WIFI SD card

Im using Flashair sd card, for my iphone I use Olympus Image Share app for which is also usable for ipad, it can batch download, view and special thing is can apply Art filters on the photos from Camera to iphone/ipad.

Thanks Richardy for an in depth explanation.

That part about having to go through the Internet at some point, is that a limitation of your phone?

I'm looking at getting one too.

We will probably be shooting in a room/ hall around 10 x 10m. We'll plant a tablet/ laptop/ PC in a central area for wireless uploads. No need to be instant - hence not really tethered.

Just need to be reasonably quick (a minute or 2 for a 10MP jpeg) and 'secure' - we won't be reviewing immediately, just want to make sure they get uploaded automatically.

Will be either an iOS tablet or a windows laptop/desktop.

Anyone with first-hand experience with toshiba or eye-fi?

10m x 10m shouldn't be a major issue. Of course the greater the distance between camera and PC/tablet, the slower the transfer is gonna be.
Setting up the card is actually fairly straightforward with the Eye-Fi utility. For iOS devices, upon downloading the Eye-Fi app and setting it up, you would have to download and change some profile on your device (can't remember the exact sequence as I did it some time ago). However it's fairly ok and not much hair-pulling involved. There are guides on the eye-fi website, and some youtube videos on this as well.

Transfer speed: when ipad and camera were about 1m apart, a 3MB JPG took about 6s to transfer (about 1min for 10-12 images). Once the connection is established, it would be a good idea not to switch off and on the camera repeatedly, as that can mess up the connection.
Battery consumption will also be quicker. I estimate about 20% shorter battery life.

No .. I do not want to use 3G/4G for transfers .. and I do not want to wait until I get home to have the photos transferred to my desktop (I travel very frequently .. so my pictures get to my desktop before I reach home as long as I have WiFi connection in the hotel)

Thanks Richardy for an in depth explanation.

That part about having to go through the Internet at some point, is that a limitation of your phone?