Advisable filter to buy

huatman said:
Maybe should say a UV filter won't degrade the IQ too much? Can consider Hoya or B+W, there are few different type of those 2 brand, depend on ur budget.

Yup get a better UV filter like hoya ...I had bought a cheap one before n I got flare on my photo do I tested the hoya its much better n consider it protect ur lend too .

If you must get one, then popular choices are Hoya and B+W. Be sure to get the multi-coated ones.

i use UV filter to protect my lens only... also to minimize dust from entering the lens. i also added on a hood too :p

I dun understand how a filter can help to prevent dust from entering the lens. You mean there are holes in your front element that you require the filter to help to cover??? :bsmilie:

Since there were a few comments mentioning that UV filters will not affect the IQ, I'm just curious to know if there is difference in IQ between using a $30 filter and a filter that costs $150?

Good point you have here. Filter does not prevent dust from getting in unless there is leaky seal in the front element. Zoom lens do draw air in and out of the lens, my suspect dust get it at the extended zoom portion instead of the front element. However I still put filter on as I am quite a rough user. Instead of cleaning the finger print, water droplet from the rain, wave splash etc from the front element, I will clean the filter.

I dun understand how a filter can help to prevent dust from entering the lens. You mean there are holes in your front element that you require the filter to help to cover??? :bsmilie:

Since there were a few comments mentioning that UV filters will not affect the IQ, I'm just curious to know if there is difference in IQ between using a $30 filter and a filter that costs $150?

Anyone bought a filter to protect their high-end UV filter from scratches and dust etc? :bsmilie:

yeah... the front element has holes to suck in dust... it's a known issue for 17-55

How highend and expensive can a filter be compare to a 2k-3k lens.

Anyone bought a filter to protect their high-end UV filter from scratches and dust etc? :bsmilie:

anyone heard Pixels brand uv filter?it is recommend by shop as i asking for cheaper range filter.
72mm uv multi coated nid ard $60 plus. but i nt sure hw is the quality...

anyone heard Pixels brand uv filter?it is recommend by shop as i asking for cheaper range filter.

Never heard of it, and that's expensive.

This is crazy. Very expensive for an unknown brand. I hope you have not buy yet.

For this price can get Hoya (maybe around + - $50) or even B+W (maybe around + - $70), or maybe even cheaper if you go to the right shops.

For an unknown brand 72mm filter, u can get from ebay with free shipping for $3.60, just to show you how much the shop is trying to cheat you of.

72mm UV filter lens Protector For Canon Tamron Nikon | eBay

Although I suggest that you do not buy unknown brand filters unless you plan to use them as lens cap and take them off before shooting. :p
Minimally, get a Hoya UV(C) or Hoya UV(O). Do not buy Hoya UV(Guard) which is lousy.

uv filter. it's just a piece of glass we use to try to stop dust landing on the lens itself lol. the higher end it is, the less the filter affects your IQ as an extra glass element imo.

omg...i bought dy.think get cheated.damn..
but the uv filter the glass look very slim n clear.
here is the product official website "http://www.pixelhk.com/Default.aspx"

paddy27 said:

Never heard of pixel filters, but I bought pixel wireless shutter release from ebay..

Which shop u bought it from? See if u can change it to Hoya or top-up for B+W but dun be too aggressive..

Another funky name for the same 3rd party things. Wouldn't be surprised to see exact similarity with any existing brand (check the Mass Sales here). All reputable brands have slim filters, nothing special here. The filter might look clear to your untrained eye, use it for a shoot around sunset or later and you will see what the cheap glass can do for you. The price looks inflated by factor 3 (at least) for a product that is not necessary for your camera. Lesson learned, tuition fees paid. Never listen to the recommendation of a sales man, buy what you know and buy what you need.

Get a normal Uv filter to protect the lens and get a hood just in case. Double protection

Get a normal Uv filter to protect the lens and get a hood just in case. Double protection

Be careful about getting a UV filters... if really want a UV filter, get something that is better or good. This is front first hand experience, I gotten those cheapo S$10 filters... and a few months down the road, the filters turned really 'oily'... so bad that it affect pics quality. The first thing I do then, is remove those filters and down the dustbin they go.

Frankly, nowadays there really is no need for an UV filter, unless you are just using them to protect your front element against knocks and bumps. And if that is the case, a lens hood made more sense.

whether or not to use UV filters vs using lens hood is a matter of personal preference.

on IQ:
most of the time the UV is just there to "protect" the front lens element. so IMO if you REALLY do want to use one, choose the better brands outright rather than those cheap unknown brands. it will cost more but you're getting your money's worth.

if you feel ANY kind of UV filter degrades IQ significantly, better not use any filter and go for a hood instead.

on "protection":
filter mostly protects against scrapes on the front element; against knocks and drops, filter offers minimal protection for the whole lens.

hood will mostly protect from bumps and small drops. head-on collisions with a relatively hard object (like tree branch sticking out), a hood won't do you much good as far as protection goes.

so see which one is your preference and which (IQ or protection) to consider on a particular situation. personally i wouldn't go with any unknown brand filters. it's only either 1) BETTER FILTER + hood; or 2) LENS HOOD only, no filter. ;)

If you want a UV for protection, you might want to read this, and this first.

Someone has also done a comparison of Hoya filters. You could see the result (with images) here.

Hope it helps =)

Last edited: