BALI

My advice is to bring a UWA lens if you want to take good landscape photos. My last trip I brought my Canon 16-35 still not good enough. If everything goes as planned I may take a trip down on 26 Oct. If you guys are there can try to contact me.

My advice is to bring a UWA lens if you want to take good landscape photos. My last trip I brought my Canon 16-35 still not good enough. If everything goes as planned I may take a trip down on 26 Oct. If you guys are there can try to contact me.

yo, i am going on the 23th, hows ur itinerary like?

oh... few of us might bump into each other... hahaha.... well i will notice who walk around with D90 and canon guy...
Safe trip bro.

hi mushymellow, i will be staying there for 7 days 6 nights
i plan to base at kuta and ubud

should i bring everything out? or is it safe to leave it in the hotel (i am more concern abt my dslr equipment)?

Also, along the way, is it easy to buy water or is there toilets ard?
wow 6 nights is quite a substantial trip. More than most people :)
Ok you should be able to cover a great deal of Bali then.
Refer to the map of Bali as you plan your itinerary. Have you made accomodation bookings yet? If that is the case, then you itinerary needs to be planned around that.

Ubud is quite central in Bali, but if you go to the very south of the island (eg Nusa Dua area), then it's still quite a long journey back to your hotel in Ubud. And if you travel at night, road safety is something to think about.

I think the safety of your belongings in the hotel is also related to how reputable the hotel is. It is not without risk of course. But on the flipside, if you carry all your gear and it weighs you down, it will be to the detriment of your enjoyment as well. I have been quite 'gung-ho' and left valuables in my luggage in the hotel room, and so far (touch wood) all has been ok. Not saying that this is definitely the way to go of course...

Toilets seem to be far less common than in Singapore, and usually much more crudely constructed. I remember the one near Ubud's famous babi guling ibu oka was a dark room with a hole in it! :)
So be careful if you have diarrhoea, then might be problematic.

Last edited:
wow 6 nights is quite a substantial trip. More than most people :)
Ok you should be able to cover a great deal of Bali then.
Refer to the map of Bali as you plan your itinerary. Have you made accomodation bookings yet? If that is the case, then you itinerary needs to be planned around that.

Ubud is quite central in Bali, but if you go to the very south of the island (eg Nusa Dua area), then it's still quite a long journey back to your hotel in Ubud. And if you travel at night, road safety is something to think about.

I think the safety of your belongings in the hotel is also related to how reputable the hotel is. It is not without risk of course. But on the flipside, if you carry all your gear and it weighs you down, it will be to the detriment of your enjoyment as well. I have been quite 'gung-ho' and left valuables in my luggage in the hotel room, and so far (touch wood) all has been ok. Not saying that this is definitely the way to go of course...

Toilets seem to be far less common than in Singapore, and usually much more crudely constructed. I remember the one near Ubud's famous babi guling ibu oka was a dark room with a hole in it! :)
So be careful if you have diarrhoea, then might be problematic.

Hmm... For ubud and kuta, it seems so huge, should I tell the driver exactly where to go in ubud and kuta, and should I let the driver decides where to go for meals as I totally no idea where to go for meals and at the same time I was also afraid that the driver would just bring me somewhere that he can earn commission insted of really nice...

Hmm... For ubud and kuta, it seems so huge, should I tell the driver exactly where to go in ubud and kuta, and should I let the driver decides where to go for meals as I totally no idea where to go for meals and at the same time I was also afraid that the driver would just bring me somewhere that he can earn commission insted of really nice...
actually hor, since you have quite a lot of time, better not to have the driver bring you here and there all the time. Ubud centre is walkable. Lots of food and shopping (curios) and spas there. I only spent half a day there. Basically told the driver to drop us there and come back 5 hours later. We had lunch at Ibu Oka and walked around, then went for massage.

Walking around allows you the time to take in the sights and sounds and smells... :)

actually hor, since you have quite a lot of time, better not to have the driver bring you here and there all the time. Ubud centre is walkable. Lots of food and shopping (curios) and spas there. I only spent half a day there. Basically told the driver to drop us there and come back 5 hours later. We had lunch at Ibu Oka and walked around, then went for massage.

Walking around allows you the time to take in the sights and sounds and smells... :)

oh ok, cos u see, i only know ubud has rice padi field and rice terrace and temples all that, but exactly where are these, i dun know... so i was wondering, if it would be better to tell the driver that i wanna explore the padi fields and some stone sculpture/carvings/monuments in ubud, but i dun know exactly where it is, etc etc...?

:dunno:

oh ok, cos u see, i only know ubud has rice padi field and rice terrace and temples all that, but exactly where are these, i dun know... so i was wondering, if it would be better to tell the driver that i wanna explore the padi fields and some stone sculpture/carvings/monuments in ubud, but i dun know exactly where it is, etc etc...?

:dunno:
My typical pre-trip planning (if there is to be photography involved) is to look at photo forums to get an idea of what is nice there.

Thankfully on CS we have many great photogs who have created threads on Bali. Just off the top of my head I can think of night86mare.

So then you have a shortlist of places to visit, and then looking at the map you plan your itinerary (and accomodation) around there. As to actually getting there, just leave it to the driver :)

by the way, I MUCH prefer the padi terraces at Jatiluwih. Ubud doesn't quite have the nice terrain. Even further north towards Bedugul (where the famous Pura Ulun Danu Bratan is), the terrain is more mountainous and nicer for padi terraces. There's one I really liked in a town called Pacung. If you see the other Bali thread I linked for you, there's info on that there...

My typical pre-trip planning (if there is to be photography involved) is to look at photo forums to get an idea of what is nice there.

Thankfully on CS we have many great photogs who have created threads on Bali. Just off the top of my head I can think of night86mare.

So then you have a shortlist of places to visit, and then looking at the map you plan your itinerary (and accomodation) around there. As to actually getting there, just leave it to the driver :)

by the way, I MUCH prefer the padi terraces at Jatiluwih. Ubud doesn't quite have the nice terrain. Even further north towards Bedugul (where the famous Pura Ulun Danu Bratan is), the terrain is more mountainous and nicer for padi terraces. There's one I really liked in a town called Pacung. If you see the other Bali thread I linked for you, there's info on that there...

oh okie, thanks!
By the way, did u get that sim card for phone calls and internet access etc etc?

oh okie, thanks!
By the way, did u get that sim card for phone calls and internet access etc etc?
no... Bali was my chance to 'shut off'...
only used the free internet terminal at one of the hotels I stayed.
But maybe you can consider getting those prepaid SIM cards. Might be useful for your long trip.

I dun have a planned itinerary. I'm planning a trip for my staffs during our Lunar New Year break and is exploring the activities available there. Besides, my friend also goes to buy art & crafts for his shop.

7 days 6 nights you'll practically cover all the interesting photographic spots. However I find you really not sure how to get about doing what you want to do. Why don't you try contacting the guy I recommended you. I'm quite sure you won't regret using his service. So far we get positive feedback from those we recommended.

My friend recently used his service to go rafting. While they were rafting he went and que 1 hour to buy babi guling for them. They were so impressed by his service that they gave him big tips and asked for his name cards to recommend to friends.

Anyway I'll give you his mobile no. +628164705011. Call him if you have problems there. Fyi he's also quite interested in photography and will help you carry your gears.

Stepped Padi field, try the one at Tegalalang. You can sit at the coffee terrace and enjoy you drinks and same time take the padi field right in front of you.

Cheers

hi mushymellow, i will be staying there for 7 days 6 nights
i plan to base at kuta and ubud

should i bring everything out? or is it safe to leave it in the hotel (i am more concern abt my dslr equipment)?

Also, along the way, is it easy to buy water or is there toilets ard?

As someone mentioned, it really depends on the hotel that you stay in. I took all my equipment along (not much to begin with) 2 lenses and a tripod. :D Not that I was afraid of the safety but more for the sake of not bringing the right equipment.

For water and drinks, you can easily find a Circle K (similar to 7-11) and mini-marts in touristy places.

If you are in Ubud, I would suggest that you try Bebek Bengil (Dirty Dark) instead of Babi Guling. Its overrated and I had diarrhoea the next day. Hygiene doesnt exist if you see the way they prepare.

I dun have a planned itinerary. I'm planning a trip for my staffs during our Lunar New Year break and is exploring the activities available there. Besides, my friend also goes to buy art & crafts for his shop.

7 days 6 nights you'll practically cover all the interesting photographic spots. However I find you really not sure how to get about doing what you want to do. Why don't you try contacting the guy I recommended you. I'm quite sure you won't regret using his service. So far we get positive feedback from those we recommended.

My friend recently used his service to go rafting. While they were rafting he went and que 1 hour to buy babi guling for them. They were so impressed by his service that they gave him big tips and asked for his name cards to recommend to friends.

Anyway I'll give you his mobile no. +628164705011. Call him if you have problems there. Fyi he's also quite interested in photography and will help you carry your gears.

Stepped Padi field, try the one at Tegalalang. You can sit at the coffee terrace and enjoy you drinks and same time take the padi field right in front of you.

Cheers

yes, is this email rite? "nengah_gunadi@yahoo.com"

i have emailed him :)

it would be best if he can recommend all the places that i can have a good photography trip, haha

As someone mentioned, it really depends on the hotel that you stay in. I took all my equipment along (not much to begin with) 2 lenses and a tripod. :D Not that I was afraid of the safety but more for the sake of not bringing the right equipment.

For water and drinks, you can easily find a Circle K (similar to 7-11) and mini-marts in touristy places.

If you are in Ubud, I would suggest that you try Bebek Bengil (Dirty Dark) instead of Babi Guling. Its overrated and I had diarrhoea the next day. Hygiene doesnt exist if you see the way they prepare.

oh my god... the food there is this bad ar...

No worry, just take some Poh Chai Pill along....

don't forget all the small-small things.... :)

I knew of one person who went on a holiday with his gear, then reached the destination and realized he forgot to pack his quick-release plate for the ballhead.... ~suck thumb~

ok guys, these are the area, i plan to visit, but haven decide which day visit wat

number 1-6 will base in ubud

and number 7 onwards will base in kuta

maybe from the map, i think in sequence? (not v sure on this)

1) ubud - ancient temples, rice field, intend to go to Goa Gajah (elephant cave), Gunung Kawl (paddy field, cave), Pura Kehen (temple) , Tirta Empul (hot spring), Yeh Pulu (holy walk)

2) Tegallalang Rice terrace

3) Kintamani

4) Lake bratan - volcano, temple by the lake, botanical garden

5) Jatiluwih - rice terrace, hiking

6) Munduk - waterfall, trekking

7) from here onwards haven plan... kuta, then nusa dua beach, tanak lot...

so guys, please give ur comments from number 1 - 6, thanks!!! :)