Amos Yee vs Steven Lim

That's why we are what we are today. Designed by smart ppl, meant only for smart ppl. Not for creative ppl.

This is THE problem

You call one of the highest standard of living in the world enjoying by Singaporeans "The Problem"?

I live in Afghanistan and please exchange your Singapore citizenship with me. :bsmilie:

You call one of the highest standard of living in the world enjoying by Singaporeans "The Problem"?

I live in Afghanistan and please exchange your Singapore citizenship with me. :bsmilie:

Highest standard of living for the smart people, not for the creative ones.

U see the problem?

You sure we don't have degrees such as fine arts, art history, classical music etc in Singapore Unis? :)

Yeah. How many students sign up for them?_

BTW, I'm not only referring to arts area. I'm also talking abt startups, entrepreneur, conducive environment for failures, society acceptance of failures, mindset of academic grades

Last edited:
Intolerance of bad behavior = lack of creativity/entrepreneurship?

Really?!

if our young friend had channeled his creative energy into something useful and innovative, instead of slagging off dead statesmen, he might be the next mark zuckerberg or bill gates.

Last edited:

Really?!

if our young friend had channeled his creative energy into something useful and innovative, instead of slagging off dead statesmen, he might be the next mark zuckerberg or bill gates.

He's got the guts (and also the brains) . I have faith in this little guy who is now going through his adolescent phase. Once he gets past it, there is nothing to stop him achieving what he sets out to do ...even if it is over someone's dead body..... :)

Last edited:
He speaks better than average without putting a single thing on the table and some of u guys hailing him as the next great Hope ?

Even snake oil sellers have something to sell

Pick who you sleep with carefully....

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikonzen
He speaks better than average without putting a single thing on the table and some of u guys hailing him as the next great Hope ?

Even snake oil sellers have something to sell

Pick who you sleep with carefully....

Hear hear... :thumbsup:

Woz didn't create the computer (they fired 'em both I believe BTW)...but I bet he stores his notes on a thumb drive...just wait and see about Singapore I say... :)

Woz was not fired. He left way before the fiasco of Steve being fired. Damn pardner... you should be up to sped on your US general knowledge heheheheh... Also YEs he did built the first Apple NOT so much Steve Job. SJ is more a marketing guru shall we say.

And wait and see? Singapore? Been there done that...a long debated storied for many decades now. My first hero that showed us how true that is.. Sim Wong Ho of world fame SoundBlaster Card. If you are a gamer you would have heard of it. He got "buckus" support from our govt and rather trsut the MNC coming here to set up shop then to offer him any backing 'back in the days'...He left for USA and made his fame and fortune in Silicon Valley.... then our govt start to court him and ask if they could help him. The best analogy I can give you is that he gave them the BIRD.

But he did come back to try to see if he could help the people and there was where he too was talking about creativity. And about how restrictive and narrow our interest are and the over concern with monetary success and the lack of passion. That's the short history. And we have not many of such stories of success.. and why? Well now you see what Woz was saying.

BTW the long and short of Woz history with Apple: Technically Steve Wozniak is still an Apple employee, shareholder and receives a small salary from them. In 1981 he crashed a plane he was piloting. This put him in hospital and caused memory loss. He decided to take a break from Apple and return to university to finish his degree, having dropped out to start Apple. He returned to Apple in 1983 but he decided to leave Apple in 1987 to pursue numerous other projects and philanthropic works.

Last edited:

Really?!

That is a strawman arguement. And have to be fair to not just use Amos Yee as your shining example to stand your point. He is but one example. Possible an extreme end of an example but the fact of the matter is when you take this into more tamer examples and the same exactly pressure and pressure is still given to anyone to expand their crative in other ways in all direction to experiment BEYOND just doing it the Roy way or Amos Yee or whatever worst case scenarios... you still don't know to what degree of creativity has been crush or extinguish even before it start. You want to say Bill Gate or Mark. Do you know how they PUSH their limits? What makes you think those limits did not meet with resistant of thinking or being told by nay sayers in their life "you will fail...as that is a bad idea.

Do something more tangible and proven". Also did you know how psychopathic and driven to success that Bill was willing to be as cut throat with his competitors that he gets bad reputation or brought up to court for unfair business practices? So is that good or bad? But did society stop him? Just examples.... but good thing he and Mark and the many other creativity people who found something unique to offer or sell to the world was doing in USA. Because if they were to have try to do this here in Singapore? I have my doubts they will amounted to anything.

Just saying.. You all want to only see this Amos Yee and hang it up there as your shining example.. but you don't want to see behind and beyond his type. He is a diamond in the rough. Maybe. But how many other Amos Yee that are better then him or have better dream or ideas but not as loud in the corner. But before their time to shine, they light is extinguished. It is not just about rules that restrict don;t get me wrong It is also about support, encouragement and the being more understanding about failing as something to be seen not as wrong or weak or useless but a chance to learn to try again. The attitude I see here most of the time is, you go first and if succeed then I come help and invest. You want to take risk on a dream or idea that has no peer you are more likely to be left in the cold to sink or swim.

Take the time to study the subject or smart and creative more and you find... creativity is the key to the future. It is easy to be smart or even hard working but those has expiry dates without creativity. If anyone don;t get what I mean. You already lost it and stuck. heh.

Last edited:
...creativity is the key to the future. It is easy to be smart or even hard working but those has expiry dates without creativity. If anyone don;t get what I mean. You already lost it and stuck. heh.

The shinning success of Singapore elitism has proved you time and again wrong. :bsmilie:

Kind of weird to compare steve jobs and bill gates to amos yee. I think amos yee is a sociopath and he just recycled his "research" from roy. And worst, saying the person who bailed him is a molester, and then apologize by saying his definition of "molest" is different from what society understood... thats a typical excuse sociopaths use. If the level of comparison is based on intelligence or IQ, it would be more appropriate to compare with serial killers who have high IQ like Jeffrey Dahmer or Ted Kaczynski (unabomber). This has nothing to do with creativity.

That is a strawman arguement. And have to be fair to not just use Amos Yee as your shining example to stand your point. He is but one example. Possible an extreme end of an example but the fact of the matter is when you take this into more tamer examples and the same exactly pressure and pressure is still given to anyone to expand their crative in other ways in all direction to experiment BEYOND just doing it the Roy way or Amos Yee or whatever worst case scenarios... you still don't know to what degree of creativity has been crush or extinguish even before it start. You want to say Bill Gate or Mark. Do you know how they PUSH their limits? What makes you think those limits did not meet with resistant of thinking or being told by nay sayers in their life "you will fail...as that is a bad idea. Do something more tangible and proven". Also did you know how psychopathic and driven to success that Bill was willing to be as cut throat with his competitors that he gets bad reputation or brought up to court for unfair business practices? So is that good or bad? But did society stop him? Just examples.... but good thing he and Mark and the many other creativity people who found something unique to offer or sell to the world was doing in USA. Because if they were to have try to do this here in Singapore? I have my doubts they will amounted to anything. Just saying.. You all want to only see this Amos Yee and hang it up there as your shining example.. but you don't want to see behind and beyond his type. He is a diamond in the rough. Maybe. But how many other Amos Yee that are better then him or have better dream or ideas but not as loud in the corner. But before their time to shine, they light is extinguished. It is not just about rules that restrict don;t get me wrong It is also about support, encouragement and the being more understanding about failing as something to be seen not as wrong or weak or useless but a chance to learn to try again. The attitude I see here most of the time is, you go first and if succeed then I come help and invest. You want to take risk on a dream or idea that has no peer you are more likely to be left in the cold to sink or swim. Take the time to study the subject or smart and creative more and you find... creativity is the key to the future. It is easy to be smart or even hard working but those has expiry dates without creativity. If anyone don;t get what I mean. You already lost it and stuck. heh.

It's very amusing to me when people seems to pin their last dying hope on an outspoken, perhaps brash, 16 year old calling him a future PM. I'm not sure if you are a talent spotter? You know, the kind who are able to see the hidden, even if very hidden, potential of people? But it's okay, i mean, i've seen more amusing, which was when people started using the term "precocious". Suddenly, we have so many talent spotters online, i see the potential in these people! :)

What if i tell you he took his perspectives from the dissident voices in SG? What if i tell you his views about his school and education isn't uncommon but only that he has the guts to voice it out? And does that kind of outspoken trait necessarily translate to a huge talent? I think people need to calm themselves. In a society where being outspoken isn't generally a very welcomed trait, he seems to be extraordinary. I can tell you for sure, he isn't the only one who has the view that he has. Just that some people may not want to say it.

Last edited:
....In a society where being outspoken isn't generally a very welcomed trait, he seems to be extraordinary. I can tell you for sure, he isn't the only one who has the view that he has. Just that some people may not want to say it.

So 阿魔 can just be dismissed with two words: Big Mouth? :bsmilie:

amos-yee.jpg

Last edited: