Baya Weaver - With an attitude (Series I)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chngpe01

Staff member
This male Baya Weaver was zealously guarding his nest, when another male Baya Weaver tried to intrude into his space. This is sure one mean Baya Weaver. (pic uncropped)

BayaWeaver_0917.jpg

BayaWeaver_0939.jpg

BayaWeaver_0942.jpg

BayaWeaver_0944.jpg

BayaWeaver_0954.jpg

:eek: stunning shots

:thumbsup:

Excellent series.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Peng Eik

Very nice series of nature in actions shots......outstanding!!. As these are very shy birds, you must be very well hidden from them. :gbounce:

Cheers

Steven Tor

You must be very proud. These are great shots! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

great shots; looks like it was shot in pretty bright light so it must have been very hot for you indeed :)

I'm no big gun but nice shots! Care to share your setup and how you took the shots with us?

Thank.

Originally posted by Newman
I'm no big gun but nice shots! Care to share your setup and how you took the shots with us?

Thank.

Hi Newman,

Your comments are also equally important to me.

My setup is as follows:

500mmf4, 1.4x TC, ISO 400, aperture priority, centre weighted metering, f5.6, 1/320 - 1/400(camera controlled) depending on photo. Flash -1.2EV.

Look for good background from different angle. Approach the subject very very slowly and crouching, cover myself and equipment with hat and camo net. Slowly move closer stop and move etc, bird must be comfortable with you. Then wait and take pics. And have alot of luck to spot such nest. Was there for 1/2 a day, as erwinx has mentioned it was hot.

300mm with 2 x TC should also suffice, Fred and his gf was with me, they had this setup. I am sure they would also have taken good pics too.

That's my little secret. :)

Originally posted by chngpe01
Hi Newman,

Your comments are also equally important to me.

My setup is as follows:

500mmf4, 1.4x TC, ISO 400, aperture priority, centre weighted metering, f5.6, 1/320 - 1/400(camera controlled) depending on photo. Flash -1.2EV.

Look for good background from different angle. Approach the subject very very slowly and crouching, cover myself and equipment with hat and camo net. Slowly move closer stop and move etc, bird must be comfortable with you. Then wait and take pics. And have alot of luck to spot such nest. Was there for 1/2 a day, as erwinx has mentioned it was hot.

300mm with 2 x TC should also suffice, Fred and his gf was with me, they had this setup. I am sure they would also have taken good pics too.

That's my little secret. :)

Good technique not to disturb the nesting birds too much but maybe you could try not to use flash as well to reduce the chances of the parent birds abandoning the nest & any chicks. The welfare of the birds should always come first & not getting the best shot, IMHO.

Thanks for the tips guys. Yep I agree with cyrilng that wildlife welfare should be first priority. Otherwise they won't be there for us to take photos in future.

Originally posted by cyrilng
Good technique not to disturb the nesting birds too much but maybe you could try not to use flash as well to reduce the chances of the parent birds abandoning the nest & any chicks. The welfare of the birds should always come first & not getting the best shot, IMHO.

Yes, all photographer who goes for nature shots must put the welfare of the subjects as priority no matter how rewarding the shots could be.

However, I have not encountered birds that are disturbed by flashes from flash lights except if they are noctural in nature. Maybe those experienced birders (not photgraphers) could enlighten this concern. The presence of human activities near the nesting sites are the most disturbing factors in most circumstances if one intruded into their private space. I guess Peng Eik and his friends had taken the measures not to disturb the birds. It could be confirmed by heading back to the sites to observe if the birds are having their normal activities. One of the important factor is the discovery of such nesting sites should not be make known to the public and to be kept strictly confidential.

If this is not observed, it is for sure the nesting site would be gone forever. Just my two cents worth opinion to share with CS members.

Cheers

Steven Tor

Excellent work!!!

Here is my noise regarding the editing. I think all the above shots are good, however, maybe you should show us only ONE shot (to me it's the 3rd) to maximize the impact. This is the lesson I learnt last time.:)

Keep it up and happy shooting, man!

Originally posted by cyrilng

Cyril Ng

Thank you for your advise, and I agree with you on getting a good shot as secondary, to the welfare of the birds.

It is my personal believe as well as that of many nature photog that one has to know the subject well and have a love for it. ie. know the habit, its comfort zone and when to take or not to take a pics. I have come across many nest with chicks etc and not take a pic for the sake of not frightening the parents into abandoning the chicks or eggs.

It is precisely for this reason, or else I would not have bother to spend 1/2 a day under hot sun and threatening rain doing IFC and inflitration. And have a car booth fill with camoflague net, camouflague umbrella etc

I am no expert in birds but I have study the Baya Weaver habits and have read extensively on it. And even know where to look for them.

The birds to be precise the male(the one with yellow crown which appear during breeding season), at this stage are building not one nest, but many nests to attract the female. Once the female after inspecting the choosen nest and is satisfy will then pair up with the male and help build the nest together, mate and lay eggs.

Hence this stage (where the photo is taken) the nest is only near half completed and awaiting for the female to choose. Therefore there are no eggs nor chicks, nor chances of the male abandoning its nest, if ever it is because the female has rejected it.

I just want to put the facts correct, or else other readers might get away with the idea that I am irresponsible and have no regards for the welfare of the eggs or chicks as implied in your post.

As for the issue of flash, I think Steven have sufficiently address it, there are many other nature photo sites which also talk about this subject of flash.

I notice that I am sort of closely "monitored" by you (hope I am wrong). I remember when I posted the Red-waitted Lapwing, you questioned me a couple of times on the location of my sighting until you finally admitted the motivation of you questioning was because of a similar post in the pigeon-hole forum. Thus implying that I could have lynch the pics. Fortunately I managed to find out through my friends and finally I got to meet Henry the guy, I saw taking the Lapwing pictures after I packed up. I was told that you have infact PM him to ask him for the location!

I hope I have clarify myself and I have no desire to engage in any politics of nature photographers. I just want to persue a wonderrful hobby.

Thank You and Good Day

Status
Not open for further replies.