why the need for list of equipment they own on some members signature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Ian
Everyone has a right to be proud of their kit, listing it as a signature (tag) seems to me to be the behaviour suitable for a primary school kid showing off his toys to his mates .. You know the "Mine's bigger and flashier than yours" type wankery, which is the sort of behavour real men (and women) grow out of when they hit puberty.

:rbounce:

Well said Ian!

Regards
CK

Originally posted by hongsien
was wondering why some members put a list of what they own and use as signature at the end of their posting? Even up to filters!
Penis envy.

nxt time i list my webcam......:)

Originally posted by Ian
Everyone has a right to be proud of their kit, listing it as a signature (tag) seems to me to be the behaviour suitable for a primary school kid showing off his toys to his mates .. You know the "Mine's bigger and flashier than yours" type wankery, which is the sort of behavour real men (and women) grow out of when they hit puberty.

1 needle, see blood! :devil:

Originally posted by EiRiK
any1 who owns a cheap point-and-shoot put it up as signature?
pai sey right?:rbounce:
wah that's an idea... :devil: ;)

mabbe i should change my signature to...

------------------------------
my equipment list -
1 discontinued Yashica T4
2 gaffered-up Holga toy cams

Originally posted by Larry
mabbe i should change my signature to...

:devil: maybe I should list all of my kit ... it won't take more than 7 or 8 pages hehe :devil:

Originally posted by Ian
:devil: maybe I should list all of my kit ... it won't take more than 7 or 8 pages hehe :devil:

Yucks, everyone pls turn off signature when viewing posts! :D

Personally, the listing of equipment as signature helps potential buyers of a certain equipment, in terms of seeking 2nd opinions.

Not so much so on the "equipment envy" or the "see what I have and you dun" kind, but on the constructive basis that these people can at least offer ground advice on the pros and cons of the equipment they have when quipped by potential buyers.

Actually, that's how I got my Sigma Fisheye after seeing it appear on Neko's (used to) signature.

IMHO :D

Originally posted by SniperD
Personally, the listing of equipment as signature helps potential buyers of a certain equipment, in terms of seeking 2nd opinions.

:D

I've lived in a HDB flat and taken public transport for most of my life. So next time anyone wants to buy a 3-room HDB flat in Singapore or take a bus, u know who to ask for the best advice. Oh oh, and I also own the following:

2 sponge filled pillows (as opposed to down)
1 sponge filled bolster
a sea horse mattress
a samsung refrigerator
a sony tv
.......... (10 pages long, i think)

should I add into my sig? errrr, then again, wrong forum..... maybe I'll put that list beneath my name card or IC......

:D

Originally posted by Ian

Agree. But some people never seem to outgrow it ("my car is bigger/flashier/runs louder than yours" to "my house is better decorated/more expensive/etc than yours", etc).

That said, the irony is that wankers start during puberty ;) , they only become buggers later on :eek: :devil: . Ian will know what I mean :D

Originally posted by Pain
Si Beh Hao Lian

More like Si Beh Bo Liao, create 1 new account just to spend some time to create a signature. :p

Originally posted by togu
More like Si Beh Bo Liao, create 1 new account just to spend some time to create a signature. :p

:bsmilie:

Originally posted by SniperD

Not so much so on the "equipment envy" or the "see what I have and you dun" kind, but on the constructive basis that these people can at least offer ground advice on the pros and cons of the equipment they have when quipped by potential buyers.

Actually, that's how I got my Sigma Fisheye after seeing it appear on Neko's (used to) signature.

Well said. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I suppose there are two main reasons Y people would want to put their gear in their sig: One is to show-off his expensive gear, the other reason is to genuinely tell people wat kind of gear he uses for his photography, so as to give us a better understanding of his background, & NOT his abilities as a photographer. So perhaps we should not be so quick to condemn someone for listing his gear down.

I'm still using a P&S cam, hoping to upgrade to a DSLR really soon. I don't find it offensive that some people decide to 'signaturise' their gear. Watever decision, to list or not, just let it be lor...

Shall I be the first to list my P&S cam in my signature? Hehheh...:bsmilie:

Honestly speaking, I used to list my F70 along with 3 of the cheapest lens I can afford, all Tokina low range lenses out of which, 2 costs less than $200, the other costs ard $500.

It's a old camera, nothing to show off compare to the others like D30, D100, F100, etc that some owns here, neither are the lens of real good quality compared to many others.

It's simply to let people know what gear I used to take the pictures. There are many instances that people ask me if I used a wide angle lens, any filters when they see certain photos, I supposed this helps.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinions, but I don't think sweeping statements like many of the above do everyone justice here.

:)

This is a good thread and people should comment more about it. In fact, I was wondering what those of you out there who has visited the luminous landscape website.

If you haven't, this is the link:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

Michael Reichman, the author of the site is a Canon user. I find that he does boasts quite a bit of his equipment when he does review them. Some might not see this as most of the reviews are quite technical in nature, but the style in his writing does show off how proud he is of his equipment.

Any comments?

Nope, don't like Luminous Landscape. Not worth my time, and there's this sense that I've stepped into the "Wankery Zone" everytime I read the articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.