Will you swap your M9 / M9P / ME for the Sony FF compact?

Will you swap your M9 / M9P / ME for the Sony FF compact?

Results are only viewable after voting.

newghost

Staff member
Sep 17, 2009
With rumours swirling about the upcoming Sony FF compact, will you consider replacing the M9 / M9P / ME with the A7 / A7r?

If it even works with half the lenses I have, yeah...

I like focussing with a rangefinder!
Give it a few more years, and I suspect the rangefinder would be hopelessly inadequate in ensuring accurate focus on high resolution sensors. As it is, the rangefinder is showing it's age in the digital era.

If it even works with half the lenses I have, yeah...

With the right adapter, I'm sure you can! And you won't ever have to worry about all the issues plaguing the Kodak sensor... ...

I like focussing with a rangefinder!

There is nothing to replace Leica.

Granted, for the leica aficionados, surely it'll be a preference for the m240 / MM over the m9 in due course... but the Sony FF will likely out perform the M9 with all those M and legacy ltm lenses. And i'm not even mentioning high iso...

Of course, those with M240 already won't bat an eyelid, and that's also why I did not include M240 in the subject header :)

With the right adapter, I'm sure you can! And you won't ever have to worry about all the issues plaguing the Kodak sensor... ...

I'm more worried say with performance with those symmetric lenses with small rear elements... those barely perform well enough on the M9/M240 as it is...

I haven't had the chance to own any of the digital Ms before so if Sony's FF mirror less can:
- Use any M mount lenses
- Good image quality/dynamic range/rendition/performance/whatnot
- Not exorbitantly priced like Ms

I will choose Sony over the digital Ms anytime only because it is not justifiable to buy a digital M with all those "quirks" for the price that Leica charges. IMO.

Granted, for the leica aficionados, surely it'll be a preference for the m240 / MM over the m9 in due course... but the Sony FF will likely out perform the M9 with all those M and legacy ltm lenses. And i'm not even mentioning high iso...

Of course, those with M240 already won't bat an eyelid, and that's also why I did not include M240 in the subject header :)

For many years now many other electronic film and digital cameras have out-gunned Leica cameras ..... the brand is still going even stronger than before

We talking lifestyle choices here .... not technology

my only gripe is why other brands like Cosina or Contax are not coming out with new digital RFs or at least adaptor backs

In near term no , future maybe. For me when I decided to own the M9 knows very well there are a lot of cameras in the market that can out perform the m9 at many areas. Yet I still go for it because I love the true rangefinder experience with the same limitation as a film rangefinder more than the high iso and features.
From what I read from the web, the A7/r specs is impressive, but the design is towards a DSLR so for that I will not sell the M for the Sony.
On the other hand I might consider to swap my other asp-c interchangeable mirror less system with the Sony because it is FF but the price maybe the stumbling block though is cheaper than the M , it is very much similar to a pro nikon/canon dslr. Unless it performance matches it.

Noticeably, there's quite a few M9s turning up on BnS, and not just here locally, but on rff too...

Next question, do you think prices of m lenses will skyrocket through the roof? (again)

wow...just saw the specs of
the sony a7 and a7r....
full frame in a palm size.
very impressive.

i think i will stick to my slow,
low-tech film cameras for now.
I am having too much fun
enjoying the shooting experience
of film, rangefinders and old SLRs.

raytoei

What's the point having a small body if the lenses are so big? That's just vulgar.

Noticeably, there's quite a few M9s turning up on BnS, and not just here locally, but on rff too...

Next question, do you think prices of m lenses will skyrocket through the roof? (again)
Actually, no. I think there's been quite a drop in interest in m mount lenses over the last year. I think most people are heading the SLR lens direction.

Saw the specs too.

Strangely, the first thought in my mind was for a chrome M5 -- I've been resisting it for quite some time. :what:

wow...just saw the specs of
the sony a7 and a7r....
full frame in a palm size.
very impressive.

i think i will stick to my slow,
low-tech film cameras for now.
I am having too much fun
enjoying the shooting experience
of film, rangefinders and old SLRs.

raytoei

I'll gladly keep my m6, and get a FF sony, a fantastic combo!