Will you buy original or 3rd party battery?

What battery will you choose?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyz77

Oct 16, 2008
Will you go for original or 3rd party battery? Will there be any issue if you mix orginal and 3rd party battery when using a battery grip?

If you're not a professional, go ahead and get third party batteries. I usually use the same 3rd party battery in grips, but other people have not had problems mixing.

Due note that some cameras such as the 5d mk2 batteries have a special chip that 3rd party batteries do not have. In such cases, you would need to purchase OEM.

i have used third party batteries (ATT branded) on my 40D any it last only 6 months until it cannot be recharge anymore and the original one still in good performance from the time that i bought the 40D until now... i suggest you better to buy the original one, the price it worth the performance either the long lasting age

3rd party brand such as Phottix produces cheap and good batteries. ;)

If you're not a professional, go ahead and get third party batteries. I usually use the same 3rd party battery in grips, but other people have not had problems mixing.

Due note that some cameras such as the 5d mk2 batteries have a special chip that 3rd party batteries do not have. In such cases, you would need to purchase OEM.

You mean the original, not OEM.

i have used third party batteries (ATT branded) on my 40D any it last only 6 months until it cannot be recharge anymore and the original one still in good performance from the time that i bought the 40D until now... i suggest you better to buy the original one, the price it worth the performance either the long lasting age

Same experience with higher capacity (claimed) 3rd party batts.
3rd party are 1/2 price or less but if they last 1/2 time or less then it's false economy.

I have been using Org battery along with 3rd party ones in my battery grip since I got my grip...... don't have any problem :thumbsup:

I have been using Org battery along with 3rd party ones in my battery grip since I got my grip...... don't have any problem :thumbsup:

it might be the original one that work so hard to keep the 3rd party reserve its place in the battery grip :D ... joke...

ya may be there is lucky factor to find the good 3rd party battery since i already have 2 bad luck attempts using the 3rd party battery

used third party batts...no problems so far. for their price, i can buy 3 3rd party batts for the price of one original batt...makes good sense this is. :)

i'm surprised there are more 3rd party battery users(so far)..
i thought most votes would go to the original:rolleyes:

I have three 3rd party batt costing about $25 each. Used them for about 4 months or so and their strength deteriorate to 1/3 the original Canon that I have.

I've decided that for my next camera I will still buy at least two 3rd party for back-up and at least 1 spare original.

i'm surprised there are more 3rd party battery users(so far)..
i thought most votes would go to the original:rolleyes:

Cheap mar, for my 40D, a 3rd party batt is 1/3 the price of a genuine one but like I mentioned, few months down the road, it deteriorates.

If 3rd party batt explode then your few thousand dollars camera will be finished. Original batt explode... at least u can go CSC & Cow Peh Cow Bull :sweatsm:

Last edited:
get a reputable 3rd party batt is fine.
anyway i charge batt w/o d cam.

have been using all types of 3rd party batts across all camera body types and brands from simple P&S to DSLR and never encountered a catastrophic failure so far.

generally orignals last longer but occassionally I get an excellent OEM that lasts as well, its not dependent on brand, but I chose only those with good distribution and branding just to be safe.

even those ebay phottix ones did well for me on my 40D.

Nowadays 3rd party batteries have higher quality than those available few years ago.

I use the original battery that comes with the camera as my main power source, and I keep spare batteries as backups for those 'emergency' moments.

No problems with my 3rd party batteries so far...

(For some people, buying 3rd party parts is akin to buying grey sets. They need the security and guarantee in the event that the 1 in 1,000 failure happens to them. For them, I would NOT recommend buying 3rd party batteries but go for the originals, simply for the peace of mind.)

i think 3rd party batt are ok, just buy those reputable ones. however there will be a risk of it exploding inside you cam! haha.

Hi all,

My 1000D gets an Error99 many times till I have to send it to CSC. The technician at CSC state that it is due to the malfunctioning power circuit board.

I cannot confirm that this is due to the third party battery that I'm using. But the Err99 occurs when I have 1 original LPE5 battery and a 3rd party battery used side by side in my battery grip. I got the 3rd party battery from CP.

Learning from this incident, I decided to save up for original batteries only.

Cheerz,

mahathir

Hi all,

My 1000D gets an Error99 many times till I have to send it to CSC. The technician at CSC state that it is due to the malfunctioning power circuit board.

I cannot confirm that this is due to the third party battery that I'm using. But the Err99 occurs when I have 1 original LPE5 battery and a 3rd party battery used side by side in my battery grip. I got the 3rd party battery from CP.

Learning from this incident, I decided to save up for original batteries only.

Cheerz,

mahathir

Chief, maybe your prob arose when u mixed the original and the 3rd-party.. I'm not too sure but could be a possibility..

get a reputable 3rd party batt is fine.
anyway i charge batt w/o d cam.

Agree.... I'm using the more $$$$ 3rd party batteries from EastGears..... :thumbsup:

Do remember..... you get what you paid. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.