[advise] wedding photo shoot

eycoW

Apr 7, 2009
Hi all,

I'm going for my very first wedding photo shoot this Sunday in msia. All I have is my canon 500D, 18-55mm and a 50mm f/s 1.8.

What settings are the best for wedding dinner held in a hotel/ball room?

Bearing in mind the lightings will be poor, and there will be quite abit of movement.

I won't be bringing my flash along.

So people! Advise!

Mode
aperture
exposure
shutter
white balance

etc etc. ;D

Bearing in mind the lightings will be poor, and there will be quite abit of movement.

Perhaps you'd like to explain the rationale behind such a decision.

Because otherwise, i think you are going to collect a lot of dark or blur photos.

why dun bring flash? just need to go earlier and test out the lighting. every ballroom different one.

just my 2cents. :D

Perhaps you'd like to explain the rationale behind such a decision.

Because otherwise, i think you are going to collect a lot of dark or blur photos.

same thinking too. flash quite impt for wedding wor.

If the TS is shooting for fun den by all means.... If it's a paid assignment, I would really like to see how the pix turn out. :think:

You already mentioned that lighting will be poor, so why are you still not bringing your flash along?? :dunno::dunno:

Hi all,

I'm going for my very first wedding photo shoot this Sunday in msia. All I have is my canon 500D, 18-55mm and a 50mm f/s 1.8.

So people! Advise!

Mode
aperture
exposure
shutter
white balance

etc etc. ;D

So you are shooting for fun?

dude, if u r the main photographer, pls dun leave your flash behind. it ll jus screw up ppl's photo n it wont be bad for u, but for the couple its gonna hurt. its for their memory n its for life.

fyi, even for my 50mm f1.4 during a wedding function, i ll bring 2 flash units. 1 as main, the other as spare n extra batts.

prob if u r paid, rent a better lens too. 18-55 is not so suitable. mayb a 24-70 f2.8 or a 17-55 f2.8 is usm.

50mm f1.8 is a decent lens n it may save your life in poor lighting. keep it ready at all times. but it mayb a lil long on a crop body like yours. its ur call, so recce the place, know the location of interest (stage, entrance etc.....)

If it's for fun and you are not the main photographer, then it's fine. Otherwise, you will be ruining the couple's big day. Also, remember, a fast lens doesn't help. If you turn to f1.8, so what, the DOF will be too shallow to capture enough details. Not bringing the flash is a big mistake. At least bring a flash there and it's up to you whether you use it there and then.

no flash will die lor. tell you first.

unless you 5D2 + 35f.14, 85f.12, 200f2. otherwise sure die.

and if you using flash, and use auto modes, like av la, awb la etc. guarantee + chop your images either too yellow or too blue.

if got other photog there, i advice you go ask him what's his M mode magic number. copy his setting with your flash *SHOULD* work. Nothing is 100%. come back then think why his settings work, and auto don't.

Remember, even fast lenses won't help. DOF will be too shallow to capture enough details for wedding event. Unless you purposely want the eyes of the bride sharp and the rest of the picture all blur. Not sure if the couple will appreciate this kind of 'artistic' pictures.

flash, you cant do without it.

and indoor lightings maybe be abit tricky to set the correct WB.

Last edited:
Hmm, no flash and wedding :think:.
If you hands are steady and you can manage to take a shoot with out moving for few seconds then by all means don't bring the flash. But if cannot then better bring it and then decide for yourself if you can take pictures with or without flash?
About setting, go there early as someone else mentioned before and do some test run to see what setting match your need. Try AV first if cannot then manual (but keeping in mind for manual you need to keep your eye on exposure).
Good luck and hope this is not paid assignment (or is it your first paid assignment?).

Hi all,

So people! Advise!

Mode
aperture
exposure
shutter
white balance

etc etc. ;D
you know the lighting is poor, you know there is movement, and not intend to use flash.

you will have a lot artistic photos with ultra high ISO noise, weird colors, unidentifiable objects with motion blur.

if your friend asked, just tell them this is the latest trend, the Avant Garde Wedding Photography.

Last edited:
if all photos have constant motion blur, weird wb, & high iso noise, then it could turn out to be an artistic wedding album... ;)

If you are the main photographer;
Go rent a proper camera (+Spare batts) and a fast lens. get the flash too (including bounce card).

If you helping out for fun and candid shoot;
Bring whatever you are comfortable.

Do share your photos after your wedding.

Cheers!

if all photos have constant motion blur, weird wb, & high iso noise, then it could turn out to be an artistic wedding album... ;)

actually, there is a different.

when a newbie's photos has motion blur, weird wb, & high iso noise, is call "m-i-s-t-a-k-e"

when I do this, is call "A-r-t-i-s-t-i-c",

if the newbies always do these, is call "a-m-a-t-e-u-r-i-s-h".

and if I always do these, is call "m-y s-t-y-l-e"

(words in red speak slowly with accent.) :bsmilie:

okay chill people, don't prosecute me :D

I'm going there mainly just to help out my gf's family, i ain' the main photographer (key point*)

I ain't bringing flash is cause i do not have 1, and am unable to borrow 1 in such short notice as well. (another key point*)

Am trying to use under expose shots to help me if the need arise, i hate the noise so am thinking of fixing to less than 1600 ISO if possible.

come on people! I don't wanna go about telling people this is avant garde style! lol