Annoying self-claim photographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i suddenly felt that...

TS certainly has the passion for...

complaining and whining about other people lacking passion.

Recently, there has been a high rate of teens buying dslr cameras. Do you think they are really into photography? moreover, those cameras were paid by their pitiful parents.
These bunch of teens would look at a website with pretty pictures and feel like they are in love with photography too. I really want to know what everybody think about this issue. It is driving me nuts. These people with no passion, insulting our passion.

use DSLR or pin hole camera have nth to do with your passion. you passion is yours alone. cut them some slack.. i dun need a dslr to "feel" i love photography.

Last edited:
tumblrsucks said:
Recently, there has been a high rate of teens buying dslr cameras. Do you think they are really into photography? moreover, those cameras were paid by their pitiful parents.
These bunch of teens would look at a website with pretty pictures and feel like they are in love with photography too. I really want to know what everybody think about this issue. It is driving me nuts. These people with no passion, insulting our passion.

I sit around sipping coffee n surf clubsnap all day, get paid good $ to buy a dslr that i let my 4 year old play while i use a holga. Now which one of us is insulting your passion? Who is the pitiful one?

TS . . . Chill.

DSLRs 10 years ago:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/kyocera-announce-the-launch-of-contax-n-digital-slr-626

This newly developed digital camera is based on the CONTAX N1 introduced last fall and is also equipped with such functions as Dual Focus mechanism, world's first 5-point Wide Array Diagonal Auto Focus System, Fine Focus ABC. This camera, combining dual focus mechanism and sophisticated digital SLR image technology, offers a high resolution and gradation equivalent to film based photography as well as instant digital capability. We believe this new system will fully meet a photographer's imagination and desire for creativity.

Main Specifications of CONTAX N DIGITAL
1. 6 Mega Pixels 35mm Format Full Size (36mm x 24mm)CCD
Being the most important part of a digital camera, a 35mm format 6.29M pixels CCD has been employed. A CCD for the full 35mm film format is a world's first. It enables highly advanced digital image recording to meet the renown of the name Contax as well as the Carl Zeiss T* lenses. As the angular field of the lenses is exactly equal to that of a 35mm camera, a photographer can shoot in exactly the same way he is used to from traditional film based photography. This model realises the Contax philosophy in the digital field and provides an excellent tool for photography.

2. Thin lowpass filter developed by Kyocera crystal technology
An optical lowpass filter is a non-colored crystallized filter which eliminates the specific space frequency in order to reduce false color which affects picture quality. Due to Kyocera's technology, this lowpass filter is only 1/6th as thick as traditional ones.

3. Various image recording modes
There are 5 image modes: the most popular JPEG (can select compression ratio in 3 ways), a non-compression mode, RGB-TIFF, and RAW mode, which makes image processing possible on a computer. Especially the RAW mode is important in the field of commercial photography. Connected to a laptop, it offers high speed shooting even outdoors.

4. Various white balance modes
In addition to 'Auto' adjustment by a built-in color detecting sensor, there are 'One Push Preset', which presets the white balance on a specific area of the subject and 'Custom', where one can choose a favorite color temperature manually. A photographer can choose any one of these white balance modes to meet a specific situation.

5.Recording media CF type I/II & Micro Drive
As an interchangeable recording medium Compact Flash has been employed, which is very popular and offers large capacities. The N digital can also be used with Micro Drive TYPE II by IBM to meet higher capacity demands.

6. High Speed DSP and IEEE1394(Firewire)
N DIGITAL is using high speed image processing. This makes real time processing and 3 frames per second possible. For interfacing with a computer, the reliable high speed IEEE1394 has been employed, which can transfer RAW data of 6.29M pixel to a computer in one second and cope with high speeds and large capacity of data processing.

7. LCD monitor for playback
The camera back is equipped with a 2.0' low temperature poly-silicon TFT color LCD combined with a Graphic User Interface (GUI), giving a very clear picture. This is very effective for checking exposure, focusing and file information.

8. Shooting assist function
The LCD displays Shooting Assist Function visually in a histogram. It simultaneously displays exposure information stored on image file and other file information.

9. All basic function of CONTAX N1
N DIGITAL has all the basic functions of the CONTAX N1 launched last fall. A photographer can therefore concentrate on shooting, because the N DIGITAL can be handled in the same ways as the N1. The main functions of CONTAX N DIGITAL as well as N1 are as follows;
1) Dual Focus Function
2) 5 points Wide Array Diagonal Auto Focusing
3) Focus A.B.C.
4) High Speed Shutter with a maximum speed of 1/8,000 sec. and a flash sync time of 1/200 sec.
5) TTL evaluative metering, center-weighted average metering, spot metering.
6) Auto flash function
7) Mount Adapter NAM-1 as an optional accessory for CONTAX 645 mount lenses
8) Custom Functions
9) Optional N1 & NX accessories

All the interchangeable lenses and accessories for the CONTAX N1 system can be used on the CONTAX N DIGITAL. In addition, CONTAX 645 lenses and accessories are available for use with the CONTAX N DIGITAL.

Pricing and availability
The planned UK launch for the N Digital is at FOCUS in the NEC 24th-27th Febuary, and we've been told the price is expected to be around 5999.

Contax N Digital Specifications
Type
35mm focal plane shutter AF/AE SLR digital camera
CCD Size 36 x 24mm
Imager Device 35mm format full-frame square pixel RGB primary color CCD
Effective Pixels 6.29 megapixels (3072 x 2048 pixels)
Recording Pixels 6.13 megapixels (3040 x 2016 pixels)
Recording format JPEG (compression ratio 1/4, 1/8, 1/16), RGB-TIFF, RAW12bit)(RAW data should be developed through image data processing with the dedicated software)
Recording Media CompactFlash card (type I, II), Microdrive (510MB, 1GB)
Provided File Size JPEG1 (1/4 compression) approx. 3MB
JPEG2 (1/8 compression) approx. 1.5MB
JPEG3 (1/16 compression) approx. 0.8MB
RGB-TIFF approx. 18MB
RAW approx. 9MB
White Balance Auto, fluorescent light, flash, one-push preset setting, color temperature setting (pre-defined value), Auto White Balance Measuring with internal sensor
Image regulation Tone curve, edge emphasis
LCD monitor 2.0 inches low temperature poly-silicon TFT color LCD, approx. 200k pixels
Playback Display Single image, 9 image index, playback zoom function, histogram view, bright view
Lens Mount Contax N Mount
Shutter Vertical-travel focal plane shutter
Shutter Speed Av, P : 32 sec. to 1/8000 sec
Tv, M : shutter dial setting 4 sec. to 1/8000 sec
Command dial setting 32 sec. to 1/8000 sec
B : Bulb, X : 1/125
Sync Settings TLA-X setting (1/250 sec. or slower), direct X setting sync-terminal
Self-timer Electronic type with 2 & 10 sec. delays
Shutter Release Electronic release with dedicated cable switch socket
Exposure Control Modes (1) Aperture priority auto (2) Shutter priority auto (3) Program auto (4) Manual exposure (5) TTL auto flash
Metering System Evaluative TTL, center-weighted average, spot (selectable)
Metering Range EV 0 to 21 (evaluative/ center-weighted metering)(ISO100, F1.4) EV 3 to 21 (spot metering ; based on 3mm diameter area in center of viewfinder)
ISO Range ISO 50 to 1600 equiv. (1/3 step) AE Lock EV at image plane stored in memory
Exposure Compensation +2 EV to -2 EV, in 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV steps (selectable)
Exposure A.B.C. System Compensation : 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV or 1 EV steps
Dedicated Flash System TLA/TTL direct flash control
Flash Coupling Automatic shutter speed adjustment when Contax TLA flash unit is fully charged
Flash Auto-set Available for Contax TLA flash units with auto-set function
Second-curtain Sync. Available for Contax TLA flash units with second-curtain sync.
Focusing System TTL phase-difference detection (5-point)
Focus Modes Single AF, continuous AF (predictive) , manual. Fine Focus A.B.C. Automatic Focusing System (three steps)
Viewfinder Fixed eye-level pentaprism (long eye-point) 95% field-of-view, 0.73x magnification (with 50mm standard lens at infinity -1 D diopter), fitted with eyepiece shutter
Diopter adjustment Internal mechanism, adjustable from -3D to +1D; FM type eye piece lenses (2 types) additionally available
Focusing Screen Fitted with full matte FX-2; interchangeable with two other FX-type screens
Drive Modes Single exposure, continuous exposure, selftimer (2 or 10 sec.)
Continuous shooting Speed Max. 3 frames per second in continuous (C) mode [with fresh battery at room temperature]
Max. Burst Shooting JPEG1 (1/4 compression) approx. 5 shots
JPEG2 (1/8 compression) approx. 8 shots
JPEG3 (1/16 compression) approx. 13 shots
RGB-TIFF approx. 3 shots
RAW approx. 3 shots
(Shooting speed should decrease after 3rd shots, complying the recording mode)
Accessory Shoe Direct X contact and dedicated TLA contacts
I/O Interface IEEE1394/Firewire
Power Source AA-type Ni-MH rechargeable battery x 4, AA-type alkaline primary battery x 4, AC power adapter
Battery Check Automatic, status indicated on display panel
Number of shots Approx. 500 shots or more (room temperature, JPEG 3)
Other Features Exposure check button, Depth-of-field preview button, AF auxiliary light, Camera customized functions, Digital function customized setting, Vertical shutter release button (with lock function), Focus target selector
Dimensions (W x H x D) 6 x 5-7/16 x 3-1/8 in. (152.0 x 138.0 x 79.5mm)
Mass (990g) w/o battery
Standard Accessory AA-type Ni-MH rechargeable battery x 4/Quick battery charger, AC power adapter, Strap, CCD parameter CDR

I remember first going into photography at age 15, with, a compact film camera. Just shooting random events in my life (I had got it just because of an overseas mountain climbing expedition). I shot very selectively, sometimes taking 6 months to finish a roll of 36 exposures. The most basic camera, no settings whatsoever, only the shutter button and auto flash, fixed focal length. Then the cost of film developing became too much, I got my first digital camera, a superslim Konica Minolta Dimage Xg. Then my ideas were different. I never thought I would go into photography seriously. I just needed a small tool to record events.

Then, I begun to see things differently, and upgraded to prosumer (Olympus SP500UZ) as I wanted manual control. From there, it was anything goes. I was full of energy, fun spirit. I shot all kinds of random stuff. I set myself a target, each few months I would experiment on a genre or technique til I got it right. I shot almost everything. I felt a sense of release, satisfaction and spiritual fulfillment. I used that camera from end of 2005 to middle of 2008, it was only then which I got my first DSLR, Nikon D40 an entry level one.

Working with very basic and limiting hardware specs had taught me how to treat it as a challenge rather than a handicap, to produce good photos with limited specs.

Now almost everyone has a dslr, whether they shoot nicely or not. It's a social status. Equipment freaks are either collectors or using equipment as sort of an ego-inflating tool. One does not need a fantastic camera to get good photos. Well, yes a super slim won't be able to take as nice macros as a dslr with macro lens, or do long exposures (at that time). That would be the challenge, of using its technical limitations to produce great works of art. Without much technical control, one relies on their eyes to make art, rather than the camera itself. How to, using only the most basic functions produce something good.

Actually, the pioneer of street photography, Henri Cartier-Bresson had rich parents. And he's really good.. :)

i suddenly felt that...

TS certainly has the passion for...

complaining and whining about other people lacking passion.

A passionate photographer with passion should be less passionate about complaining passionately other less passionate photographers being less passionate about having passion.

Sion said:
A passionate photographer with passion should be less passionate about complaining passionately other less passionate photographers being less passionate about having passion.

A passionate response.... I like! :)

Sorry for insulting your passion......i took up photography so that i can hang my camera to walk around the street.

I do that because i can afford it.

Have a nice day.

You're a real show-off carrying a wooden tripods around.

wood-camera-tripod.jpg

All your passion are belong to us.

Question to TS. How old were you when you got your first DSLR? How long ago was that? How 'professional' are you now? Post some of your taken pictures and let us have a look at what it means by being passionate? I for one didn't pay for my DSLR myself. And so what does it proves? That I have no passion or that I am pathetic?

Why are you unhappy with the fact that youngsters get their DSLR without having to pay for it? You shoot your stuff, they shoot theirs. You said that you are a teenager yourself. It seems like you're pretty unhappy with how your life is till now. Guess what? That's life. They paid and got their camera one way or another. They can use it the way they want, auto or M. Why be bothered with how they got it, what they do with it or how short-lived their passions are.

this thread like got steroids ..... 8 pages in 24hrs ......

i guess the overall message from everyone to TS is "why rag on other people who are richer but less passionate than yourself?"

just do your own thing , man .......

One does not need a fantastic camera to get good photos. Well, yes a super slim won't be able to take as nice macros as a dslr with macro lens, or do long exposures (at that time). That would be the challenge, of using its technical limitations to produce great works of art. Without much technical control, one relies on their eyes to make art, rather than the camera itself. How to, using only the most basic functions produce something good.

Well said :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have to add on though, one might be full of passion but still cant take great pictures but doesnt mean their passion is low or whatever

Passionate photographer and True photographer, same or not har?

*** sorry, couldn't help myself ***

Passionate photographer and True photographer, same or not har?

*** sorry, couldn't help myself ***

Tangerine,

You never see here 8 pages already but yet i never say a word...

This thread in the beginning already started on the wrong note so let's not tarnish the meaning of 'True Photographer' here.

One more time, i hear people mention 'True Photographer' here in this thread.

I will Orh Pi SAI into your lens !!

Status
Not open for further replies.