Would u quit to your job to 'MAS HUNT'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
5 DAYS TO PREPARE FOR $1M 'MAS HUNT'
Lured by $1 million reward, 3 S'pore men quit private sector jobs for Mas Selamat hunt

They'll live on savings for a year while infiltrating local communities

By Elysa Chen

July 27, 2008

ARE these bounty hunters for real?

Their quarry: Escaped terrorist Mas Selamat Kastari, who now has a $1 million reward on his head.

According to their spokesman, these three Singaporeans have quit their jobs so they can look for their target in Indonesia.

Why? For a million bucks and perhaps a chance to appear as heroes.

But the hunt could lead to injury or even death when terrorists turn into desperados.

And they could get into serious legal problems hunting fugitives on foreign soil, or even spark a diplomatic row.

For all the risk, they could end up with nothing after months of frustration.

But this is not stopping the three men, all in their 20s, who have resigned from their jobs in the private sector this week to try their luck.

COMMANDO TRAINING

The trio, who had undergone commando training during their national service, are heading to Indonesia today.

The three men, who have been volunteers with Crime Library since 2005, contacted its founder, Mr Joseph Tan, on Tuesday to seek his opinion about their plans.

Mr Tan, 42, who is acting as their spokesman and their point of contact in Singapore, said: 'They are not my children, but I feel like a father to them.

'If I were 20 years younger, I would join them. I may also become a part-millionaire in the process.'

Mr Tan declined to reveal details about the men for fear of blowing their cover. They also turned down requests for an interview.

Anti-terrorist professionals spend many months training before they carry out big missions, but the trio are off after barely five days of preparation.

Their aim is to blend into local communities in Indonesia and to seek leads that might pinpoint the hideout of the Jemaah Islamiah (JI) leader.

Anti-terror agencies in the region have failed so far to track down the fugitive after a four-month search.

Yet the bounty hunters believe they stand a chance to strike paydirt.

The call of a million dollars is strong. The bounty, offered by two anonymous businessmen, is Singapore's largest ever.

Mr Tan said their first aim is to try to work out Mas Selamat's escape route. One of their theories is that he could have left Singapore from a fishing port in Jurong.

The men have some savings to tide them over their first year in Indonesia, Mr Tan said.

They plan to gain the trust of the locals who could help them get closer to the JI cells there.

But is there a danger they might get indoctrinated as well?

Mr Tan's reply: 'I'm not worried that they will get converted, because terrorists don't get $1 million as a reward.'

To help the effort, Mr Tan sent out an e-mail with Mas Selamat's picture, to alert people in Malaysia, Indonesia and China to be on the lookout.

Mr Tan has helped solved about 440 missing person cases since he founded Crime Library in 2001.

The former policeman said: 'With the $1 million offer, we can borrow eyes in other countries, turning the people in our network to become bounty hunters too.'

CREATED A BUZZ

The reward has also created a buzz in the security industry, including those in neighbouring countries.

Mr Ponno Kalastree, 61, managing director of security and investigations agency Mainguard International, has mobilised agents in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines to look out for Mas Selamat.

He said: 'The reward will be a real motivation. If they find him, they can live comfortably for the rest of their lives.'

Dr SM Jegan, a director of Kokusai Security, has offered an additional $10,000 from his own pocket if his staff members in Singapore and network in Indonesia are able to give information on Mas Selamat's whereabouts.

'Mas Selamat's escape has affected our reputation as a safe country.

' I am also concerned for the safety of Singaporeans,' he said.

Some terrorists have been caught after rewards were offered for their capture.

9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was captured in Pakistan in 2003 after a US$25 million ($34m) bounty was offered.

Last year, four Filipinos were paid US$10 million after Abu Sayyaf leaders Khadaffy Janjalani and Abu Sulaiman were discovered and killed.

The Indonesian-born Mas Selamat escaped from a detention centre here in February.

Officials say they have no information to confirm that he has left Singapore or that he has escaped to Indonesia.

"Infiltrate local communities"? "Gain their trust?"

Erm, I'm trying to make this as politically correct as possible, but I think there are major factors already working against them before they even begin.

1) They are foreigners/S'porean.
2) They are orang cina.

Are they well versed in Indonesian culture and Bahasa Indonesia? 5 days to prep? Did they read The Lonely Planet Guide or what? Yah, they may be commando trained, but this is not jungle warfare, and they will not be armed, so that kind of training isn't of much relevance in this mission.

What kinds of leads do they have? Resources? Contacts? More than the government? (Unless hmm, they are secret agents whose existence are outrightly denied by the government? :think: ) Aside from actually running into a JI stronghold of 250 men armed with parangs, AK-47s and plastic explosives, and managing to find Mas Selamat, I think the greater worry for them is actually getting busted by Indonesian Immigration Officials.

AAAAANNNDD... let's say they actually manage to get the fella.

After spending all that money on the mission, get the million bucks (should be subject to gahmen tax right?), you minus here, minus there, then split it 3 ways, how much is each person going to get? $250k? After putting your own life at risk, making your family worry (and I am damn sure if something happen to you if you're there, insurance sure cannot claim one), worth it meh?

I say, if you want to make $250k, or even $1m, weekday go and buy Toto/4D, weekend go Kranji race track, and then if still got time, go and sign up for game shows like "Don't Forget the Lyrics" on channel 5. I think the chance of getting something would be higher.

Or,

Maybe this whole thing is some publicity stunt lah. Go there and sell "Have You Seen Mas Selamat?" T-shirts. Also not bad.

This Mas Selamat issue from the day he escaped till now.... every piece of news is a joke and embarrassment

1) Mas Selamat escaping
2) Claimed sightings of Mas
3) Conflicting reports on what he was wearing when he escaped.
4) Inaccurate reports on whether he limps or not
5) Discovery of how easily he was supposed to have escaped.
6) Now this 3 goons who think with "commando" training, they can have some luck at catching him.

Honestly.... can we just let the issue die down and let the real intelligence agencies get him.... and not make it into the joke it already is.

I'm now giving up full-time photography to hunt MS.

I think it is a more practical way to make $1M than through a DSLR. :bsmilie:

I'm fully equipped for the big task ahead:

Jedi.jpg
[/IMG]

Sion, u waving America flag somemore...tink better don't go, else sure kanna chop..literally.:bsmilie:

maybe already know of security breach at airport long ago...? :think:

see Sg, just wave through? :flush:

sion, why do you have to wear goggles to hunt mas?
wah! lightsaber somemore.

ya very smart advertise that they are hunting mas...way to go to blowing their cover.:sweat:

I just hope a few months down the road, we don't see breaking news on TV in which these 3 guys are tied up and a knife held to their throats and a group of chanting terrorists demanding Singapore Government release some terrorists we have in custody for their lives....

I just hope a few months down the road, we don't see breaking news on TV in which these 3 guys are tied up and a knife held to their throats and a group of chanting terrorists demanding Singapore Government release some terrorists we have in custody for their lives....

i wouldn't discount that eventuality since the media was stupid enuff to annouce these people will be hunting mas.

Well, it is rumored in coffeeshops that the number of hunters is not merely 3. They said there are some 50 of them and some are already out in the Indonesian islands.

Well, it is rumored in coffeeshops that the number of hunters is not merely 3. They said there are some 50 of them and some are already out in the Indonesian islands.

i'm waiting for the news where they return home after robbed and beaten up by indonesian ah beng:bsmilie:

Really arh? The fever is really catching on MAS Hunt fever!:sweat:

These guys suppose to have 'commando training' but all they need is 'common sense' to realize what they're planning is a disaster in the making.

sounds like a plot of a bad movie :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.