AF-S NIKKOR 58MM F/1.4G LENS - OFFICIAL THREAD

I was really excited on announcement... but really its not THAT impressive. IMO

My hunt continues for the perfect 50-60mm prime..... yeah I may well go the OMFG Zeiss OTUS Late in 2014. ;)

Really surprised that the build quality is kinda, er.......plasticky.

Oh... You mean its not good enough?
Read from a few reviews all complimenting its bokeh.

Was contemplating between this or 50mm 1.2 for my Nikon Df :)

I was really excited on announcement... but really its not THAT impressive. IMO

My hunt continues for the perfect 50-60mm prime..... yeah I may well go the OMFG Zeiss OTUS Late in 2014. ;)

Oh... You mean its not good enough? Read from a few reviews all complimenting its bokeh. Was contemplating between this or 50mm 1.2 for my Nikon Df :)
Compared the 58mm with the 50mm f/1.2; the build quality of the f/1.2 is vastly more robust. Will be taking out the 58mm for a spin soon.

Last edited:
Other than reading review, anybody has purchased this lens ?
Please post real world images taken ! :)

I am poised with this lens, due to the unique bokeh produce. I feel 3D bokeh on it !

I have tried it briefly at NSC mounted on a silver Df a while back. Its surprisingly lightweight at only 300g or so.
I have been comptemplating between this and the 50/1.2 previously but decided to get the latter because it matches the Df body better, built better and priced better. Haha.

However, am still thinking about it at the back of my mind. Hmm, maybe someday...

Looking at the review makes me wanna get one. Haha.

Selling point of this lens I feel is light weight, sharpness starts at 1.4, excellent bokeh and has Nano coating to reduce flare.

Should I?? :think:

http://photographylife.com/nikon-58mm-f1-4g-high-resolution-image-samples
This one?

Look at those images! The bokeh is so glowy and smooth! This lens understand what portrait lens should be !
I never seen this kind of beautiful quality from the other 50 to 60mm range Nikon lens!

No wor... above link is nikon own samples...

Heres the correct link... beware its buy buy buy virus at its max...

http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-58mm-f1-4g#more-66115

Wouldn't this lens look terribly disproportional on the Df?
IMG_0023-on-nikon-df.jpg

Considering that it is only a f/1.4 lens, it does not really have so much glass to justify such a big barrel. Seeing how deep inside the barrel the front lens element is, it probably does not even need the Nano coating to minimise flare at all.

Last edited:
IMG_0023-on-nikon-df.jpg

Considering that it is only a f/1.4 lens, it does not really have so much glass to justify such a big barrel. Seeing how deep inside the barrel the front lens element is, it probably does not even need the Nano coating to minimise flare at all.
Flare can also come from the internal elements which will reduce contrast.

IMG_0023-on-nikon-df.jpg

Actually mounted on the Df still look ok because the depth at the mount point is still quite shallow unlike the 85 1.4G.
If it comes out with a limited edition will be even better.