[advise] wedding photo shoot

with your setup: P-mode and use pop-up flash when indoors. ISO 800

at least the P-mode will limit the shutter speed to 1/60 with flash.

Alright thanks ppl, got all your comments noted.

And yes, is just a casual shooting for me for this wedding, so please dun "air-combo" me here. I understand the lighting is gonna be poor for shooting, thus am asking for ppl with experience on shooting with low light and no flash. Simple as that.

What's the point of repeating "no flash you're gonna die"? same posts written by different CSians >.<

yup yup, will see what will my result will be, and hopefully try to get a few nice shots to show you guys (if only I managed good shots). At the mean time, will also look around for ex-flash.

Thanks peeps :D

Well, perhaps because we've tried it and found that it wasn't ideal. Sure, you can fall back to your pop-up flash but the effect won't be flattering and it might look too harsh. But without it, everything might be dark. Even if shooting RAW and bumping up exposure through PP, it'll be hard to get it to look natural or less grainy as compared to a bounced or diffused flash.

Have fun, looking forward to how your pics turn out :)

What's the point of repeating "no flash you're gonna die"? same posts written by different CSians >.<
You get statistical evidence that your intended setup is not ideal. That's what.

for a newbie, actually i will advise the TS not to use any flash if he is not familiar with it.

since it is just shooting for fun/learning, shooting with ambient light alone will make it easier to control and help the TS to understand the metering system better. Also, TS will be able to focus on capturing the "moment" rather than spend time playing with the settings.

I do agree that for experienced photographers, an external flash will give the best result. but I also feel that for an inexperienced photographer who has never tried taking photos with flash, the result can be quite dissapointing as compared to just bumping up the iso and pairing with a fast lens and then pp noise later.

Flash photography needs a lot of practice and understanding of the camera functions to adjust and balance the ambient light against the subject.

just my 2 cts worth. ;p

for a newbie, actually i will advise the TS not to use any flash if he is not familiar with it.

since it is just shooting for fun/learning, shooting with ambient light alone will make it easier to control and help the TS to understand the metering system better. Also, TS will be able to focus on capturing the "moment" rather than spend time playing with the settings.

I agree with wai. Don't use flash now as you may not be familiar with using it.

Since you are not the main shooter. Try this (I had tried this myself although i uses different primes)
1) Use only the 50mm/f1.8
2) Set to the highest iso you can tolerate with regards to noise.
3) Use pop-up flash when necessary.
4) Shoot raw and post-process to black and white.

Most important:-
5) During post-process, ONLY choose the BEST shots (1 in 100?) to print and show?

Enjoy capturing the moments. It's a wedding after all.

if he dont use the flash now, then when can he use it? he has to start somewhere right?

since TS is just joining in the fun, i suppose it will be ok for him to use the flash and treat the wedding like a "lesson".

Yeap. Got it noted. But if I pump up the iso, can pp really remove all the noise? The pp provided on the canon disc I dun really know how to use, still learning :p

Yeap. Got it noted. But if I pump up the iso, can pp really remove all the noise? The pp provided on the canon disc I dun really know how to use, still learning :p

you should experiment and see what kind of effect exposure compensation and noise reduction does.

Whenever you try to correct images that are underexposed, noise will start to appear and is especially obvious in shadow regions.

When you do noise reduction, you image loses detail and they start to look soft depending on the level of noise reduction performed.

Just FYI :)

if he dont use the flash now, then when can he use it? he has to start somewhere right?
Correct. Flashless photography in dark room is just asking for throw-away photos. Doesn't matter if set to ISO 1600 and f/1.8; still ain't gonna be bright enough for an adequate shutter speed.

Most probably you will get noisy and blur photos if you pump up the ISO and the subjects are moving around. To freeze motion, you will need a rather fast shutter speed and it is quite diff to achieve in a dark room without a flash unit.

Granted pp can remove noise, but how much noise can be removed without losing a lot of details? My point is, why not get the shot right the moment you press the shutter button, rather then getting home, spending a considerable amount of time pp-ing the heck out of the noisy photos and yet still unable to achieve a desirable result?

okay chill people, don't prosecute me :D

I'm going there mainly just to help out my gf's family, i ain' the main photographer (key point*)

I ain't bringing flash is cause i do not have 1, and am unable to borrow 1 in such short notice as well. (another key point*)

Am trying to use under expose shots to help me if the need arise, i hate the noise so am thinking of fixing to less than 1600 ISO if possible.

come on people! I don't wanna go about telling people this is avant garde style! lol

keep the camera at home and enjoy the dinner, keeping your girlfriend company is more important than deciding when to come out and block and screw the main photographer's way, Cheers!

Anyway, a bit too late. TS is probably up in M'sia now. Let's wait and see how things go.