why isn't there an affordable digital rangefinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dun give us the crap about what "the camera is not impt, it's the man behind the camera that is impt" kind of logic. These are the words of guy who

1. either dun not have the $$ to get a better camera
2. someone who wants some diginity after spending 5K on a 5D today and canon start selling the 5D2 at 3.8K tml.
3. who copy this statement from someone

photography is not only about the image u capture, but also the process of capturing the image and the type of camera u use is part of the process. I want a small rangefinder but do not want to spend 10K on a M9 and another 5K on a summulux. Neither do i want to spend 2K on a M7 and spend another fortune developing film.

What i want is the rangefinder experience at an affordable price.. Give me a 1K+ range finder body and i can pair it with an affordable nokton lens.

I guess its actually depends on the individual. Some personally do not care about the process, all they are seeking for is the end results, the perfect moment. But others, like me in particular, do take into account the process of capturing what I see. Its largely intangible, I also cant describe the feeling lol :dunno: But all I know is, its :heart::thumbsup:

yawns...to quote from hardwarezone.
COOL STORY BRO!

from same link:

Featured Comment by Voltz: "It wasn't a rumour; I tested an alpha prototype. I hadn't heard that it was Leica that killed it, only that development had been stopped. I blamed the global financial crisis."

heh, who knows if it's true or not

from same link:

Featured Comment by Voltz: "It wasn't a rumour; I tested an alpha prototype. I hadn't heard that it was Leica that killed it, only that development had been stopped. I blamed the global financial crisis."

heh, who knows if it's true or not

okay..let me put it another way
u got notice the link ? got a **ril-fool.htm at the back?

not true wor.
There is something very different about composing thru a optical viewfinder and composing on a LCD screen.
Furthermore, all this m43 lens really lack something...good fast wide primes. We only have a 20mm F1.7

If the m43 community comes up with a whole wide range of nice fast primes for the 35mm, 50mm , 28mm equivalents @ F1.4 AND having a nice EVF built into the camera body ( instead of having a monstrous EVF on top where the flash is suppose to be), then i think we do have an alternative to the rangefinder..

and a fullframe sensor is not that expensive anymore. It's not back in 2005 where 5D cost 5K and iDs2 cost 12K. A 5D2 cost 3.1K now and has more megapixels. The technology to produce cheap 12 mp fullframe is there.

I really hope those small indie producers like yashica, ricoh or even vogtinglander decide to do something to rock the market. Imagine yashica comming up with a 1K rangefinder body...I don't need fancy AF, FPS or 21mp.

And partly, leica is leica becuase it's expensive. You do not really need to sell a summilux at 5K when the nokton equivalent is ~$800? True that the leica has better distortion control and all

You should read my post again. I did not say they are the same. I just said they are similar in TWO aspects:

1. smaller form factor
2. smaller interchangeable lenses

And I said for the general consumer, these 2 factors are more important. For RF lovers and fanatics, I agree that the entire feeling is different. But in the end, these companies are more interested to make products that can sell well, and that means products tailored to the tastes of the general public (PnS users).

And you can still use the old fast primes on m4/3, with adapters.

As for FF sensors. even if we are not talking 5k. I think it is all about target segment. Companies are very careful not to "confuse the market". It might backfire by cannibalizing their own market in FF DSLRs. I mean, the techies inside us would love that, but marketing wise, it might be a very unwise thing to do.

Last edited:
okay..let me put it another way
u got notice the link ? got a **ril-fool.htm at the back?

of course i did lah. the april fool part refers to this:

"Well, Jeff Ascough has come clean that his elaborate (and very popular) rumor about testing a new rangefinder was an April 1 hoax, as many suspected. (Hey, saves me having to concoct my own April Fool's joke.)"

i think the main reason is that leica along with the other rf companies are aiming to produce really niche products.

I thought they failed to see the digital age coming, and that SLRs were taking over RF many years back.

dun give us the crap about what "the camera is not impt, it's the man behind the camera that is impt" kind of logic. These are the words of guy who

2. someone who wants some diginity after spending 5K on a 5D today and canon start selling the 5D2 at 3.8K tml.

photography is not only about the image u capture, but also the process of capturing the image and the type of camera u use is part of the process. I want a small rangefinder but do not want to spend 10K on a M9 and another 5K on a summulux. Neither do i want to spend 2K on a M7 and spend another fortune developing film.

What i want is the rangefinder experience at an affordable price.. Give me a 1K+ range finder body and i can pair it with an affordable nokton lens.
buy a fixed lens film rangefinder. :sweat:

I thought they failed to see the digital age coming, and that SLRs were taking over RF many years back.

i don't know about the first part, but for the second; why? i mean, yeah, they're different, but there has to be a reason, right? :dunno:

Actually, it might be a good idea. You should start a company to do just that, make $1k RF bodies. Maybe you will be the next Singapore success story.

Actually, it might be a good idea. You should start a company to do just that, make $1k RF bodies. Maybe you will be the next Singapore success story.

trouble nowadays is camera maker must pass the dpreview test (or similar peer review forum) in order to attract consumer.

if u start new company, make sure must pull string in dpreview write nice story hor

be a little patient lah....... affordable DSLR just happened last year ......... and 5dII prices also recently just started to drop

there will be a affordable d-rf soon enough............. i bet that Cosina/Voigtlander will be there

i'll be waiting for a cheaper DRF.:sweat:

be a little patient lah....... affordable DSLR just happened last year ......... and 5dII prices also recently just started to drop

there will be a affordable d-rf soon enough............. i bet that Cosina/Voigtlander will be there

I'll give it 5 years for it to come along?

Anyway, way before Cosina, Konica was rumored to have already done the D-RF but plans got shelved with Sony came in. Am I right? Cant remember the exact details.

Actually I do agree that the camera is not important.. It truly is the person behind it.

I just came back from Brighton today after a month, shot some with just an Iphone & they didnt look too bad at all. The camera is just a tool for recording images really, any camera can do that but it is still the person who pushes the shutter at the right moment.

Personally, I don't think a digital RF from any other manufacturers in the short term is going to come out soon. Not that the technology is not there yet, it's simply because it's not possible to make economical sense to sell it at what Leica is selling less today to keep the payroll of the staff of the company going.

I won't want to go into details why and how Epson did RD1, the rest is history. The fact that why RangeFinder camera is different from other manufacturers is because of the focusing mechanism. It's simply mechanical. Needs calibration when it goes offline. Cannot withstand knocks, even the lightest bang. The fact that even Fuji, who used to be a major Medium Format Range Finder player in the market need to partner with Cosina to make the 667 is because it no longer make sense for them to revive the mechanical manufacturer process in their company to come out a camera that sells less than 2000 pieces.

Cosina is able to do it economically because the company is small, has a history of turning around a product at very short period of time, major OEM facility for mechanical cameras for around fifity years, major supplier of projector lenses to most LCD projectors, OEM manufacturer for Zeiss Optics (ZF, ZM, ZE, ZS and Zeiss Ikon bodies) and they do not need to money from selling Voigtlander lenses to keep the payroll going....

For them to come up with a Digital RF is not impossible. If you have visited their factory, you would know that they can't do it alone. In a small town in Nagano, they do not have the facility to do it alone. They probably need to partner with someone who are already in the digital imaging market to make it happen. Whether they are doing it now, I do not know. But they have done it with Epson before, providing the body, shutter and RF mechanism for focusing.

I won't hope or wish for a new Digital RF body to be affordable, but once the M8 or M9 becomes affordable to me, I might buy one to use. Right now, I see no reason why using any negative or slides cannot produce 60 mega-pixel images with V700 scanners that cost 1/50 the price of the top end digital backs.

Actually I do agree that the camera is not important.. It truly is the person behind it.

I just came back from Brighton today after a month, shot some with just an Iphone & they didnt look too bad at all. The camera is just a tool for recording images really, any camera can do that but it is still the person who pushes the shutter at the right moment.

Yup! iPhone, to me is the BEST DIGITAL CAMERA IN THE WORLD!

Those who says it's crappy simply do not know how to exploit it's fullest potential.

Excellent white balance, good dynamic range, easy to use, portable, decent VGA video recording... and it's almost free with any top end phone plan!

I won't want to go into details why and how Epson did RD1, the rest is history.

Just want to know more details, was voigtlander actually fighting with epson on trying to pen their brand name onto the R-D1 but they lost as ultimately the sensor portion which is the heart of the cam was provided by epson. My 2 cents.

I skipped some parts of the conversation here but,

has no one mentioned that m4/3 has a more suitable sensor size for the image circle of cine-lenses?

Even APS-C lenses yield a megapixel count a little low for comfort on the 5dmk2, after cropping. Depending on what you want them for too.

chiif

Did Rd1 make money for Epson and for how much?

That would probably contribute part of the reasons why they have stopped producing/enhancing a fine camera.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.