Windows 7

would laptops be generally more expensive after the launch date, if they come preloaded with win7? :sweatsm:

I know some of the laptop are able to upgrade from Vista to Window 7 if fall within a certain purchasing period.

Systems from manufacturers such as Acer, Lenovo etc will be able to get free upgrade to Windows 7 (Win 7 edition will be subjected to the Vista edition that came with the system).

would laptops be generally more expensive after the launch date, if they come preloaded with win7? :sweatsm:

Most likely not.

Yap, but the laptops must be purchased from a date onward which I can't recall. :)

Commonly between June 2009 to January 2010 (at least for Lenovo US). :)

im planning to get a laptop...should i wait till win7 is released, or before?

If you can, please wait for a couple more weeks, don't you think it would be better for Windows be pre-loaded rather than you wasting your time upgrading?

i think so too... hahaa...

by the way a little ot... how much is the lightroom software now? I dun seem to see it on sale in stores.

any recommendations for laptops? im actually looking at the nus laptops discussion review in hwz, not impressive :sweat:
(currently own an acer tm... very very much heat producing product...it shuts itself down without warning if overheated.)

Last edited:
any recommendations for laptops? im actually looking at the nus laptops discussion review in hwz, not impressive :sweat:
(currently own an acer tm... very very much heat producing product...it shuts itself down without warning if overheated.)
Lenovo Thinkpad gets my vote. What's your budget? ;)

im afraid not much... around 2k+.... something that is not so heat productive
i use my laptop mainly for surfing (flash intensive?), photo editing (photoshop), video editing
hardware move so fast, hard to keep track, most of the names now sound so foreign :bsmilie:

If they don't in Vista, as you mentioned, then very likely it won't work in W7 too. Wait for the W7 driver from the cam manufacturer. Because W7 is actually a "tidy up" version of Vista.

In that case, its hopeless since the camera is 10D , there is no driver for VISTA , so Canon is not going to do one for W7.
But thankfully it works in XP...

Much better than Vista but not XP....unless there is a good deal...I am staying put:sweat:

win7print.jpg

is this a screenshot from your XP ?
the only thing i like about VISTA is the calendar and clock on the right.
Wonder if there is some plugin for XP that does that??

im afraid not much... around 2k+.... something that is not so heat productive
i use my laptop mainly for surfing (flash intensive?), photo editing (photoshop), video editing
hardware move so fast, hard to keep track, most of the names now sound so foreign :bsmilie:

2k+ very good lao. from your requirement think most laptop suit your needs. but If you want to talk about performance .. why not consider Apple. At least the OS don't cost the much when upgrade. But if win is a must for you, wait till win7 is out.

As for spec ... almost all the same, since price is fix, next better find a laptop which service center is near to ur place or they provide pick up and return.

Dell is not bad actually, as their quality is getter better n got local tech support. HP/compaq is more of entertainment set, ASUS is Gamer laptop, Acer "best forget it" not good. Fuji expensive, toshiba so so .. haha

is this a screenshot from your XP ?
the only thing i like about VISTA is the calendar and clock on the right.
Wonder if there is some plugin for XP that does that??

that's Windows 7 with the 'Windows Classic' theme.

2k+ very good lao. from your requirement think most laptop suit your needs. but If you want to talk about performance .. why not consider Apple. At least the OS don't cost the much when upgrade. But if win is a must for you, wait till win7 is out.

As for spec ... almost all the same, since price is fix, next better find a laptop which service center is near to ur place or they provide pick up and return.

Dell is not bad actually, as their quality is getter better n got local tech support. HP/compaq is more of entertainment set, ASUS is Gamer laptop, Acer "best forget it" not good. Fuji expensive, toshiba so so .. haha

I am also getting a laptop with about 2k budget or even slightly more. I have more or less short listed to Dell, Lenovo and HP. My particular preference is those 14inch LCD that are matte screen, with 3:2 aspect ratio and a 8600 processor. The Lenovo Thinkpad seems to fit this spec pretty well. Just cannot understand why folks accept those glossy screens that have got so much nasty reflection everywhere in McD, your office or even your home. And those wide-wide screens from Acers are terrible for photos in portrait mode. Wide screens are only great for super-super cinemascope DVDs.

I wanna to wait a month or so to wait for them to pre-install Win7 first.

I was thinking there is no point in doing an upgrade from my 3year old notebook running on XP. Battery is already half dead, upgrade to Win7 cost more than 200bucks. And new machine means faster workflow, with at least 4GB ram and newer processor.

Since jumping from XP to Win 7 I've actually installed all my systems with Win 7. My main desktop runs on the 64bit version. All 32bit apps installs and runs perfect. The only 64bit app in my desktop is Eset NOD32 antivirus.

My mainboard doesn't support virtualization so the XP mode doesn't work but I've used VMware workstation and "reinstall" my XP from it.

Up until now all portable apps created using VMware Thinapps doesn't work on Win 7. So using a virtual pc with vmware is the only way. I had to add 4gb ram to my system to ensure no memory bottlenecks, so now running on 8gb ram.

My only concern is how much I need to cough out when this Win 7 RC trial ends, but kinda worth it so far, unlike Vista. Now thinking of the possibility of getting the ATI HD5870 card that supports eyefinity. Running 2 monitors one with Win 7 desktop and another on XP running via VMware on one PC. Hmmmmm, endless possibility, only my pocket suffers.

Last edited:
what's the diff between 64 bit and a 32 bit? :dunno:

i prefer matte screens too...my current one is 14" matte

64 bit can exceed the 4 GB ram memory limit that limits the 32bit OS.

On top of the RAM limitation, a 64 bit OS is more secure than 32 bit OS, it is much more difficult for hackers to mess with a 64bit OS on certain security aspect.

Last edited: