Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
since now! how bout Alonso?...Spaniard midfield:thumbsup:

I am hoping for a more tough tackling midfielder instead...to whack those around fabregas

We never really did replace PV4 since he left :cry:

====================================
Fancy a Walcott, Fabregas, Xabi Alonso, Nasri midfield? By Myles Palmer

Xabi Alonso would be fantastic at Arsenal.

If Liverpool sign Barry, they will sell Alonso

He is an all-round midfield player who would add something special : class and experience.

He is 26 and a strategic anchorman-playmaker who can read the game and hit 40-yard passes and 25-yard shots. He is the best long-passer in the EPL. He speaks English, knows the Premier League inside out, and has won the Champions League.

However, I've heard his family is happily settled on Merseyside.

Rafa has to fund his acquisition of Gareth Barry by unloading Xabi Alonso for between £12m and £16m.

Only Rafa knows whether he wants to play Lucas and Mascherano in the middle and Barry on the left side. Would Barry accept that? Maybe. Like Robbie Keane, Barry is desperate to play Champions League football.

Xabi Alonso is just what Arsenal need.

And playing at the Emirates would revive him. I really hope he comes. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Liverpool signed Xabi Alonso from Real Sociedad for £10.5m in 2004.

Inter Milan have offered £10m for him. He fancied Juventus but Rafa turned down their £15m offer. And Luis Aragones wants him at Fenerbahce.

For years, I wondered why Arsene didn't sign a few foreign players from the Prem. Nobody ever wrote about that. Nobody ever pointed it out.

Then he signed William Gallas when Ashley Cole went the other way.

Aug 4, 2008

Tonite is the night...
=============================
Wenger will be happy with a draw and no more injuries

By Myles Palmer

I thought Denilson would be important tonight. And that was before Fabregas dropped out with a hamstring injury.

His replacement will be Aaron Ramsey, a tenacious seventeen year old who is mobile and technical. He can play early passes accurately. Ramsey will be OK as long as he doesn't try to dribble in silly areas.

With Sagna doing the work of two men on one side, and Clichy doing the work of three on the other, Arsenal should be OK. I think they'll push up and press and keep pressing and out-run Twente.

Kolo Toure is also injured, so Djourou partners Gallas.

Arsene admitted, "It's the most problematic start, numbers-wise. If you consider at the moment we have Song at the Olympics, we have Diaby, Rosicky, Nasri, Fabregas, Eduardo, Senderos and Kolo out. I have said many times we are short of one player, and I hope I will be capable of doing something this week, or before the transfer deadline."

The first goal will be vital tonight. Absolutely crucial. All along, I've thought this match might be a draw. Arsene will be happy with an away goal, a draw, and no more injuries.

Liverpool are in Belgium tonight.

Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres have trained together but hardly played together. They had 45 minutes together against Lazio, and 45 against Villarreal, in two friendlies

In the Nou Camp, Alex Hleb might play his first competitive game for Barcelona against Wislaw Krakow. It will be interesting to see if new coach pep Guardiola starts new man Seydou Keita or Yaya Toure in central midfield.

Probable teams :

ARSENAL (4-4-2): Almunia; Sagna, Djourou, Gallas, Clichy; Eboué, Denilson,Ramsey, Walcott; Adebayor, Van Persie.

FC TWENTE (4-5-1): Boschker; Wilkshire, Wielaert, Douglas, Braafheid; Tiote,Brama, Janssen, Denneboom, Arnautovic; Elia

Referee: Mr. Mallenco (Spain)

LIVERPOOL (4-4-2): Reina; Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena; Kuyt, Plessis,Alonso, Benayoun; Keane, Torres.

STANDARD LIEGE (4-4-2): Espinoza; Marcos, Sarr, Fellaini, Dante; Dalmat, Witsul, Defour, Toama; Mbokani, De Camargo.

Referee: Mr Ovrebo (Norway).

Aug 13, 2008

We got the result we needed against Twenty ;p

Now for WBA, the writer (Myles Palmer) seems confident that we are signing Inler... see if his tips are zun or not..

Seems like we found a replacement for Flamini.. and (fingers crossed) PV4? :bsmilie:

=======================
Ghokhan Inler will take No.18 shirt By Myles Palmer

He's 24 and six foot tall.

He's not a bantamweight.

In style and build he's a bit like Hernanes, the Brazilian in the Olympic squad.

He's powerful and mobile and has a good shot and would link well with Fabregas and Bendtner.

I reckon Arsenal will sign Gokhan Inler next week.

And we'll soon find out if he can link well with Adebayor and van Persie.

Inler would play more freely for Arsenal than he did in Serie A, which is far more tactical. He could be a D-warrior, a guy who gets around the D and hits cannonball shots. Arsenal really need somebody like that. An attacking team needs to seize the initiative, get forward, score the first goal. And Inler can help them do that. They need a D-bomber, especially in home games. A big ground needs spectacular gladiators and Inler looks like someone with the potential to become a spectacular gladiator.

Also - I'm guessing here - I think he would like playing with No.8 Samir Nasri.

So Gokhan Inler could be the right man. He could be the missing piece of the jigsaw.

As you know, he's Swiss and plays for Switzerland. But he's of Turkish extraction.

Inler speaks English and might fit in quickly. He would be a big help in the Group Stage of the Champions League, for a start.

Aug 15, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.