3k budget.

chouk

Apr 15, 2006
Situation:
I have no more cameras but I'm left with a nikkor 50mm F1.4 D.
. And let's say my budget is roughly 3K.

Either spend and:
1. Get the D700 and use the existing 50mm. (use it for at least 6-8 months)
2. or get the D300s+ Another 1k for lens. (because a 50mm on a DX body is too restricted for my casual use)

And I wouldn't consider the D90 or any lower levels since I'm looking for the build quality.

What are your thoughts on that?

d700 maybe need to get second hand or stretch the budget a bit

but honestly speaking what kind of photos do you mostly take?
streets and candids? landscapes? portraits?

if streets and candids or portraits the d700 will be a better choice but for landscapes it's not really wide enough IMO and getting a d300s + wide angle lens may be better

so it really depends on what photos you mostly take

hope that helps :)

Situation:

Either spend and:
2. or get the D300s+ Another 1k for lens. (because a 50mm on a DX body is too restricted for my casual use)

And I wouldn't consider the D90 or any lower levels since I'm looking for the build quality.

Do you even know what you are talking about?? The D90 has good build quality too, more then enough for most city dwellers usage:thumbsup:
Unless you are a journalist shooting in a war zone then tats another story, are you?:bsmilie::bsmilie:
Only you yourself knows how much you are into photography, alot of people over stretch their budget buying the best camera and not using it, be mindful that the D700 with lens is heavy :sweat:compared to a entry level model such as the D5000.

Situation:

Either spend and:

Get a used D300 and spend the rest on Nikkor 28-300. With the money left, get a SB600.

Do you even know what you are talking about?? The D90 has good build quality too, more then enough for most city dwellers usage:thumbsup:
Unless you are a journalist shooting in a war zone then tats another story, are you?:bsmilie::bsmilie:
Only you yourself knows how much you are into photography, alot of people over stretch their budget buying the best camera and not using it, be mindful that the D700 with lens is heavy :sweat:compared to a entry level model such as the D5000.

:) I don't underestimate the D90. But I don't mind paying more for the bigger and better rubber grip. Comfort is top priority. I do have huge hands. I've tried the d5000 and that's way too small.

:) I don't underestimate the D90. But I don't mind paying more for the bigger and better rubber grip. Comfort is top priority. I do have huge hands. I've tried the d5000 and that's way too small.

Get a battery grip. D90 is a very good camera.

Get a used D300 and spend the rest on Nikkor 28-300. With the money left, get a SB600.

I believe it's the new nikkor 28-300(fx) that recently came out right.
Since I'm starting fresh again, I would rather build an FX lens collection.
but this lens on a dx body...hmm?...

(1) 2nd hand D300s (~ 1.8k to 1.9k) + new AFS VRII 28-300mm (~1340) => ~3.2K
(2) 2nd hand D300s (~ 1.8k to 1.9k) + new AFS VR 70-300mm (~750)+ 2nd hand SB600 (~300) or 35mm f/1.8G (~340) => ~2.95K to 3K
(3) new D300s (~2.15K) + new AFS VR 70-300mm (~750) => ~2.9K

dude

what i can say is that the difference between a d90's grip and d700's grip is not as obvious as that between a d90's and a d5000's.

Situation:

Either spend and:

You still have not answered the question: What do you shoot??

I have very big hands too. And I find the D90 very comfortable without the battery grip. And about built quality... I used my D90 in -25 deg C weather. It worked flawlessly.

But really, to move to D300s or D700 plus lenses (FX lenses at that), you need a much larger budget than 3k. Increase your budget. If you cannot, go for D90. If not willing, wait and save up more. Or if have to get now, get a used D200.

It is impossible to want cheap, want big, want big big.

Situation:

Either spend and:

"Extreme" Durability test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

Situation:

Either spend and:

1) Are you sure you only have and use one lens with D700 ? In FX body, this Nifty Fify lens is too wide, IMHO.

2) D300s + another 1K for lens. This is better option !
Of course what lens do you need to buy depend on what you shoot.

If big hands are an issue there's the D3 :D
D90 is quite a good cam too, essentially D300s in a smaller form, minus metal body and some features which you might not even miss. And gives you more cash left for lenses.
What lenses to get will depend on you telling us what you intend to shoot. No use recommending a UWA to you if you intend to shoot birds...you get the point. :)

To answer some of the questions:

What I shoot:
I'll be shooting mainly candids/family/nightscape.
And I really like the high iso of the d700.
Forget telezooms for now. I'm not into birds.

Since I already have a 50mm f1.4, I just want to make full use of it.
If I get a DX body, for sure I will need to buy a wider DX lens, which will then make the 50mm a bit redundant.
This is something which I want to avoid.

Down the road, I'll get a standard/zoom lens or a UWA.
I don't need all those lenses now, but I rather choose wisely and carefully.
Money will come eventually.

I used to have a D70s with a couple of DX lenses(from wide to zoom). Since I'm left with none now, why not switch to FX. Wouldn't you do the same if you had the opportunity?

hey man, i support your idea to go FX. once u get there you cant go back. the 50mm was made for full frame. when i used to shoot with my d80 and the 50 i nearly sold it away because i found it very difficult to use. but the moment i upgraded to d700 it never left my camera. is just wide enough yet long enough to give you a sense of compression and not forgetting the bokeh (although personally i prefer the bokeh of the 35f2)

build quality u pay for what you get for. ive held a d90 before and its not the same la. its like although lexus and toyota are the same, the build is different la. in the long run ure gonna hold on to this body and save the hassel and cash of upgrading to full frame later if u buy dx (since i sense u wanna go that way any way)

lastly on a not so significant point, u feel shiok u finally own a d700 hahahahaha

Even though you buy, say a 18-55 lens, 50mm with the 18-55 will let you use max F5.6 (estimated), but the 50mm F1.4 will let you shoot at F1.4. In low light the 50mm F1.4 will win, plus the bokeh advantage. So it's not really redundant.

he did mention a flash, which would be really ideal for low light. but for bokeh, yes, the 50 f1.4 wins hands down.

To answer some of the questions:

What I shoot:
I'll be shooting mainly candids/family/nightscape.

The ISO for D90/D300 is good enough to handle candids and family IMHO. If you are talking about nightscape, I suppose you will be using a tripod and ISO performance doesn't come into picture that much.

Get a used D300/D300s with used UWA, then wait for D700 successor. Used D300s and used lenses don't depreciate that much, you might be able to sell them off at selling price if you are smart.