Beginners Outing(Part 13)-Tiong Bahru Estate on the 10 July(Photos thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
boss's ultimate weapon
IMG_6634.jpg

Aiya...should be my 16-45 mah:cry:

..... I wish there was a more concerted effort to test the limits of one's photography skills, instead of walking around and aimlessly snapping each other and uninteresting stuff.

I don't know if anyone learned anything from this outing, but I see lots of overexposure, white balance issues, weird compositions, noisy and soft pictures...

As this is a Land/City-scapes thread, I wish there weren't so many snaps of each other. Seems like at least half the photos were of people...

Hmm, sad to say but I got to agree with you :sweat:

Well, as the thread itself says, this is a beginner's outing, so I guess it can be pardon that some of the shots are off the expectional... but honestly, like you i do hope to see improvement as time goes by...

I am sure that there are some who learnt from this outing.. in fact, I didnt get to shoot much as I have been spending time explaining to fellow photographers about the white balance, composition, apeture, rule of third, iso etc.. I do those few whom I talked to throughout the outing learnt something of this :think:

nope, i pp to make it film like :D ~
added noise HAHAHA!

I see.. but prob is I dun see that is like a fim shot.. lol.. haha

Thanks. Already set back to 0. Guess I need to shoot more to better understand it. Reading is more theory ba.. I think must need practical also than can determine how well I understand those theory.:(

Dun worry, practice makes perfect.. i m sure your next few shots will be better..

Sorry, for my straight forwardness, but I feel that there's no effort put in in these shots. I guess most of you guys just randomly shoot just of the sake of shooting. Of the shots, I feel there's nothing interesting.

Guys, I'm sure in a hot sunny day, ISO 100, f/8 or higher would be good.

Sorry for my straight forwardness.

P.S, Cleon, mind sharing with us why do you put a external flash when shooting in a sunny day ? Interesting leh.. Or you wanna look "PRO" ??:bsmilie:;)

Sorry, for my straight forwardness, but I feel that there's no effort put in in these shots. I guess most of you guys just randomly shoot just of the sake of shooting. Of the shots, I feel there's nothing interesting.

Guys, I'm sure in a hot sunny day, ISO 100, f/8 or higher would be good.

Sorry for my straight forwardness.

i felt that too, most just see and shoot.
why not get a PnS -.- !

why not get a PnS -.- !

If its juz potrait shots I feel, they're quite ok, in fact some of them do capture the moments.. but when ZCA mention bout the theme... i started to tink otherwise, there are mainly snapshots than composed pictures..

Even if it is a PnS, it does not mean that we can just anyhow see and shoot. if one is serious about learning photography then one should put in the effort to learn and improve. From the pics being posted here, I cannot but help wonder if it is more appropriate if it is moved to the newbie section.

why not get a PnS -.- !

If its juz potrait shots I feel, they're quite ok, in fact some of them do capture the moments.. but when ZCA mention bout the theme... i started to tink otherwise, there are mainly snapshots than composed pictures..

aww i just shoot streets..
not about landscape :x ~
sorry if i posted in wrong area :X ~

aww i just shoot streets..
not about landscape :x ~
sorry if i posted in wrong area :X ~

I feel looking through the pics again, its more into streets rather than landscape.. so we might have posted at the wrong place..

Tiong Bahru Estate is our purposed theme.. but have we brought out the essence of this neighbourhood? :think:

my first post in this thread got landscape pic :D ~

The 3 IMPORTANT things in PHOTOGRAPHY!

4779484067_988d6f1c9b.jpg

I don't know if anyone learned anything from this outing, but I see lots of overexposure, white balance issues, weird compositions, noisy and soft pictures...

I learnt a lot from this outing -- about my own weaknesses as a photographer. Taking it up again since I left it in the early 1980s, and reading up for the last six months, nothing beats getting into the field, and discovering all the mistakes I'm making despite all these.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45687287@N03/4783188554/
LESSON 1: Watch your horizon

LESSON 2: REMEMBER to set your aperture/shutter speed to the previous settings. I forgot, and many subsequent shots were blurred because of the slow shutter speed I used.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45687287@N03/4783188560/in/photostream/

photostream

LESSON 3: Watch your composition. Don't cut off anything important... just like cutting the top of that pretty girl's head in the previous pix.

photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45687287@N03/4783188566/in/photostream/
LESSON 4: Keep chimping at the LCF screen. It was a very bright day, and I couldn't see the LCD images and gave up even when I was in the shade. Got me a loupe now, especially since I got only a 2.7" LCD on my D70. I could/ve used my pop-up flash to brighten up the foreground (which was the main subject); used a bigger aperture to blur the background more. I may want to go back to Tiong Bahru and reshoot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45687287@N03/4782585445/
Same lessons. Could've opened up the aperture more for extra blur

So, it's not just about learning, but also how you learn.

Cleonbus -- Keep the outings coming. We all can learn something or other.

HELP! Why are my Flickr photos not showing?

Last edited:
my first post in this thread got landscape pic :D ~

The 3 IMPORTANT things in PHOTOGRAPHY!

4779484067_988d6f1c9b.jpg

I hope this wasn't put up as a positive example.
Aside from being sharp, there aren't many other positives.
Nothing interesting that stands out as a subject. It's just a building photographed at a weird angle.
Chopped off trees at the top-right and right.
The B&W image lacks much tonal range... It's a lot of black and light grey, and not many tones in between.

The fact that someone could shoot so many overexposed photographs, then let someone else find out from the EXIF that the exposure compensation was set very high... What was he doing throughout the shoot? Surprised that nobody was able to help him.

I hope this wasn't put up as a positive example.
Aside from being sharp, there aren't many other positives.
Nothing interesting that stands out as a subject. It's just a building photographed at a weird angle.
Chopped off trees at the top-right and right.
The B&W image lacks much tonal range... It's a lot of black and light grey, and not many tones in between.

alright :) ~

will improve.

I feel looking through the pics again, its more into streets rather than landscape.. so we might have posted at the wrong place..

Tiong Bahru Estate is our purposed theme.. but have we brought out the essence of this neighbourhood? :think:

Yes, now we are beginning to ask the right questions! If Tiong Bahru was chosen as a photoshoot area, there must be something special about it, something that sets it apart from any other estate. As a street shooter, i come in to threads like these to see the potential of a place, whether i should visit it myself later. So far, i've yet to see the spirit or mood or tone of Tiong Bahru. Its essence is missing. :dunno:

I feel the structure of the whole outing needs a relook. It seems the group is too large without enough guides/seniors to support. Do consider breaking up the large group into smaller sizes, led by a competent guide instead of having everyone OTOT shoot themselves. Reason is that first timers may feel too shy to ask questions or may not know who to ask in such a big group. Once they start walking, they may also separate from the few guides available and tend to congregate, newbies with newbies. So, promote those more capable ones to guides like iczan and a few others if any. Then as the regulars improve, you'll have a bigger and more steady pool of guides to support the outing. Newbies benefit more that way. :think:

Based on the choice of theme, I do not have any to share except for the group photo taken, so I am limiting myself to just this shot..

4783326540_243012a348_b.jpg

1st row(Squatting): iszan, ethanwind, torak, ???, ???, Valkrieangel, axis90x, longshu, cleonbus
2nd row(Standing): starsfruit, ???, ???, calvinmcl, sonngx's friend, sonngx, nmaishari, ???, ???, Scoop, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, TianZhong, rahmansaid

The fact that someone could shoot so many overexposed photographs, then let someone else find out from the EXIF that the exposure compensation was set very high... What was he doing throughout the shoot? Surprised that nobody was able to help him.

I guess its kinda of big group.. everybody was eager to find out their answer. :rolleyes:

4783326540_243012a348_b.jpg

1st row(Squatting): iszan, ethanwind, torak, ???, Skylover, Valkrieangel, axis90x, longshu, cleonbus
2nd row(Standing): starsfruit, ???, ???, calvinmcl, sonngx's friend, sonngx, nmaishari, ???, ???, Scoop, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???, TianZhong, rahmansaid

Status
Not open for further replies.