Advice on Primes

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaschan

Dec 30, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys, i intend to get 2 primes mainly for indoor shots (lowlight)..
I hate using flash because i want to capture the ambient lighting (usually warm), and the white light from the flash screws it up...

however, i feel that 50mm is usually good for a portrait, but sometimes when i take of 2 ppl etc, i want a larger crop...

im definitlely getting the 50/1.8,
what do u think is another prime i shd get?
is 35mm ok, or is it too similar to the 50mm? what abt 28?

also, how much more light is there in a 2.8vs2.0vs1.8?
does each stop effectively allow me to halve my exposure time (shutter speed)?

I really hate pumping up the ISO to unreasonable amts just to be able to hand hold it..

BTW im using d70, so must take into accnt the 1.5x.

thanks!

Yes, each stop allows you to halve your shutter speed. 2.8 to 2.0 is one stop, 2.0 to 1.8 is 1/3 stop.

A 35mm on 1.5x crop gives you something *similar* to a 50mm normal lens, your 50mm becomes something *similar* to a 75mm lens. The 28 becomes a very average 42mm. I'd say 35 is too close, but then it really depends on your shooting style. If you want a wide angle you really need to stretch to a 24mm and below.

Not sure what you are describing here. But personally I find that a 50mm*1.5FOV can handle both individual portraits and up to 2-3 pple if you just step back a little.

You don't really need another lens if its just 2-3persons.

I agree, a 50mm f/1.8 can do nice portraits... just did a family portrait in which there were like 10 of us -no problem, just back up about 10 feet or so ;p

thomaschan, if I were you with only a choice of 2 lenses, I'll get the 24mm (20mm if you've the budget) and 50mm. These'll cover at least most of the subjects.

D70's grain at high ISOs is minimal. i dont really see a problem with increasing the iso

if u are into primes... get the following based on your photography needs

The std
50mm... the std

The wide
20mm

The macro
105mm

Portraiture
either 85 or 105

thanks a billion for the advice guys... i might consider getting the 35mm prime..

how about tokina/tamron/sigma primes? any of those good?

after seeing how much sharper my 50mm prime is, i find that im using my kit lens less and less!

I'd get the 20mm if I were you. It is a very versatile lens for travel/everyday photography. In my opinion, 35mm is a 'nowhere here nowhere there' focal length.

thomaschan said:
after seeing how much sharper my 50mm prime is, i find that im using my kit lens less and less!

thomas, welcome to the PRIME club. Same as you, I've given up on most of my zoom lenses after experiencing the sharpness of my primes and sold those zooms away. The only zooms I will seriously consider to add to my kit will be the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 and the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8. ;)

sfhuang said:
thomas, welcome to the PRIME club. Same as you, I've given up on most of my zoom lenses after experiencing the sharpness of my primes and sold those zooms away. The only zooms I will seriously consider to add to my kit will be the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 and the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8. ;)
70-200 ;) ;)

If you are at really extreme low light conditions, then a shorter focal length will reduce your minimum shutter speed based on the 1/focal length rule. I would choose a 35mm f/2D or 28mm f/1.4D, based on your budget. Shoot at full resolution and RAW if possible. If you have a hand held meter or don't mind guessing, you can go for the manual focus 35mm f/1.4 or 28mm f/2 for much cheaper prices.

Shoot half body for headshots and by cropping down, this will still let you use 1/15 or 1/30 at 28mm. As long as your lens is sharp enough (as most primes are) and the subject is big enough, you can get a good balance between crop limits and camera shake at long shutter speeds.

I have the 85mm f/2 and 105mm f/2.5 lenses, and for low light, they are just limited by the faster shutter speeds that they require. Unless you are using a tripod/monopod, then stick to 50mm and shorter.

Aaron

Witness said:
perhaps u wanna get a 105mm prime....for head and body shots..

it's ok for one person but if there're two, it could be a bit too tight and the photographer need to stand quite far away ;p

aaronng said:
Shoot half body for headshots and by cropping down, this will still let you use 1/15 or 1/30 at 28mm. As long as your lens is sharp enough (as most primes are) and the subject is big enough, you can get a good balance between crop limits and camera shake at long shutter speeds.

Shooting wider cuts down on handshake, but by enlarging more (due to the cropping) don't you end up magnifying any existing shake more again?

thomaschan said:
Hi guys, i intend to get 2 primes mainly for indoor shots (lowlight)..
I hate using flash because i want to capture the ambient lighting (usually warm), and the white light from the flash screws it up...

however, i feel that 50mm is usually good for a portrait, but sometimes when i take of 2 ppl etc, i want a larger crop...

im definitlely getting the 50/1.8,
what do u think is another prime i shd get?
is 35mm ok, or is it too similar to the 50mm? what abt 28?

also, how much more light is there in a 2.8vs2.0vs1.8?
does each stop effectively allow me to halve my exposure time (shutter speed)?

I really hate pumping up the ISO to unreasonable amts just to be able to hand hold it..

BTW im using d70, so must take into accnt the 1.5x.

thanks!

from a cost front, a 28mm f2.8 and a 50mm f1.8 would be ideal. both using 52mm filter also. however, the 1.5x multiplier of the D70 makes the 20mm f2.8 preferable but bear in mind this costs more than double the price of the 28mm.

i love primes myself (love my 50mm!) and the obvious third prime for me would be the 105 Micro which does double duty as a macro lens as well and also uses 52mm filters.

to add another point, you might not shoot with these lenses wide open since to my eyes the images come out a bit "soft". also remember to maintain proper shutter speeds ~1/60-1/125 when shooting people indoors with typical indoor lighting.

I second sebastionsong's recommendation of a 20, 50 and the 105 Micro. It's a very versatile and light weight kit good for handling most situations you can throw at it. An alternative might be 20, 35, 85 if you are more into portraits

Status
Not open for further replies.