Anr of HWZ's spin-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey it's even more obvious if u have SCV, they over compressed some ads and many programs have their highlights clipped. During the period where ppl wrote to ST to complain about the reception, the prob was massive pixellation...

anyway I tried using the antenna, the "feel" really is different haha... blurrer.. splined..

not to mention really OT LOL....
well it's good that forums actually mature enough to spin off...
some rival forums trying to outdo Computer Garage or what dun even have flies to swat LOL...

Originally posted by Wai

just to let u know that it is now both analogue and digital already...

yes...u need a setup box or digital TV set or Digital TV card.

btw, is digital TV out in the market yet?

Last time I saw it is at some demo at a hifi show at Suntec last year. Those have settop boxes.

Btw, you are saying in your review the Digital TV card does not work with the SCV cable point? (not to receive SCV programs but regular ones like CNA?)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by denizenx
hey it's even more obvious if u have SCV, they over compressed some ads and many programs have their highlights clipped. During the period where ppl wrote to ST to complain about the reception, the prob was massive pixellation...

anyway I tried using the antenna, the "feel" really is different haha... blurrer.. splined..

Some of the sources might have been digitized, but ultimately the transmission of SCV is still analogue.

Originally posted by ckiang

Btw, you are saying in your review the Digital TV card does not work with the SCV cable point? (not to receive SCV programs but regular ones like CNA?)

Regards
CK

Digital broadcasting is just limited to a few channels currently: ChannelNews Asia, Mediacorp Channel 5, Mediacorp Channel 8, and TV Mobile.

*edit*
oops..misread ur post.

well wasn't on transmission but rather the content... hence the LP vs CD thingy... ;p

cos we aren't sure if the cameras were digital or otherwise for the programs... just whether any were digitised along the way...

well wasn't on transmission but rather the content... hence the LP vs CD thingy... ;p

The analogue vs digital debate is only valid if you are comparing full analogue sources. Many LPs are currently mastered from 24bit digital masters, so the debate might be moot.

Any difference between such LPs and CDs would be due to colourations and certainly not the differences between adequate sampling rates or digitization errors.

Digital formats A/V are still far from being consistent in their output, due to the fact that audio and video signals require realtime conversion. This introduces the additional element of timing errors(jitter) in addition to quantization, sampling errors which are inherent in the process.

Thus though digital for archival purposes may be somewhat ideal, the playback end is far from being as impervious or perfect as it seems. Differing components inserted between an entire digital chain will still affect the audio/video output quality, hence it isn't as perfect as what many may believe.

Originally posted by Zerstorer

Digital broadcasting is just limited to a few channels currently: ChannelNews Asia, Mediacorp Channel 5, Mediacorp Channel 8, and TV Mobile.

yes...but last time i tried tune to TV mobile but failed

anyway, that was Feb this year...TV mobile started not long ago actually...may be TV mobile did not cover my house last time...

it ONLY works with SCV cable point and i can see ChannelNews Asia, Channel 5, Channel 8....

i tried using those external antenna (like those pple use for TV3) but cannot receive anything...cos those antenna cannot recieve digital signal

I never understood the argument for vinyl. I think it's just nostalgia or fanatics. I mean u just need to spline the DAC output then u'll get the smooth timbre liao, just that splining is expensive for digital equipment.

Don't think its so simple. If you wanted smoothening, using sweet sound tube amplification should do it, but it doesn't. There always remains inherent differences in the sonic signature of LPs and CDs and the underlying reasons are more complex than this.

One thing is that LPs often sound subjectively more dynamic and tuneful than CDs although it runs contrary to theoretical specs comparing SNR and dynamic range of LPs vs 16bit Digital.

It's probably a mixture of different inherent distortion signatures, freq response deviations(midrange boost giving seemingly greater dynamics?) and other colourations. This refers to both digital and analogue.

heh like gunjack I dun think GNR or metallica on LP will sound any different...

let' try a different example about sampling... how many think the local TV system is still in analogue?

Erm... Sorry, I didn't say that! Hehe, I think u misinterpreted what I was trying to say. GNR, Metallica, Pantera and especially more so Prodigy should sound better in transister amps than valve amps. But I still got a feeling they would still sound better in LP than CD. Do go to the Adelphi and drop by some of the better hifi stores(not the 2nd hand store there) when they happen to play LPs and have a listen.

The "Money for Nothing" ckiang was toking abt, I think is by Deep Purple...

lol see? my hearing not that good! hmm my eyesight also a bit slack... haha
"money for nothing" dire straights... I think it's the MTV using 3D

Oh Yeah! Dire Straits! Sheesh, I slipped... I remembered its some rock band during that Era, hahha! :embrass:

You just said it yourself, you used a Hauppauge WinTV Digital TV card. :)

Your regular TV cannot receive digital TV without a settop box, or buying a digital TV set. :)

Regards
CK

I think Mediaworks is using digital system already.

As in:

Filming/Processing (Digital) --- DAC ---> Broadcast/Cable ---> Home ---> TV

Newer TVs, etc these with line doubling, 100hz etc.
Analogue -> Digital, process signal -- DAC --> send to CRT.

Older ones just condition the signal and send liao lor. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.