K-5+DA*60-250 @ RSAF Open House 2011

sbc

Jun 27, 2005
West of Singapore
PLAB open house, 28/05/2011, 1100hrs. Overcast sky makes for dull photos. Nevertheless, K-5 performed admirably; focusing is fast and accurate. Together with the 60-250, it is the 'perfect' combo for me.

No sharpening done. CS automatically reduces the photos to 1000x750. Sharpness is affected.

F-16C~0.jpg

M113.jpg

Chinook.jpg

Super_Puma~0.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots! I agree they'd look even better if the weather was better.

Pity I couldn't make to the Show this year, have to wait for next round :(

Nice! I never thought oI would be in the market for a tele photo lens, How do you reckon the 55-300 stack up against the venerable da* in terms of bang for buck?

Thanks!

FW,
Thanks! That would be a 2 to 3 years wait!

Piscator,
I have not owned the 55-300, but I heard the IQ is good, only AF is slower.

Last edited:
FW,
Thanks! That would be a 2 to 3 years wait!

Piscator,
I have not owned the 55-300, but I heard the IQ is good, only AF is slower.

sbc, your handholding at long focal length ability is commendable! those are sharp pics of moving objects!

you've also managed to spread potent da* poison!

Thanks but credit goes to the DA*60-250. It is better balanced than the DA*300 than I used to have. It makes handholding easier.

I think the 60-250 is going to stay with me for a long long time...

Last edited:
Piscator said:
Nice! I never thought oI would be in the market for a tele photo lens, How do you reckon the 55-300 stack up against the venerable da* in terms of bang for buck?

Thanks!

I've tried them side by side before, bang for the buck definitely the 55-300. Just based on the pics, you probably can't be sure which lens took it, even when cropped down somewhat. But with the da* you're paying extra for the build, constant f4, weather seal, better AF, and bragging rights. If you use tele quite a bit, it's probably worth the extra!

Thanks guys! Will pick one up shortly.......

55-300 or 60-250? ;)

I almost bought the 55-300 but some friendly soul advice me about the slow AF. In the end, I decided it is better to invest in the DA* and never have to think about upgrading.

But value wise, I think 55-300 is better value for money.

Last edited:
Well, I will get the el cheapo one while waiting for the release (hopefully) of similar zoom range using latest motor drive found on 18-135 and with wr.

Am using k5 so the slow af and not so wide aperture could be overcame somewhat, I think. ;)

Nice photos sbc, interesting to see what our tax dollars are spent on... :sweat:

nice pics! sad that i cant go for the open house too.. haiz!

55-300 or 60-250? ;)

I almost bought the 55-300 but some friendly soul advice me about the slow AF. In the end, I decided it is better to invest in the DA* and never have to think about upgrading.

But value wise, I think 55-300 is better value for money.

Bro,

How much is the 60-250 lens??

SOooo envy to have 60-250. I wanted to get it also but still waiting to save some enough spare cash.... I was at the Open hse also bringing my newphew along but only shot with my Pentax 17-70

Really nice shots, I have long lusted after this lens but unfortunately I don't think I will use it often enough to justify the price.

I know what you mean. I sort of use it only once or twice every year, for open house, air show and such. Tried using it to shoot girls, but in the end I switch to the much much lighter DFA 50 & 100.

Nice capture sbc.:)

A small suggestion, maybe next time when capturing the SuperPuma, Chinook and Apache helicopter can try out a low shutter speed to get the rotor rotating and they don't look froze in the sky.:)