Aug Outing - Portraits (aka XMM shoots) photo sharing

Trying to understand lighting model with reflector.
Should we use point exposure ? under this situation ? or multi segment ? or does not make a difference ?

Thanks.

Model is in shade and bkgnd is in the open.
The exposure difference is too big (called exposure latitude)
You expose for one, the other gets blown or too dark.

To lessen the exposure difference, you can use the reflector to get light to the model.

9538592338_f368e2f2a3_c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: poseur
Trying to understand lighting model with reflector.
Should we use point exposure ? under this situation ? or multi segment ? or does not make a difference ?

Thanks.

Ok.

Give you an example.

Assume you have ISO 100 as constant
For proper exposure,
Bkgnd needs f16 1/100
Sharon needs f1.4 1/100

so they are 7 stops different in exposure
You exposure for model, bkgnd is blown;
You exposure for bkgnd, model is dark.

So if you use a reflector, the exposure needed for model shifts to say
f5.6 1/100
Thats 3 stops diff to the bkgnd exposure (and the bkgnd is reasonably exposed but will look brighter than model)

But wait....
You want shallow DOF and shoot at f1.4
So you change f5.6 to f1.4 (4 stops) and you shift your shutter speed faster from 1/100 to 1/1600 to compensate.

IMO, it does not matter what metering mode you use (thats falling back to letting the camera control you and not you control the camera)
More important is that you know what to adjust for after the first wrong shot.
Alternatively, you can point the camera to only have the bkgnd and see what is the exposure values,
then point only to model and check that exposure so that you know what is the difference in exposure btwn them (and then work on it accordingly)
For this, either spot meter or center weighted can be easier (to 'point' to )

If you are unclear, I suggest you do some reading on exposure.
As you can see, it can get pretty long winded and I'm not that good at explaining it in text.

Otherwise, can always talk/try during next outing.

Reactions: iamnubie
Thanks JK, understood your point and line of thoughts.

Ok.

Give you an example.

Assume you have ISO 100 as constant
For proper exposure,
Bkgnd needs f16 1/100
Sharon needs f1.4 1/100

so they are 7 stops different in exposure
You exposure for model, bkgnd is blown;
You exposure for bkgnd, model is dark.

So if you use a reflector, the exposure needed for model shifts to say
f5.6 1/100
Thats 3 stops diff to the bkgnd exposure (and the bkgnd is reasonably exposed but will look brighter than model)

But wait....
You want shallow DOF and shoot at f1.4
So you change f5.6 to f1.4 (4 stops) and you shift your shutter speed faster from 1/100 to 1/1600 to compensate.

IMO, it does not matter what metering mode you use (thats falling back to letting the camera control you and not you control the camera)
More important is that you know what to adjust for after the first wrong shot.
Alternatively, you can point the camera to only have the bkgnd and see what is the exposure values,
then point only to model and check that exposure so that you know what is the difference in exposure btwn them (and then work on it accordingly)
For this, either spot meter or center weighted can be easier (to 'point' to )

If you are unclear, I suggest you do some reading on exposure.
As you can see, it can get pretty long winded and I'm not that good at explaining it in text.

Otherwise, can always talk/try during next outing.

One of Ray-Ray
9538954952_906d76b658_c.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't mind, I did a quick edit of your pic.

9529604177_18bbd00efb_c.jpg2

9529604177_18bbd00efb_c2.jpg

I don't mind.. it gives me another perspective. Removing the tripod from background make the picture kinda of weird. with the light source just there. Still nice but not as nice the 2nd one which is cropped and tilted.

Thanks Baracus for the quick edit and inputs... more food for thoughts.

Finally, now then had time to load more photos from outing.

#1 Martini sharing his KUNG FU with disciples !
_R010746.JPG

#4 The Triangle set up > Model--Primary light--secondary light forms a triable positions, ( Martini - what is the right term to describe this set up ?)
_R010753.JPG

#1 Kungfu panda in action!!!! i really like this!!!

#5 ratio lighting , 2 light place left and right 45 deg each to subject.

didnt u listen properly when i introduce Sharon to our group. i ask Imam to come in front and say he is your number 1 FANBOY!!!

can i be rei rei no1 fanboy? or is it taken liao? :embrass:

Wah! everyone is so fast posted already. Sharing my first model shoot photo.... Comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: poseur
My shot on Sharon. Comments are welome.

There are two frames shot by FA50.
Let's me guess. The 2 FA50/1.4 shots are:

#1. Can be easily recognized (I think) from the flare amount, the octo shape of the bokeh (8 blades) and the 8 rays from the light source.
#3. The contrast look a bit low comparing to #2 (assumed that you did not push up the contrast of the #2 in post processing).

The flare control of the #2 is quite good so I think it is from the FA77

;)

Last edited:
Yeah, told you that you'd love it. Next time put it in better use when you guys bring those beautiful models to a park (where you got more room to move) ;)

Thanks Frank for a really great lens for portraiture. :)

Anyone else want to get poisoned by the DA*200/2.8 and the DA*50-135/2.8 kekeke ;p

Thanks Frank for a really great lens for portraiture. :)

Anyone else want to get poisoned by the DA*200/2.8 and the DA*50-135/2.8 kekeke ;p
Not me, Felix! keke ....

Bingo! #2 is FA77mm, you know your lens!
all photos no PP except to cut out the flash pod to keep it out of frame.

Let's me guess. The 2 FA50/1.4 shots are:

#1. Can be easily recognized (I think) from the flare amount, the octo shape of the bokeh (8 blades) and the 8 rays from the light source.
#3. The contrast look a bit low comparing to #2 (assumed that you did not push up the contrast of the #2 in post processing).

The flare control of the #2 is quite good so I think it is from the FA77

;)