Will you buy original or 3rd party battery?

What battery will you choose?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phottix batts can be bought from sellers from the Mass Sales section.

I got 2 original and 2 phottix.

Hi Ryan

Between Camera Devices and Phototix, which is a better choice?

I noticed that Photix is actually 1600amh, which Camera Device is 1800amh, and the price difference is 2x. Personally, I don't quite mind the price, what I need is reliability.

PM me if it's not convenient to share your opinion openly. I will appreciate your honest advice. Just want to make sure it works well with my 40D :)

I uses Phottix too, but aren't really sure its reliability as I haven't got the chance to exhaust it.

But for the price, of course, I'll get 3rd party ones.

Canon is getting smart nowadays. With the new battery that comes with 5D2 e.g., they put a chip inside the battery so the charger can tell whether it is original or not. Plus, the chip provides additional information such as shutter count since last charge, the % of power remains (in 1% increment) as well as how healthy is your battery.

I would say this does address one of the problem with Canon battery. i.e., the camera can't tell when the battery is running out and you don't get much advance warning before it complete gone. With the new battery, you are quite sure when you need to replace/recharge your battery...

such issues were solved a long time ago by Sony...just that either the companies had to develop their own, license from Sony or wait for 3rd party technology.

I always get a high grade 3rd party battery.cheap and can be abuse.For the original. I only recharge it when it's completely drain.

Had been using 3rd compatable batteries for many of my electrical devices from handphones to pdas & even notebooks and so far touch wood, no significant problems.

This has been since my new Nokia < 1 week old original battery which costs 3 X price that of 3rd party battery just stopped working on me when on a trip = no phone service!!

I had no choice but get 3rd party battery (I was overseas & no original batteries available anyway - as was told by resellers the 3rd battery batteries had higher specs) had longer storage - longer standby & talktime.

Nokia said sorry and replaced the battery of course - but the inconvenience and failure to function - even at that premium price.

Original battery is not necessary better.

Remember the Sony recall of original batteries for Dell, Sony & other laptops - and the spontaneous fires and explosions even for the original batteries.

Probably equipment replacement/repair damaged from original batteries might be possible from the manufacturers.

Anyway, Canon nor Sony nor most companies make do not make their own batteries - they are contracted to other dedicated battery manufacturers and the branded companies have to ensure standards are adhered to.

So the premium price you pay is for the enforcement of standards and as 'insurance' for equipment damage.

BTW: - Tried getting the Original Battery for 5D2 but no stock from Canon. That's service from the original company - out of stock for one of their items - & for a premium price!

No choice but get 3rd party battery recommended by my reseller - which comes with it's own charger and costs 1/3 price of the Canon battery with the charger included!

3rd party brand such as Phottix produces cheap and good batteries. ;)

i concur.
just bought a phottix battery and it's sure takes alot of shots on my 30D.

Juz bought a 3rd party battery, from shop opposite mustafa centre brand is ITTOU model
"BP514 5200MAH".... using 50D, was told that BP-511A out of stock, any bro hav any feedback on this battery.....
Pls advice.... b4 it cause any damage....:sweat:
Thks

so far, i have no prob using a 3rd party... i use phottix brand....

use them as back up.....

well, u get what u paid for.... since i am just a hobbyist so i think it is worth it

the one i got from CP for 450D seem to drain off faster... maybe i have not "run in" yet? .. i only used once as its a backup batt..

Juz bought a 3rd party battery, from shop opposite mustafa centre brand is ITTOU model
"BP514 5200MAH".... using 50D, was told that BP-511A out of stock, any bro hav any feedback on this battery.....
Pls advice.... b4 it cause any damage....:sweat:
Thks

Hmm that does not sound right at all, that 5200 mAh rating *must* be bogus.

The original Canon BP-511A is rated at 1100 mAh. I've seen 3rd party batteries claiming a rating of 1200 mAh, 1400 mAh, 1600 mAh and even 2000 mAh. And that sounds plausible, except maybe the one claiming 2000 mAh. But there is no way that anyone can packaged a 5200 mAh battery in the same physical sized enclosure as the BP-511A so this *has* to be a bogus rating. And when they lie about the capasity of a battery I would not trust that battery to be used in my camera. But hey, that's just me. :thumbsd:

The same logic applies to this as applies to most things in life: When something sounds too good to be true, that's probably exactly what it is! :)

my 3rd party works better than the original. i think it gives more output current (see on their booklet).

just be careful of choosing which 3rd party batt you will need to use.

Yeah. My advice is to choose the higher grade made in china one as recommended by some honest shop.

just wanna ask.3rd party battery like pottix gd 2 use?i alrd got 2 original canon battery.now wanna buy de battery grip n got offer wit de battery

i will not save the few dollars to "jeopardise" my thousand dollar equipment.

no flaming intention!

just wanna ask.3rd party battery like pottix gd 2 use?i alrd got 2 original canon battery.now wanna buy de battery grip n got offer wit de battery
Phottix is a good brand for 3rd party battery and other 3rd party camera accessories...

May i know can i use original and 3rd party battery in 5D MKII battery grip concurrently? Both are operating at different current.

Thank you.

If they work individually inside the camera, I see no reason why it will not work together inside the grip.

Bought one 3r party before at SimLim. Junk.
Threw away after trying to use it few times.
It either refuses to fully recharge or goes flat fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.