Perseid meteor shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmoon78

Apr 27, 2009
Jurong
Is it true ????
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/afp/20090812/tts-space-astronomy-meteors-perseid-c1b2fc3.html

Quote:

PARIS (AFP) - - The night sky will sparkle with "falling stars" on Tuesday and Wednesday as Earth passes through a trail of dusty debris from the Swift-Tuttle Comet, say scientists.

The light show, called the Perseid meteor shower, kicks off each year in late-July and increases in intensity, peaking a couple of weeks later

On a clear night in a dark sky "you should see dozens of meteors per hour," notes Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office.

East Asia is best placed to see the shower at its most intense moment, which is predicted for 1800 GMT on August 12, according to the US publication Sky and Telescope (skyandtelescope.com).

The meteors are also active for many days before and after this date, though the light reflected by a waning quarter moon may obstruct the view somewhat.

The Perseids occur when Earth runs into a trail of dust and pebbles deposited by the comet Swift-Tuttle in its 130-year orbit around the Sun.

This debris strikes the upper atmosphere at around 60 kilometers (37 miles) per second, a speed that causes it to burn up into a white-hot streaks. Bigger chunks can be seen as fireballs.

Meteor showers vary from year to year, depending on the amount of debris.

In the early 1990s, there were several spectacular Perseid shows, with bursts of several hundred meteors per hour.

Meteors are named after the constellation from which they seem to appear -- in this case, Perseus, a northern constellation lying east of Cassiopeia and north of Taurus

Un-Quote:

A small piece of it landed just next to me today!

It started already........too bad its not night yet

Hong Sien

Read it on the net....suppose to start today...
Anyone got any shots???

Another question: Where is Perseus in the sky this time of year? East? North east? Gota have the lens pointed in the right direction to shoot anything...

Another question: Where is Perseus in the sky this time of year? East? North east? Gota have the lens pointed in the right direction to shoot anything...

Its at North-East you can check www.calsky.com for more details. BTW, the sky is very bad lately due to the haze.

This meteor started last night, am I right?

Anyway, sky is so hazy I wonder how to shoot. Hehe! :)

Hmm... I went to sentosa to witness a small meteor shower few years back but did not have a camera in hand to shoot. I wonder if any clubsnappers caught anything nice this year :)?

Status
Not open for further replies.