AF-S NIKKOR 58MM F/1.4G LENS - OFFICIAL THREAD

I do have 4 kids :).

Then you must be more successful than me, although I do have 4 kids also. But cannot buy these kind of toys leh (esp Zeiss 55mm f/1.4, 2k for 58mm f/1.4 also cannot get minister's approval!).

Having seen all the sample pictures and at full 36 mp, it seems like they purposely tweak this lens to have very smooth the out of focus area and has a certain 'look'
However, I would be more tempted by Otus 55 1.4 offering , the resolution and pop is crazy wide open.
Definitely a bargain for SLR 35mm shooter considering the best 50mm thus far (resolution wise) is currently held by the Apo Summicron 50/2 Leica (which is way more ex than the Otus and is only f2)

Then you must be more successful than me, although I do have 4 kids also. But cannot buy these kind of toys leh (esp Zeiss 55mm f/1.4, 2k for 58mm f/1.4 also cannot get minister's approval!).
Then you don't belong to Singapore. ;)

The pricing of this lens makes the 50mm F1.4 looks super cheap!

Wonder how this will help to optimise the sensor of a D800E?

Just in case you haven't seen this video yet...

[video=youtube;iYcZf3Fqm5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYcZf3Fqm5M[/video]

so does it has a metal body, or high quality plastic?

All current lenses are plastic..... shame.... I miss the build of the old AF-D lenses. ( like my 135 f2 ! )

Exceptions only are 70-200 f2.8, and all super tele's etc.....

Last edited:
All current lenses are plastic..... shame.... I miss the build of the old AF-D lenses. ( like my 135 f2 ! )

Exceptions only are 70-200 f2.8, and all super tele's etc.....

Actually AF-D lenses built is also not the best... remember the AF/MF ring cracking?

Ai-Ai-S lenses... now that is good build.

time to go hunt for the Noct-NIKKOR AI or AIS :p

D3S_6708-600.jpg

I think the most obvious rival will be with the Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, which cost more than TWICE the Nikkor 58/1.4 price.

Anyone did a comparo-review yet of these lenses?

Dfive said:
All current lenses are plastic..... shame.... I miss the build of the old AF-D lenses. ( like my 135 f2 ! ) Exceptions only are 70-200 f2.8, and all super tele's etc.....

Yes, I agree with you. I tend to shop at secondhand camera shops cos they still retail f mount Nikon lens. Just today, at Adelphi, I saw a Nikon 600mm f5.6 ed lens . Btw, does anyone knows whether It is compatible with the newer D 600? I got feedback that the d3200 does not accept af-d lens, which I mean it can' t even be mounted!

Yes, I agree with you. I tend to shop at secondhand camera shops cos they still retail f mount Nikon lens. Just today, at Adelphi, I saw a Nikon 600mm f5.6 ed lens . Btw, does anyone knows whether It is compatible with the newer D 600? I got feedback that the d3200 does not accept af-d lens, which I mean it can' t even be mounted!

It can be mounted but you have to manual focus.
Why do you ask that here?

Last edited: