2011 MAY RSAF Open House, Paya Lebar Airbase, Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's a chance, if I bring a crop body + a 400mm lens, the security guy won't allow me in and possibly detain me?

tele-extender + lens, not body + lens :)

so the max would be 1.6 x 500mm (Fix)

if u can get a NEX with 500mm good for u!

They limited the combined effective focal length of item with lenses, so to say

Can try ur luck. Just dun be so suay to get caught. Even if they do, there is nothing much they can do

Last edited:
NEX is also APS-C :) Same as Canon DSLR...

Those who really want to shoot very long tele bring M4/3 camera with a 500mm lens ;)
Shld come up to 1000mm equi focal length.

BTW I asked their official fb page and they say can bring crop body + 400mm lens. Which is what I'm bringing. :D

Or just mod a compact camera to accept SLR lenses. Mount a 50mm lens and you get a super long bazooka (focal length that is...)

Last edited:
traditionally, which day is more crowded? Sat or Sun? Any one's who's been there can advise?

traditionally, which day is more crowded? Sat or Sun? Any one's who's been there can advise?

sat! cos sunday no need to work, sunday lesser people cos monday need to work =x

Just came back from the Open House.

Photographers this time round can get better shots as the crowd is more controlled, not cluttered around the displays.

The aerial display is pretty close up. minimum 85mm and a 300mm lens is good enough.

Today weather quite ok. And bring a earplug.

some cordoned static displays, others allowing visitors onboard... these were obviously of the static displays.

A good spot for the Aerial Display will be on the railing right side of the Grand Stand.

That spot is where the aircraft will taxi out, as well as troops insertion.

they strict about lenses this time. no lens cannot be above 500mm, including teleconverter.

DiGdUb said:
they strict about lenses this time. no lens cannot be above 500mm, including teleconverter.

Are u sure ? They nvr check our lenses at all. I saw plenty of guys brought 600mm lens.

Are u sure ? They nvr check our lenses at all. I saw plenty of guys brought 600mm lens.

They never check my bag.. I sling the cam on my shoulder.. the RP just ask me what range is the lens on my cam body which is a 18-200mm..

I can confirm 'DiGdUb' post. I had to deposit my 2x extender with them. Was bringing in 70-200mm. They say other bring in 300mm, so can use 2x extender for 600mm. Got it back when i left Open House premises.

yup. they asked to see the every lens focal range. maybe your queue was less strict.

DiGdUb said:
yup. they asked to see the every lens focal range. maybe your queue was less strict.

Too crowded make me difficult to snap a better photo.

JJLoke said:
A good spot for the Aerial Display will be on the railing right side of the Grand Stand.

That spot is where the aircraft will taxi out, as well as troops insertion.

By right side, u mean the end closer to the static displays or the end further away?

By right side, u mean the end closer to the static displays or the end further away?

nearer the static display. the fighter planes taxi out onto the runway there.

Just got back from the show! Quite good, crowded of course. Could see a lot of enthusiasts and semi-pros going around with DSLRs and telephoto zooms. Could see some bros with longer than 500mm lenses though...

i went with 2 bodies and 5 lenses, but they didn't ask me to open my bag

The previous open house they ask to open bag & check any lens that look long.. but it jam up the queue..
IIRC, I got to queue around half hr under the hot sun previous show.
Today no long queue and pass the checkpoint in less then 5 mins..
Believe they minimize the checking to prevent queue jam bah..

Thanks everyone for sharing your tips.

If I may add: if you are only interested in catching the planes in the air, you don't have to squeeze in with everyone at the grandstand area. Any unobstructed open location in the exhibition area should be able to give you decent angles. And a lot more space to manouvre your long lens without elbowing anyone!

You only need to be at the grandstand area to shoot the ground demo (including the planes taxiing past). And you need to be right at the very front (unless you are on the elevated grandstand itself). Otherwise, your view will be obstructed by people in front of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.