Anyone taking pics of meteor shower on 18 Nov?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone taking photos tonight

I'm interested..:)

Where is that japanese garden? is that the one inside the chinese garden guys?:dunno:

Can some one share with me, when will this thing end? And how long it actually last? Is it going to happen on wednesday morning? Or its over already?

nope... its happening tonight. And also tonight is the expected peak period of the meteor shower. Those not familiar with astronomy might wish to see this link :)

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/meteors/3304061.html

Alrite, Means i have not missed it. So when wud this happen? Anyone any idea? Any location? Thanks. I am so excited abt it. Hope i end work early tonight....

Is the Japanese Gardens really the best place to watch the shower? Or would somewhere more rural and remote with no buildings be better? Anyone knows? or should we trust the science center?

Does anybody know whether i should be using long exposure noise reduction?

Using the long exposure noise reduction will take your cam double the time to record the image.

i.e. 30sec exposure + 30sec of noise reduction process = 1min recording time

Switch off noise reduction, dynamic lighting and whatever camera processing. That will affect the image quality.

Is the Japanese Gardens really the best place to watch the shower? Or would somewhere more rural and remote with no buildings be better? Anyone knows? or should we trust the science center?

You want Science center to organise event somewhere rural & remote, expect people go 3am meh...lol:bsmilie:

But tink I'll go look see 3am, better than waiting in some remote field somewhere, with wild dogs looking at me hungry...

Hmm, better bring mosquito repellent along?
And 3am maybe chilly?

Pretty interesting...

Anyone can guide me a little on this shower?
Like to experiment with video shooting this shower with a loan DSLR.

I'm staying up north at Woodland. Have a loan 7D with no telephoto lens but a 85mm prime and 24-70 in hand right now.
Mind shredding some knowledge to how i can try to capture this shower with what i have?
I do not have transport so meaning i will have to move to the location before the public transport service stop for the day.

Cheers! Appreciate the effort to guide me! :)

Last edited:
How to photograph the leonids by a veteran of 40 years of leonid watching (ie: ME).

1 - Use a wide angle lens - open it wide open .. ideally 17-24mm on full frame DSLR or 12-17mm on DX sensor.

2) Set ISO to 800 @ f2.8 on the lens.

3) Exposure time approx 40-50 seconds

From Singapore the radient point for the Leonids will be roughly NW and about 70 degrees above the horizon.

Start shooting around 4.00am and finish just on dawn. Adjust for dawn conditions and keep shooting another 10 mins or so.

For optimum shooting use a wide angle video lens hooked up to a video camera with an image intensifier between lens and camera.

NOTE: 40 Leonid meteors per hour includes quite a few which will be naked eye invisible.

In Singapore, light pollution is big enemy for astrophotography. The sky glow may overwhelms the pictures with f2.8 at ISO800 for 40-50s setting.

Its an astronomical event and Asia happens to be in the optimal position when Earth plows into the path of the leftover debris....so any part of Singapore you are standing on should be able to see it so long as there are no clouds.

Bear in mind that Sg is a heavily developed country with lots of urban streetlights, spotlights, lights from HDB etc etc shining ..thus making faint stars and meteors hard to see. Just compare a night sky here with a night sky in rural malaysia or australia...the number of stars that can be seen in sg is really very sad...:(

Last edited:
Was doing some "homework" while waiting for some light to be "shred" on my question and this is what i found:

Location to observe : in Singapore, courtesy of Singastro Org.

Though it is from the old archive, i should be trying my luck at Greenwood Primary near my place since it has been mentioned before in the list.
Else, might be crazy enough to dropby my friend's place at SengKnag and then track my way slowly from 1am to the Punggol end. 2 hours should be enough to get my a55 over there and get ready for the shower. ^^

i will be there but not taking photos.

Using the long exposure noise reduction will take your cam double the time to record the image.

i.e. 30sec exposure + 30sec of noise reduction process = 1min recording time

Yes that's my main concern. I'll be using either ISO 200 with 4 minute exposures or ISO 400 with 2 minute exposures. Noise will be bad without some form of noise reduction.

Its is raining very heavily now. Hope that the sky will clear by then for your star hunters,

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.