Camearas capable of seeing infra-red beams.....


Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#1
Just tested my QV2900UX. It could "see" the infra-red beam being trnasmitted. Infra-red filter, here I come!!! :) btw, don't mistaken me for wanting to get "see-through" effect :p

How about other cameras? Anyone else tried?
 

LifeWorld

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,324
0
0
East Coast
lifeworld.multiply.com
#2
Originally posted by mpenza
Just tested my QV2900UX. It could "see" the infra-red beam being trnasmitted. Infra-red filter, here I come!!! :) btw, don't mistaken me for wanting to get "see-through" effect :p

How about other cameras? Anyone else tried?
Hey what IR beam? How to test?
 

docile

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
51
0
0
doc.lyndy.org
#3
To my knowledge, most ccds in digital camera's are sensitive to IR. Just that some manufacturers mask it internally to remove any undesirable effect. Therefore the sensitivity really depends on how much/effectively its masked.

Hey, do u have any info on where u can get IR filters?

Btw 4900z can see it too.

To test it.. just point any remote control at ure camera and see if theres color at the IR emitter.
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#4
Originally posted by LifeWorld


Hey what IR beam? How to test?
Just take any infra, point at your camera lens and press any button!!! If you can see a light blinking on your LCD screen, your camera can take infra-red shots with a filter!!! ziploc mentioned this I think.
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#5
Originally posted by docile
To my knowledge, most ccds in digital camera's are sensitive to IR. Just that some manufacturers mask it internally to remove any undesirable effect. Therefore the sensitivity really depends on how much/effectively its masked.

Hey, do u have any info on where u can get IR filters?

Most shops are out of stock but could probably order. There's one that cost ~$30 and another one that costs >>$150!!! I would just get the cheaper one to play around with.

btw, did you get any external flash for your 4900? It could help you greatly in indoor conditions to get better lighting. I just got an external flash for my camera too and am very pleased with the result :)
 

rueyloon

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,679
0
0
www.rueyloon.com
#6
ya, what I do is this,

Look using the LCD panel.

Take a remote control, and press some buttons, you'll see that te little "LED" thingy will light up. But you can't see it in real life.
 

LifeWorld

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,324
0
0
East Coast
lifeworld.multiply.com
#7
Originally posted by mpenza


Just take any infra, point at your camera lens and press any button!!! If you can see a light blinking on your LCD screen, your camera can take infra-red shots with a filter!!! ziploc mentioned this I think.
Thnx!
 

M

Megadark

Guest
#8
Originally posted by mpenza


Most shops are out of stock but could probably order. There's one that cost ~$30 and another one that costs >>$150!!! I would just get the cheaper one to play around with.

btw, did you get any external flash for your 4900? It could help you greatly in indoor conditions to get better lighting. I just got an external flash for my camera too and am very pleased with the result :)
Whoa Mpenza, where can I get the $30 IR filter?:eek:
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#9
Originally posted by Megadark


Whoa Mpenza, where can I get the $30 IR filter?:eek:
That was the price shops quoted me. But they all don't have stock. The one I was referring to is Hoya 52mm.
 

#10
Originally posted by mpenza
Just tested my QV2900UX. It could "see" the infra-red beam being trnasmitted. Infra-red filter, here I come!!! :) btw, don't mistaken me for wanting to get "see-through" effect :p

How about other cameras? Anyone else tried?
i guess all dc can see the infra red...
even my ixus V can see the infra red...
 

M

Megadark

Guest
#11
Don't tell me you tried taking IR pictures in the day.:bsmilie:

Originally posted by mpenza
:) btw, don't mistaken me for wanting to get "see-through" effect :p
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#12
Originally posted by Megadark
Don't tell me you tried taking IR pictures in the day.:bsmilie:

I was going to try after I get a filter. It'll be interesting to see things from the infra-red perspective.
 

Paladin

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
723
2
0
47
SGP
Visit site
#13
Originally posted by Megadark
Don't tell me you tried taking IR pictures in the day.:bsmilie:

I think it can only be taken in the day...unless you have a beam of IR light shining on the subject, it may not be of much use...

My G2 can see too!;)
 

ark19

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
3,111
0
0
40
SG
#14
Originally posted by Paladin


I think it can only be taken in the day...unless you have a beam of IR light shining on the subject, it may not be of much use...

My G2 can see too!;)
The IR filter is most effective during the day and especially so when bright sunlight is on the object of interest.

It's not much use in the evening...

Plants and clouds are great to shoot using IR.

Btw, it's Near-Infrared, not Infrared...

For more info, see here

Cheers!
 

Flare

New Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,734
0
0
36
Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
public.fotki.com
#15
Hee Hee, no sun where got IR? My D5 can also see... Now must go look for some high power IR diode and then we can rig our camera to be like 707's night shot liao.... Hee Hee (just kidding)
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#16
Originally posted by Paladin


I think it can only be taken in the day...unless you have a beam of IR light shining on the subject, it may not be of much use...

My G2 can see too!;)
We're taking pictures of "heat"....
 

taicw

New Member
Jan 30, 2002
407
0
0
Northen Singapore
www.pbase.com
#17
Well, like they said most Dig cams can detect the near IR bandwidth unless the manufacturer puts a IR filter inside the cam.

For more info on IR here are some links

http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Infrared/INFRARED.HTM
http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mainpage.htm

The IR filter prices are quite exp for some online ordering websites. You can try John3:16.

I got my Hoya R72 there. They quoted 30 plus but gave me a discount so i paid about 25 bucks for it. They didn't have stock but offered to order it. Came the next day. Good service :)

IR pics are best done on bright sunny days, vegetation, sky and water appear differently due to the different degree of refelection and absorbtion of the NIR wavelengths.

You can have a look at some of the IR pics at my page

http://www.pbase.com/taicw/infrared_test_shots
http://www.pbase.com/taicw/infrared_shots

You'll definitely have fun with it :), I am.
Hope you get it soon.
 

anokewee

New Member
Jan 31, 2002
40
0
0
Visit site
#19
hi guys

Can anyone enlighten me what exactly does an Infra Red filter does? It seems quite an interesting from i gathered around here.. :)
 

Flare

New Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,734
0
0
36
Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
public.fotki.com
#20
Originally posted by anokewee
hi guys

Can anyone enlighten me what exactly does an Infra Red filter does? It seems quite an interesting from i gathered around here.. :)
IR filters blocks out most visible light, but allows IR radiation to go through. But since to allow for use on SLR, which wouldn't allow the user to see anything through the view finder if the filter blocks out all the visible light, some of these filters allows some red light to get through. But digital camera with an LCD screen or an EVF, will not have problems with IR filter that blocks out all lightas we can still see the IR image on the LCD or EVF. And since our eyes can't see IR, the image taken may yield very interesting results!

There are two different types (tho you can't really class electromagnetic wave distinctively) of IR, Near IR and Far IR.
Near and Far are in respect to the position of the wavelength in respect to that of visible light on the electromagnetic spectrum. The Far IR is the one used for thermal imaging. Digital cams sees the Near IR, and does not really photography Heat, thus it will not work at night unless you shoot a beam of IR to be reflected (night shot and nightframe of Sony's F707) or you are trying to take pictures of something that is emmiting IR (maybe a big bonfire? just maybe)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom