AF-S NIKKOR 58MM F/1.4G LENS - OFFICIAL THREAD

Dfive

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore lah....
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/1...ource=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_5

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/1...related-news&utm_medium=text&ref=related-news

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/17/nikon-af-s-nikkor-58mm-f1-4g-lens-announcement.aspx/

" Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G, a professional grade prime lens offering a versatile 58mm perspective and excellent low-light shooting capabilities for FX and DX-format shooters.

Designed to excel at night and in extreme low-light situations, this new NIKKOR lens sports a diverse feature set and optical design that make it a dependable and versatile option for daytime portraits, nighttime cityscapes or sharp HD video with a dramatic depth of field.

Paying homage to the acclaimed original Noct NIKKOR 58mm f/1.2 lens, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens is capable of capturing stunning photos and videos while achieving beautiful bokeh effects. "

USD $ 1699.95 list !!

What you think ???

Last edited:

Blur Shadow

Sep 17, 2005
Professional grade lens leh! Have to be up there with the other AF-S f/1.4 prime lenses.

Dfive

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore lah....
I knew of this lens 2-4 months ago.... sold my mint 50 1.4 AF-S in advance.

That said Im waiting for the SIGMA 50mm 1.4 ART Lens Till I decide...... :thumbsup: ;) ;)

Dfive

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore lah....
50mm 1.4G vs 58mm 1.4G N...... INFO BASED ON MTF Charts comparison :

" The Nikon 58mm f/1.4G definitely has more contrast and resolution wide open, but not by a huge margin. The Nikon 50mm f/1.4G’s performance falls off from the center pretty quickly, while the 58mm f/1.4G seems to be more balanced. However, note how the dotted lines on the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G separate from the straight lines – that’s an indication of average to poor bokeh performance. And now take a look at the 58mm, which has both lines staying very close to each other.

Hence, while we might only see a marginal improvement in sharpness at f/1.4, the bokeh of the 58mm f/1.4G should be the highlight of the lens. Expect to see more “3D-like” images produced by the 58mm! "

Dfive

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore lah....
Updated their stories section real quick
But then again I like to read stories :)

Behind the scenes for the AF-S 58mm f/1.4
http://imaging.nikon.com/history/scenes/33/index.htm
Cool thanks for sharing !! Lens looks more appealing now. Price still high.... but it's on my shortlist for XMAS present to myself... lol

dniwkh

Mar 19, 2012
I guess it really helps Sigma gain more market share.

All sigma have to do is to design a new 58mm f1.4 lens that totally trashes the nikon and sell it at half the price...

I think nikon are really out of touch. Previously, they have a case of charging high prices when their lens are BETTER than sigma but now....

K S Kong

Dec 11, 2007
www.flickr.com

All sigma have to do is to design a new 58mm f1.4 lens that totally trashes the nikon and sell it at half the price...

I think nikon are really out of touch. Previously, they have a case of charging high prices when their lens are BETTER than sigma but now....
In fact, every brand has a different lines of products for different positioning. if you just used the entry-level product and assume that the full range of products are just at this level that is too arbitrary.

Development and design a new products the cost is not low, especially high-end products, such as the Sigma 200-500mm f2.8 APO EX DG, the price definitely not what you can Imagine.

Apr 2, 2006
CCK

Why stop at Sigma lens? Get a Sigma DSLR body as well! Then you can really teach Nikon a lesson. O wait, Sigma camera(s) aren't cheaper...

Hacker

Dec 6, 2005
Cyberspace
Wonder how it will compare against the Canon 50mm f/1.2 lens or the Zeiss 55mm f/1.4. More lenses to look forward to at the end of the year, :)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2006
CCK

Wonder how it will compare against the Canon 50mm f/1.2 lens or the Zeiss 55mm f/1.4. More lenses to look forward to at the end of the year, :)
LOL... different standard I suppose... someone wants Sigma to trash Nikon while others wonder if this new beast is comparable to Canon 50mm f/1.2 or Zeiss 55mm f/1.4!

Personally I am not rich enough (have U kids to feed) to consider a 50mm in the $2k range... but at this moment find it hard to trust in Sigma... given the history... maybe another 5-10 years then I will see if Sigma can be revisited.

Dfive

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore lah....
LOL... different standard I suppose... someone wants Sigma to trash Nikon while others wonder if this new beast is comparable to Canon 50mm f/1.2 or Zeiss 55mm f/1.4!

Personally I am not rich enough (have U kids to feed) to consider a 50mm in the $2k range... but at this moment find it hard to trust in Sigma... given the history... maybe another 5-10 years then I will see if Sigma can be revisited.
Agree also.... those complaining will never of bought it anyways...... I complain of a Porsche cost - but I'll never get one ! :)

But lets be honest everyone..... how will this lens compare to the LENS BABY !!! :p ;) :bsmilie:

Top Bottom