WinXP only can enter safe mode, can it be hardware issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be a software conflict with DEP. If Intel processor, check the BIOS to see if there is an option to disable the hardware DEP. Otherwise, get into safe mode, right click my computer->properties, choose advanced, click settings under Startup and Recovery, under system startup, click Edit.

Under the list of operating systems, make a copy and append " NoDEP" to one of the name, the /NoExecute=OptIn change to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff.

Save.

Reboot and during bootup, choose this NoDEP OS.

Let us know if it works. Might be something you installed.

nope. it is AMD. so does it still matter with DEP?

nope. it is AMD. so does it still matter with DEP?

All the more to suspect DEP.. Which is why I didn't mention about it, just said otherwise.... DEP for AMD is in the processor so cannot disable from BIOS, Intel's DEP is implemented by the BIOS and slows down the PC quite a bit. I am an AMD supporter. After you boot up properly, then go and find out what is the program which is not written with best practice and disable it. Otherwise you'll have to permanently disable DEP which is compromising security.

It's difficult to isolate this kind or problem, maybe you can try this....Reset your bios to factory default, I suspect you might accidentally overclock your memory :think: A more drastic way is to increase the voltage of your memory bit by bit but don't try it if you are not so sure what is this, it will fry your chip :sweat:

If not, try clean install the OS once more...it could be jut the driver issue :sweat:

Insert the memory according to banks. ie.

Dimm1 & Dimm3: K512
Dimm2 & Dimm4: C512

Go into your BIOS settings and look for something called Command Rate. Set this to 2T.

Sometimes, this is called Command Per Clock (CPC). In this instance, disable CPC.

You probably have a Winchester or NewCastle chip to have been using DDR333 memory. Either way, you can forget about using 4 sticks of memory in dual-channel configuration whilst having 1T Command Rate. The only way to run stably is to use 2T Command Rate for 4 sticks.

i went into the bios and hunt around.
found this part and it is already 2T, i change the timing mode into manual and it shows

timing mode manual
memclock index value 200mhz
cas# latency (tcl) 2.5
min ras# active time (tras) auto
ras# to cas# delay (trcd) auto
row percentage time (trp) auto
bottom of 32 bit {31:24} IO E0
1T/2T memory timing 2T
S/W memory hole remapping disabled

also i change high performance mode to optimised
cool n quiet to auto
boot to os/2 yes
hard disk smart enabled

but did not find the CPC to off.

and i look carefully and sees that my old kingston has things on 2 sides, likely a double side ram. whereas the new corsair ones are 1 sides, so i think they are single side ram. maybe that is the problem. double side or single side better, if i'm to keep only a pair?

found this part and it is already 2T, i change the timing mode into manual and it shows

timing mode manual
cas# latency (tcl) 2.5
1T/2T memory timing 2T

cool n quiet to auto
boot to os/2 yes
hard disk smart enabled

and i look carefully and sees that my old kingston has things on 2 sides, likely a double side ram. whereas the new corsair ones are 1 sides, so i think they are single side ram. maybe that is the problem. double side or single side better, if i'm to keep only a pair?

Don't change the timing to manual mode unless you know what to set. Leave it to auto.
High performance mode should not be set to optimise as it might be pushing the specification to the limit.
Leave the boot to OS/2 to NO. You only need set to YES if you are running IBM OS/2.

Sound like a compatibility issue. If you want to keep a pair, keep the single side one.
Have you try to put your Corsair RAM first?

timing mode manual
cas# latency (tcl) 2.5
1T/2T memory timing 2T

cool n quiet to auto
boot to os/2 yes
hard disk smart enabled

Eh, I thought you said ur ram is DDR333? How come the "memclock index value" is 200mhz? Should be 166mhz (assuming this is the actual clock not the dual rate clock).

Might be a software conflict with DEP. If Intel processor, check the BIOS to see if there is an option to disable the hardware DEP. Otherwise, get into safe mode, right click my computer->properties, choose advanced, click settings under Startup and Recovery, under system startup, click Edit.

Under the list of operating systems, make a copy and append " NoDEP" to one of the name, the /NoExecute=OptIn change to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff.

Save.

Reboot and during bootup, choose this NoDEP OS.

Let us know if it works. Might be something you installed.

didn't see an option for DEP

Don't change the timing to manual mode unless you know what to set. Leave it to auto.
High performance mode should not be set to optimise as it might be pushing the specification to the limit.
Leave the boot to OS/2 to NO. You only need set to YES if you are running IBM OS/2.

Sound like a compatibility issue. If you want to keep a pair, keep the single side one.
Have you try to put your Corsair RAM first?

yes, i did, by having corsair in 1st and 3rd slot (green). then do the 2nd pair. by putting in the recommended mode of C, K, C, K or K, C, K, C either way (in the green, blue, green, blue slots), the system keep recognising 1GB only.

after doing the above BIOS amendments, i switch to K, K, C, C and try to see if it works, so far still trying (now on desktop, wait until failure).

there seems to be occasional difficulty in picking up power of usb devices, has that got anything to do with ram and mobo?

and although i change to manual for timing, i did not alter any of the values, wonder if it is al'rite to leave it that way?

Eh, I thought you said ur ram is DDR333? How come the "memclock index value" is 200mhz? Should be 166mhz (assuming this is the actual clock not the dual rate clock).

i pull out the ram, and got many values on it. i think they are all 333.
as on sticker

kingston kvr333x64c25/512
corsair vs512mb333

i pull out the ram, and got many values on it. i think they are all 333.
as on sticker

kingston kvr333x64c25/512
corsair vs512mb333

Err.. then u better manually set correctly in ur timings cos the current setting of 200mhz is definitely wrong.

Err.. then u better manually set correctly in ur timings cos the current setting of 200mhz is definitely wrong.

i set back to 166 just now after system hangs. now online again after reboot.

yes, i did, by having corsair in 1st and 3rd slot (green). then do the 2nd pair. by putting in the recommended mode of C, K, C, K or K, C, K, C either way (in the green, blue, green, blue slots), the system keep recognising 1GB only.

after doing the above BIOS amendments, i switch to K, K, C, C and try to see if it works, so far still trying (now on desktop, wait until failure).

there seems to be occasional difficulty in picking up power of usb devices, has that got anything to do with ram and mobo?

and although i change to manual for timing, i did not alter any of the values, wonder if it is al'rite to leave it that way?

You should be trying C C K K or K K C C (green, blue, green, blue). This is the configuration for dual channel.

Your power supply might also be the cause of your problem. What brand of power supply are you using?

You should be trying C C K K or K K C C (green, blue, green, blue). This is the configuration for dual channel.

Your power supply might also be the cause of your problem. What brand of power supply are you using?

icute ATX-420W P4
i have
1 DVD-RW,
1 CR-RW,
3 SATA HDD (1 raptor, 2 normal)
1 AGP graphic card (i think is 128MB)
1 creative soundcard

now running on K, K, C, C. quite fast but hangs occasionally...try for a few days and see how first.

icute ATX-420W P4
i have
1 DVD-RW,
1 CR-RW,
3 SATA HDD (1 raptor, 2 normal)
1 AGP graphic card (i think is 128MB)
1 creative soundcard

now running on K, K, C, C. quite fast but hangs occasionally...try for a few days and see how first.

Next time try C, C, K, K.

I think you need to replace your power supply with a better one.
I had the same power supply and cause me quite some problem especially my hard disk (2 x 160GB Seagate). Hard disk keep spinning up and down. Thinking the hard disk has problem, RMA both. Got back 2 reworked hard disk and problem still exist. After I replaced my icute power supply with a Antec Truepower 430W, everything work fine till now.

You configuration has 1 more hard disk than mine. Maybe you might want to consider replacing your power supply too.

I dont know if this helps.. but i had a similar problem once.. What happened was, my HDD had a bad sector and i found that out after testing it with another pc.. So i replaced my HDD, transfer most recoverable data from my old HDD to my new one and its working great again.. From your config, u have 3 HDD, you might wanna try switching one over to slave and boot from a new master HDD.. That is, if your slave has a OS installed in the first place (not very common).. If your HDD is brand new, i guess its a software problem.. i dont see anything wrong with your hardwares.. Hope this helps..

I dont know if this helps.. but i had a similar problem once.. What happened was, my HDD had a bad sector and i found that out after testing it with another pc.. So i replaced my HDD, transfer most recoverable data from my old HDD to my new one and its working great again.. From your config, u have 3 HDD, you might wanna try switching one over to slave and boot from a new master HDD.. That is, if your slave has a OS installed in the first place (not very common).. If your HDD is brand new, i guess its a software problem.. i dont see anything wrong with your hardwares.. Hope this helps..

mine is a 36GB 10k western digital raptor that is the primary OS HDD while the other one 320GB is a 7.2k western digital HDD that works as storage. i'm running out of space and backup space hence got the new 500GB 7.2k hitachi.

is there a way to check the integrity 36GB HDD through windows without changing it into a slave and having to reinstall everything?

mine is a 36GB 10k western digital raptor that is the primary OS HDD while the other one 320GB is a 7.2k western digital HDD that works as storage. i'm running out of space and backup space hence got the new 500GB 7.2k hitachi.

is there a way to check the integrity 36GB HDD through windows without changing it into a slave and having to reinstall everything?

:bigeyes: sure sound like you need a better quality power supply.

Try setting your memory to run at 333MHz, 3-3-3-8 at 2.6v.

If it's already at 3-3-3-8 then change it to 2.5-3-3-8. Up the voltage slightly to 2.6v. It might help.

Keep the Command Rate at 2T.

This shouldn't be a motherboard problem because the memory controller is on the CPU, not the chipset.

This shouldn't be a motherboard problem because the memory controller is on the CPU, not the chipset.

I think you are wrong. The memory controller is on one of the chipset on the motherboard. The chipset hold the northbridge and southbridge. Northbridge communicates with the computer processor and controls interaction with memory, the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) bus, Level 2 cache, and all Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) activities. Southbridge handles the input/output (I/O) functions of the chipset.

Try setting your memory to run at 333MHz, 3-3-3-8 at 2.6v.

If it's already at 3-3-3-8 then change it to 2.5-3-3-8. Up the voltage slightly to 2.6v. It might help.

Keep the Command Rate at 2T.

i can't find these set of numbers in bios. as for the voltage, whenever i wanted to choose a figure from 2.6 and onwards, the warning sign appears. in the end, i left it at auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.