation to go through. But since to allow for use on SLR, which wouldn't allow the user to see anything through the view finder if the filter blocks out all the visible light, some of these filters allows some red light to get through. But digital camera with an LCD screen or an EVF, will not have problems with IR filter that blocks out all lightas we can still see the IR image on the LCD or EVF. And since our eyes can't see IR, the image taken may yield very interesting results!

There are two different types (tho you can't really class electromagnetic wave distinctively) of IR, Near IR and Far IR.
Near and Far are in respect to the position of the wavelength in respect to that of visible light on the electromagnetic spectrum. The Far IR is the one used for thermal imaging. Digital cams sees the Near IR, and does not really photography Heat, thus it will not work at night unless you shoot a beam of IR to be reflected (night shot and nightframe of Sony's F707) or you are trying to take pictures of something that is emmiting IR (maybe a big bonfire? just maybe)

Hey Flare....good insight!

Originally posted by mpenza
The Far IR filter costs >>$100. The near IR filter is the one that's cheap.

I'd thought that Thermal Imaging requires specialized equipment...?:dunno:

Originally posted by ark19

I'd thought that Thermal Imaging requires specialized equipment...?:dunno:

you could buy the filter but I'm not sure whether it'll work with cameras or not :p

Originally posted by mpenza

you could buy the filter but I'm not sure whether it'll work with cameras or not :p

:eek: :rolleyes: Too ex to try! :bsmilie:

So u guys are saying NIR and IR filter are different.... how different is the different? I intend to get one 1000nm IR filter but tot of buying Hoya R72, but this filter is a NIR only rite? that's y cheaper.. Any idea where can I get a 1000nm filter in singapore? moreover, my Digital cam is 58mm thread.. so for the Hoya 52mm thread, i don't think is suitable rite? Pls advise

filters usually come in different thread size. The Hoya one should have a 58mm.

anyway, if you have filters of different sizes, you could purchase a step-up/down rings which cost ~$5-10 each.

if you get a "far IR" filter, you need to expose for longer time because less light gets through.

Thanks so much on your advise...

so usually I will need to adjust the shutter speed of 1/30, if i use a R72 infrared filter? I can't just click on that image using normal mode without readjust the shutter speed?

Flare said:
IR filters blocks out most visible light, but allows IR radiation to go through. But since to allow for use on SLR, which wouldn't allow the user to see anything through the view finder if the filter blocks out all the visible light, some of these filters allows some red light to get through. But digital camera with an LCD screen or an EVF, will not have problems with IR filter that blocks out all lightas we can still see the IR image on the LCD or EVF. And since our eyes can't see IR, the image taken may yield very interesting results!

There are two different types (tho you can't really class electromagnetic wave distinctively) of IR, Near IR and Far IR.
Near and Far are in respect to the position of the wavelength in respect to that of visible light on the electromagnetic spectrum. The Far IR is the one used for thermal imaging. Digital cams sees the Near IR, and does not really photography Heat, thus it will not work at night unless you shoot a beam of IR to be reflected (night shot and nightframe of Sony's F707) or you are trying to take pictures of something that is emmiting IR (maybe a big bonfire? just maybe)

hmm... :think:

May be worth pointing out that IR sensitivity is seen as a DEFECT in digital cameras and the manufactures take steps to mitagate it. It can mess up the colours in an image, in particular things that are supposed to be black looking redish instead.

Thus often there are 'hot mirror' filters inside the camera that filter out IR with varying degrees of effectiveness.

So remember putting an IR filter on your camera to block visble light and only allow IR in is 'fighting' aganst the hot-mirror filter inside your camera that is trying to block IR light.

I think the Sony prosumers (717 family) are unque in having the ablity to 'retract' their hot mirror filter out of the light path, restoring the full IR sensitivity of the CCD.

I have a Minolta D7i. Apparently it's hot-mirror was improved over the D7. People were getting some nice IR shots with their D7s. Some went and upgraded to the D7i when it arrived, and then discovered it's improved IR filter meant they couldn't take IR shots any more with the filters they had been using on the D7.

mpenza said:
That was the price shops quoted me. But they all don't have stock. The one I was referring to is Hoya 52mm.

That is cheap! Which shop is that? I want 2 buy one too!

I am also looking for a IR filter.. anyone have?

lol kewl man...

just found out abt the IR "photography" and stuff, am thinking of buying/building a high powered IR light source both for IR Illum (FZ1... :cry: ) and prob even for photography in total darkness (if there's even such a thing!

lol..but of course, no voyeurism involved here whatsoever!!! :sweat: :p

time to save up for a DC.......

Status
Not open for further replies.