wine thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
well..not the best of shots compared to the others here...but thought i'll just post this up anyway....used table lamps and all that in my bedroom

Img0037.jpg

Heartshape said:
Hah? :dunno:

y har? ... it's a form abstract art mah..

well...was part of a series i shot for this school project..don't think this particular pic is being used though...was quite an improvised shot...background was a black cardboard...used table lamps for lights and cloth as a "diffuser" and ribena for the "wine"...i shot it in my bedroom...wanted to see how it would turn out :) it's not fantastic that's for sure, but just want to share it all the same and hopefully get some opinions

On very close observation, I finally realized it is actually a close up of the top part of a wine glass.
First of all, the reflections at the top right is a major boo boo. It looks like you keft your room door open and the glass caught the reflection of things outside the room.
Bro, allow me to give you some pointers.
When shooting glass or any highly reflective object, the first thing to do is make sure you cover any bright or brightly coloured object in the studio/ room. The room should ideally be in total darkness so no stray reflections get caught on the glass, especially you, the photographer. Please close all doors and windows.
Traditionally, glasses are lit with a rectangular soft box on one side. This casts a long white reflection on one side of the glass, which I believe you will see in at least 90% of glass images. You can opt to do it this way. Sure pass but a little cliched and overdone.
Since most drinks are coloured, if you emphasise the colour, it will bring out the liquid and make the shot a lot more attractive. The way to do this is to light from behind but a little below the glass. This way, not only do you not see the light source, you also do not get reflections. Best to brancket +1 and +2. The result would be a nice coloured liquid in glass that has a little white glow along its edges. The more you overexpose the more airy the feel, which in some cases, look better.

thanks man :) first time trying it... that blue reflection is from the table lamp... hmm... will try again but don't think i could afford a soft box at the moment..any ideas of how i could improvise and get a result similar to what a soft box can achieve?

Status
Not open for further replies.