Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

JohnZee

Oct 14, 2009
North Of This Sunny Island
i suppose most of us here should have caught wind of the new Sony NEX series, the camera that size of a compact camera but with a crop sensor.

i was just discussing it with my OC today, him being photo crazy as well but not wanting to lug something as big as a DSLR around.

His view is that, this technology will replace DSLRs in the near future, my view is that DSLR makers will probably adapt to the new technology, DSLRs with no mirror box?

What say you?:)

i suppose most of us here should have caught wind of the new Sony NEX series, the camera that size of a compact camera but with a crop sensor.

i was just discussing it with my OC today, him being photo crazy as well but not wanting to lug something as big as a DSLR around.

His view is that, this technology will replace DSLRs in the near future, my view is that DSLR makers will probably adapt to the new technology, DSLRs with no mirror box?

I don't think so lah. Think about cameras in the past. Compact cameras, rangefinders and slrs existed side by side although they all used 35mm film.

no, nothing beats a viewfinder when it comes to "immediate response"

and maybe the sony nex cameras will be a good replacement when you don't want to carry a dslr around, but i suspect their handling will be awkward in comparison to a full-fledged dslr.

and maybe the sony nex cameras will be a good replacement when you don't want to carry a dslr around, but i suspect their handling will be awkward in comparison to a full-fledged dslr.

and if you mount a flash on, you have to make do without the viewfinder, cause it's mounted onto the same hotshoe. the lenses are not the common mount too! it's gonna be it's own unique mount. hm...

Which sony has compact body and a crop sensor? Is it out yet?

Well IMO unless there's a technology that drastically reduces lens size (especially large aperture zooms), there's no point having a compact body with APS-C sensor since the lens size is still pretty huge :)

Besides, I still prefer optical viewfinder over electronic viewfinder anytime :D

yes i think so too. but i don't think it will be within these couple of years.

Well IMO unless there's a technology that drastically reduces lens size (especially large aperture zooms), there's no point having a compact body with APS-C sensor since the lens size is still pretty huge :)

well, the sony new cameras or any of the micro 4/3 with pancake lens, will be on par with a compact camera... just that you get a fixed focal length.

it's still a viable option though. :)

Hmmm

Not sure but if the IQ is good, I believe it may take away a sizable portion of the current entry DSLRs market.

I wun mind carrying it with a UWA as a 2nd cam to complement my DSLR with a tele zoom range. That way will avoid changing lens and miss less shots, some CSers carry 2 cams 1 wide + 1 tele. (Think Adrewine does)

But handling & ergonomics prob wud be the litmus test for success of this "new" segment.

Btw does it make a big difference using viewfinder ? Is it becos of faster response time to catch the "magic moment" ? or easier to compose ?

This had been a big issue for me. Been struggling with the viewfinder myself and not sure if it is becos I hv a left master eye ??? :dunno::dunno:

Btw does it make a big difference using viewfinder ? Is it becos of faster response time to catch the "magic moment" ? or easier to compose ?

This had been a big issue for me. Been struggling with the viewfinder myself and not sure if it is becos I hv a left master eye ??? :dunno::dunno:

well i haven't seen new age EVF

back when i was using prosumer in 07, there was a significant lag. add that to prosumer shutter lag...

any evf will not be as bright as an optical viewfinder, i dare say.

this EVIL camera will mean more dust sticking to the sensor, bcos the sensor got to be working whenever the e viewfinder is showing the scene... more power consumption...

and if the size is like a compact camera, handling will be bad...

and the fact that u r not looking thru a optical viewfinder means bad handling too.. bcos u r holding the camera with outstetched hand, not close to your face.. hence support is not really there...

A bit underwhelmed by the Sony offerings - was hoping for an EVF - any kind - optical would be better but unrealistic, image stabilization and a slightly fatter body to hold on to LOL. It looks kinda thin to hold but time will tell as I havnt touched this baby yet. Oly and Panasonic have got it almost right - size wise they just need to incoperate either an optical viewfinder or at least a built in electronic viewfinder with a rangefinder form factor.They both are close right now. And oh IS would be nice if it were in body - can use all those manual focus lenses at slower shutter speeds. Good first step I think but not a winner to bring the Oly and Panna crowd over.

well i haven't seen new age EVF

back when i was using prosumer in 07, there was a significant lag. add that to prosumer shutter lag...

any evf will not be as bright as an optical viewfinder, i dare say.

I see thxs !!

Optical veiwfinder available, but seems to be in replacement of the "hotshoe" for flash

FDASV1.png

"Designed for use with α NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras, this optical viewfinder provides more accurate framing and composition of your shots. "

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666192668

Optical veiwfinder available, but seems to be in replacement of the "hotshoe" for flash

FDASV1.png

"Designed for use with α NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras, this optical viewfinder provides more accurate framing and composition of your shots. "

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666192668

do note that the optical viewfinder will be likely to only work with a prime, in this case i'm wagering it's the 16? mm pancake.