[advise] wedding photo shoot

okay chill people, don't prosecute me :D

I'm going there mainly just to help out my gf's family, i ain' the main photographer (key point*)

I ain't bringing flash is cause i do not have 1, and am unable to borrow 1 in such short notice as well. (another key point*)

Am trying to use under expose shots to help me if the need arise, i hate the noise so am thinking of fixing to less than 1600 ISO if possible.

come on people! I don't wanna go about telling people this is avant garde style! lol
FYI, you can rent it, Commercial Services Offered

btw, you are at the worst situation to take up this offer.
hope you make clear enough to the couple and their family no photos guarantee, even tho you are not the main photographer, cause once you bring out a DSLR, you will not have any immunity.

I think u should test out how ur 500D fare on High iso setting b4 u judge if the photo is usable or not. After all even if ur helping, Wudn't be nice if u bring in half hearted effort ba. Just my 2 cents. :cool:

btw, you are at the worst situation to take up this offer.
hope you make clear enough to the couple and their family no photos guarantee, even tho you are not the main photographer, cause once you bring out a DSLR, you will not have any immunity.

Totally agree with what catchlights mentioned. I once did a casual outdoor night shoot for my cousin-in-law and her family for her dad's birthday as a favour. Being my first time doing such shoots, I had to constantly make it clear to her that I cannot guarantee anything even though I wasn't being paid. Thankfully things turned out better than I had expected. :sweat:

Would suggest that you rent a flash for the coming wedding. It'll make your life much easier on that day. ;)

okay chill people, don't prosecute me :D

I'm going there mainly just to help out my gf's family, i ain' the main photographer (key point*)

I ain't bringing flash is cause i do not have 1, and am unable to borrow 1 in such short notice as well. (another key point*)

Am trying to use under expose shots to help me if the need arise, i hate the noise so am thinking of fixing to less than 1600 ISO if possible.

come on people! I don't wanna go about telling people this is avant garde style! lol

hmm.. these leads me a question that might go against what most people are suggesting here.

IF we are not the main photographer, would using a flash hinder the photo taking of the main photographers?

hmm.. these leads me a question that might go against what most people are suggesting here.

IF we are not the main photographer, would using a flash hinder the photo taking of the main photographers?

nah, its ok actually. norm wont use direct flash... ppl norm bounce. so its not that intense n timing also not so perfect to interfere.

i do not mind flashes, i jus mind if they are not the main photographer n they stay in the way, block or call the shots. im fine with ppl taking the same pics but priority is me cos i m paid. i have to answer to the bossman....

i do not mind flashes, i jus mind if they are not the main photographer n they stay in the way, block or call the shots. im fine with ppl taking the same pics but priority is me cos i m paid. i have to answer to the bossman....

agree...if TS is going to shoot for fun, then he should cover something that the main photographer couldn't, rather than fight with him for space or get into his way.

it is also difficult for the subjects to stay eye-contact with the main photographer, if TS is shooting along side with him. You may see people looking at different direction when there are more than 1 cameras around.

TS can do away without external flash, just pump the ISO To max and aperture wide open. Can try some slow sync flash since 500D got build in flash.

A better way would be getting a Flashgun..At least just spend on 430EXII..by doing this u will not regret...:D

Or get the nissin Di622 only around $200. U confirm will not regret :)

I think it's quite funny how the OP said clearly "I won't be bringing my flash along."

Then when people tell him to bring his flash, the story then changes to being "oh, actually I don't have a flash"

Good luck anyway!

If it's just for fun then use it as practice lesson and shoot whatever comes along. Why asking for Mode, settings and stuffs? None of us here can predict the conditions which you already describe as nearly cave-like. None of us will know all the other parameters that influence camera settings. There are no "wedding settings", "children birthday party settings" or "funeral settings". But there is basic understanding of exposure - which you can happily practice there and learn from the results.
You don't need any umbrella for flash, a good diffuser is enough. And it would definitely enable you to shoot at lower ISO than 1600. Even an average gloomy ballroom with flash can be taken at ISO 400 (did it more than once). But then again, you need to understand how Canon ETTL and flash metering works in different modes. Nothing that goes with 2 test shots just before the couple comes along.
Take your 50mm and go for portraits wherever the light is sufficient. Most important: analyze your results later at home.

First-hand experience: the ballroom doesn't sound like its gonna be flooded by stadium lights. NOT gonna happen.

If you don't want disappointing results, do yourself a favour and rent a flash. And also do yourself the favour of capturing pre-environment test pictures to get a look with your own eyes what kind of imagery turns out from your cam with those conditions and settings. You'd then have a better idea (and faster reaction time) what kind of adjustments you need to make on the spot.

Most important: analyze your results later at home.
I'd have to disagree with this suggestion. To make better use of the opportunity, i recommend practising test pictures in conditions similar to the ballroom, before the event itself. He can then arm himself with first-hand knowledge what settings are likely to work better.

Sure his phototaking may not be critical at all, but analysing after the wedding leaves lesser motivation to find a similar environment later to "rectify the mistakes".

If it's just for fun then use it as practice lesson and shoot whatever comes along. Why asking for Mode, settings and stuffs? None of us here can predict the conditions which you already describe as nearly cave-like. None of us will know all the other parameters that influence camera settings. There are no "wedding settings", "children birthday party settings" or "funeral settings". But there is basic understanding of exposure - which you can happily practice there and learn from the results.

very well said Octarine :bsmilie::bsmilie:

TS, bottom line is - go rent yourself a flash. Since you mentioned that you do not own an external flash, I assume you've never used one before. It's not easy to 'master', so go rent it early and give yourself a couple of days to familiarise with its function and all before the wedding day itself.

Hi all,

I'm going for my very first wedding photo shoot this Sunday in msia. All I have is my canon 500D, 18-55mm and a 50mm f/s 1.8.

What settings are the best for wedding dinner held in a hotel/ball room?

Bearing in mind the lightings will be poor, and there will be quite abit of movement.

I won't be bringing my flash along.

So people! Advise!

Mode
aperture
exposure
shutter
white balance

etc etc. ;D

Are your leaving your camera pop-up flash at home?

Well, for the record, I've used the 500D + 18-55IS at my friend's wedding at Shangri-la recently. Not official photog (thank god!). The photos did turn out to be decent in the end. Quite a fair bit of PP required because of under-exposed shots (max was ISO1600). A bit grainy for some but it's a dinner event, so it wasn't too bad. Also shot some for the earlier church segment which was also pretty decent.

But, and biggest BUT, I had a flash unit to help me out. Even then it wasn't easy. Without that, I'd have suffered apoplexy and died. So, to TS, wedding dinner event, no flash... that's a NO NO.

If you're not the main or official photog, just taking as a spectator, sure, try it out. Have some fun. But expect lots and lots of pics to end up on the cutting floor.

Tried wedding with only pop up before. Only keepers were the food shots and shots of people at my table that pop up cld reach. The rest...well...you know what happened. :bsmilie:

enjoy the shooting ...
learn from this..if you are not satisfy with the outcome, u know wht to do later =)
just let the paid photographer done his job 1st ..

I'd have to disagree with this suggestion. To make better use of the opportunity, i recommend practising test pictures in conditions similar to the ballroom, before the event itself. He can then arm himself with first-hand knowledge what settings are likely to work better.
Agree, I missed that point. Testing under defined conditions before the event surely will help to anticipate the actual conditions and possible results at the event. Very helpful to kill any wrong expectations :)

Alright thanks ppl, got all your comments noted.

And yes, is just a casual shooting for me for this wedding, so please dun "air-combo" me here. I understand the lighting is gonna be poor for shooting, thus am asking for ppl with experience on shooting with low light and no flash. Simple as that.

What's the point of repeating "no flash you're gonna die"? same posts written by different CSians >.<

yup yup, will see what will my result will be, and hopefully try to get a few nice shots to show you guys (if only I managed good shots). At the mean time, will also look around for ex-flash.

Thanks peeps :D

Last edited: