Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

A bit underwhelmed by the Sony offerings - was hoping for an EVF - any kind - optical would be better but unrealistic, image stabilization and a slightly fatter body to hold on to LOL. It looks kinda thin to hold but time will tell as I havnt touched this baby yet. Oly and Panasonic have got it almost right - size wise they just need to incoperate either an optical viewfinder or at least a built in electronic viewfinder with a rangefinder form factor.They both are close right now. And oh IS would be nice if it were in body - can use all those manual focus lenses at slower shutter speeds. Good first step I think but not a winner to bring the Oly and Panna crowd over.

there IS an evf.

you have to purchase it separately though. :)

ah. too early to say. depends on the segment of the market you are talking about. i think the pros will still prefer swift response and depending on the EVF or the LCD just won't cut it. However for the mainstream market, this is ideal as it somewhat marries the pros of DSLRs with compact lightweight design and form.

For me, i'm still old school and give me a conventional camera with optical viewfinder. i may complain about the huge load but there's due satisfaction when i get great photos.

just shrink the size of DSLRs and i will reconsider.

The technology is not there yet.

1. EVF response time is slow
2. EVF resolution is still too low
3. EVF soaks up batt

On the NEX, as with all such small EVF cameras, it looks cool to be small, but to what purpose. Very often the lens are large and protrudes a significant portion from the camera. Its no more handy than and DSLR. You'd not 'throw it in the bag' either since its not cheap and you want to protect it from dirt and knocks. So a protective bag is needed, which again adds to the bulk and ends up to be very near a DSLR in size again.

IMO, it will appeal to the 'look cool' market for now. This is indeed a big market segment.

I do not think it will replace. I would hope that there would be newer designs for cameras for photography as technology progresses. certainly RF and SLR designs have their places, but the mirrorless designs will have a big following as well.

IMO, it will appeal to the 'look cool' market for now. This is indeed a big market segment.

I doubt it is just "look cool". For one i would appreciate if my dslr can be reduced even further. But of course use the right equipment for the right stuff, and the mirrorless design is still much in infancy.

but yes it is an emerging market segment. i am sure the big boys will be looking to jump onto the wagon, blue ocean.

ryan

I got a feeling Sony will receieve lots of complain on the lens mount breakage. Most compact comsumer will only hold on to the body and not the lens. using heavy and long lens say 18-200mm will pose heavy stress to the mount.

But I will say it a good 2nd camera to accompany my dslr. I can give it to my sister to use or use if for events where dslr is not permitted e.g. concert.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to carry the SONY NX with a big lens like 70-200mm VR (if there is one). It's so unbalance.

It's very comfortable if you put the lens on your palm like the Sony DSC F Series.

DSC01093Small.jpg

Last edited:
I got a feeling Sony will receieve lots of complain on the lens mount breakage. Most compact comsumer will only hold on to the body and not the lens. using heavy and long lens say 18-200mm will pose heavy stress to the mount.

But I will say it a good 2nd camera to accompany my dslr. I can give it to my sister to use or use if for events where dslr is not permitted e.g. concert.

Not likely that the "compact consumer" will have those large lenses - then they'll not be "compact consumer".

Also if the lens is HUGE and heavy, then common sense will ensure that the photographer holds onto the lens, too.

Not likely that the "compact consumer" will have those large lenses - then they'll not be "compact consumer".

Also if the lens is HUGE and heavy, then common sense will ensure that the photographer holds onto the lens, too.

I ask someone else to take group for me using my 500d with batt grip and 18-200mm, and they use their both hands to hold my 500d body :sweatsm: So not all consumer may not share the same common sense :bsmilie:

"compact camera consumer" will have those large lenses if they want long zoom range. you will be surprise there are all kind of strange people in the world ;)

The body is made of Magnesium alloy. This material is strong enough to be used to build buildings, bridges, automobiles, and airplanes.

Btw does it make a big difference using viewfinder ? Is it becos of faster response time to catch the "magic moment" ? or easier to compose ?

This had been a big issue for me. Been struggling with the viewfinder myself and not sure if it is becos I hv a left master eye ??? :dunno::dunno:

i have a left master eye too, but no issue. i use viewfinder coz what u see is what u get, drain less battery too.

i suppose most of us here should have caught wind of the new Sony NEX series, the camera that size of a compact camera but with a crop sensor.

what's new abt it? different from m4/3?

what's new abt it? different from m4/3?

One step behind m4/3.

Mirror-less APS-C sized sensor body with new E mount compare with m4/3 with mirror-less Four Third sensor body with new m4/3 mount.

I ask someone else to take group for me using my 500d with batt grip and 18-200mm, and they use their both hands to hold my 500d body :sweatsm: So not all consumer may not share the same common sense :bsmilie:

"compact camera consumer" will have those large lenses if they want long zoom range. you will be surprise there are all kind of strange people in the world ;)

Obama did the same.

Well, I believe the professional photographers will still use the big (literally) DSLR cameras. The feel is simply different no matter how good the design is.

if the viewfinder of a smaller camera is as big and bright as a SLR with no parallex error, i can use a smaller body with a pancake lens. right now, this is not available.

if the viewfinder of a smaller camera is as big and bright as a SLR with no parallex error, i can use a smaller body with a pancake lens. right now, this is not available.

I have personally tried the Panasonic M43 and Olympus Pen which I thought were rather flimsy. Haha.