3k budget.

With your budget, get a D90 and one/two FX lens + flash. When the time comes and you can have more cash to upgrade to FX body, you can do so without having to change ur lenses!

Having a D700 and 50mm can be too restrictive, not recommended IMHO.

I guess it's best to listen to your heart. Since you already set on getting a D700...go for it. ;);) Just get the D700 and later on build up the lens you need.

tats also depends on how long u can shoot with 50/1.4 if u buy the d700

You said that you don't even consider a D90, so you must be a Pro photographer then you should look at D3x or 1D M x

Do you know that when comes to noise comparision, the D90 is better than D300. You are also not into birdie so the 7fps vs D90 4.5fps also not affecting you. why spend uncessary bucks for D300 which I hv consider earlier but eventually I bought D90 since I not a pro.

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d300-vs-d90-high-iso-noise-comparison

U hv the moola, go for D700 ... and as you said, $$ will come and so will yr lens collection with it. No need the trouble for future FX upgrade unless u need an even better body for GOD knows what. :)

I think just a 50mm is too restrictive for "candids/family/nightscape" that you might shoot. Unless of course you are not going to shoot your whole family in a single shot, or do pano for your family portrait :bsmilie:

Anyway, for build quality, D90 is pretty good already, it doesn't look like you're going to have much risk of camera damage with those stuff you shoot. Grip is large enough with the battery grip I think.

Last edited:
hey man, i support your idea to go FX. once u get there you cant go back. the 50mm was made for full frame. when i used to shoot with my d80 and the 50 i nearly sold it away because i found it very difficult to use. but the moment i upgraded to d700 it never left my camera. is just wide enough yet long enough to give you a sense of compression and not forgetting the bokeh (although personally i prefer the bokeh of the 35f2)

build quality u pay for what you get for. ive held a d90 before and its not the same la. its like although lexus and toyota are the same, the build is different la. in the long run ure gonna hold on to this body and save the hassel and cash of upgrading to full frame later if u buy dx (since i sense u wanna go that way any way)

lastly on a not so significant point, u feel shiok u finally own a d700 hahahahaha

From your comments, I would like to ask FX user, if let FX user use a D90 + 35mm f1.8, can it compare with D700 + 50 f1.4 (1.8)?

Hi

I think a lot of people do not realise just how much can be done with just a good 35mm film body and a single 50mm lens. In today's (and this forum's) context, that would be a single D700 body and a 50mm lens. Any 50.

A lot of iconic photographs that have framed and defined the passages of human history had been shot with 50mm lenses of different makes, on cameras less sophisticated and technically inferior than even the most basic of DSLRs right now on the market.

I think you won't regret it. *

==============
* Unless u're part of today's celebrity culture and all you want to shoot are girls, models, bikini babes, famous people and all you want to do is join in such outings, in which case you need the longest baddest lens you can afford so that you can jostle with, and actually match gear with your other contemporaries :)

if you have 3k, get the D700.

If you have $3k, it probably is not very hard for you to get another $500 to buy a second lens, like maybe 24mm f2.8.

if you're willing to wait, wait for D700 replacment, photokina is a the end of the month....

Get the D700.
if not there will always be "the camera" that you want each time u use the D300s.

I had the D90, it was good but the D700 was better.

D700.... just get it... it is that good....

Hi

I think a lot of people do not realise just how much can be done with just a good 35mm film body and a single 50mm lens. In today's (and this forum's) context, that would be a single D700 body and a 50mm lens. Any 50.

A lot of iconic photographs that have framed and defined the passages of human history had been shot with 50mm lenses of different makes, on cameras less sophisticated and technically inferior than even the most basic of DSLRs right now on the market.

I think you won't regret it. *

==============
* Unless u're part of today's celebrity culture and all you want to shoot are girls, models, bikini babes, famous people and all you want to do is join in such outings, in which case you need the longest baddest lens you can afford so that you can jostle with, and actually match gear with your other contemporaries :)

:thumbsup:

Glad you mentioned this and I believe I can do wonders with this lens alone with a D700. Afterall, I don't need a big collection of lenses for now. Just one at a time.

I'll wait until Photokina. Maybe a new model or slashed prices.

tats also depends on how long u can shoot with 50/1.4 if u buy the d700

Second that. How long TS could shoot with only 50mm f/1.4.

For me, I prefer to have more lenses to play around.

To answer some of the questions:

What I shoot:
I'll be shooting mainly candids/family/nightscape.
And I really like the high iso of the d700.
Forget telezooms for now. I'm not into birds.

Since I already have a 50mm f1.4, I just want to make full use of it.
If I get a DX body, for sure I will need to buy a wider DX lens, which will then make the 50mm a bit redundant.
This is something which I want to avoid.

Down the road, I'll get a standard/zoom lens or a UWA.
I don't need all those lenses now, but I rather choose wisely and carefully.
Money will come eventually.

I used to have a D70s with a couple of DX lenses(from wide to zoom). Since I'm left with none now, why not switch to FX. Wouldn't you do the same if you had the opportunity?

Sure. Why not switch to FX? If you have the budget, that is. ;)

:thumbsup:

Glad you mentioned this and I believe I can do wonders with this lens alone with a D700. Afterall, I don't need a big collection of lenses for now. Just one at a time.

I'll wait until Photokina. Maybe a new model or slashed prices.

Please note D700 replacement will not be announced/released till 2011. Some Nikon reps have already confirmed this.

However D90's replacement, D7000 should be announced in a few days time.

Please note D700 replacement will not be announced/released till 2011. Some Nikon reps have already confirmed this.

i want to be the 1st to make D7000 official thread. :bsmilie:

yup, this is what the rumors say. but it is no harm to wait a few more says since photokina is really just around the corner.

Maybe the D90 replacement will blow your away..