why isn't there an affordable digital rangefinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I do agree that the camera is not important.. It truly is the person behind it.

I just came back from Brighton today after a month, shot some with just an Iphone & they didnt look too bad at all. The camera is just a tool for recording images really, any camera can do that but it is still the person who pushes the shutter at the right moment.

really? try doing a concert or a safari shot with that? if the images is just for a record, perhaps any camera will do. if certain features or aesthetic vision are expected out of these images, suitable camera gear/accessories and suitable (human/equipment) approaches will have to be adapted accordingly. a human being without gear afterall has certain limitations as much as the gear itself has - u can either add a suitable flash for the desired effect, or wait with the model till the sun goes to the right place for your model and background.

and it is not all about the eventual effects or the image. some ppl wants to have certain accessories to aid in the process and to make it easier. if someone's eyesight is not as good, should he try to get a camera with a brighter and larger viewfinder, or should he try to improve his eyesight (and how?). certain things about human beings are bottlenecks, which u may not have faced, but other ppl does, and saying only the photographer matters would not help him, trying to look into what is the bottleneck and what solutions are there on method, approach, gear, and choice of subjects are such a big spectrum. so it wouldn't be just a single thing that is impt.

really? try doing a concert or a safari shot with that? if the images is just for a record, perhaps any camera will do. if certain features or aesthetic vision are expected out of these images, suitable camera gear/accessories and suitable (human/equipment) approaches will have to be adapted accordingly. a human being without gear afterall has certain limitations as much as the gear itself has - u can either add a suitable flash for the desired effect, or wait with the model till the sun goes to the right place for your model and background.

and it is not all about the eventual effects or the image. some ppl wants to have certain accessories to aid in the process and to make it easier. if someone's eyesight is not as good, should he try to get a camera with a brighter and larger viewfinder, or should he try to improve his eyesight (and how?). certain things about human beings are bottlenecks, which u may not have faced, but other ppl does, and saying only the photographer matters would not help him, trying to look into what is the bottleneck and what solutions are there on method, approach, gear, and choice of subjects are such a big spectrum. so it wouldn't be just a single thing that is impt.

Erm, well, I think of course no one in their right sense of mind would use the Iphone for concert & safari? :dunno: Not sure where you get them from....

What I am saying is that, the camera is just a mere tool, be it a Iphone, a P&S, RF, DSLR, they are all just mere recording tools that still requires a operatoor with certain "skills" to handle them.

Its like having "Joe Smith" in an F1 car trying to drive it around. Not going to work init?

Erm, well, I think of course no one in their right sense of mind would use the Iphone for concert & safari? :dunno: Not sure where you get them from....

tot u say camera is just a tool. so as long as the man behind the camera is good. give him an iphone anything also can shoot? :bsmilie:

i guess u had to take back your words.

man behind the camera is important, the tool u use in this case, camera is important too.

i give u a pns (slightly better then iphone), u also cannot shoot well in concert & safari

i give u an entry level DSLR (much better then pns), u can get comforting results in concert & safari (noise levels and stuffs like dat still within control level and acceptable)

i give u a pro level DSLR + good lenses (alot better then entry level DSLR), even a newbie like myself can gives u quality images (very good noise control and stuffs like that) minus the poor composition of cos compared to a pro photographer.

so man behind the camera is not only important, what tools u use in the right place and time is equally important, isn't it? I guess thats what zoossh is trying to bring across.

------

although somehow true, some pros (ppl can start give me names of these ppl and examples of the lower entry level equipments) can shoot well even with basic stuff but then again, how u ever wonder, if u pass this ppl better equipments, they may surpass their current level and go up to the next level?

if all equipments is the same why does Canon, Nikon etc comes up with so many models of cameras? Why not just build one and stick to it. Why build one lens of different variant (eg Canon 35mm f2, Canon 35mm f1.4 L)? There is a reason behind everything.

Last edited:
guys, we all know that the best camera in the world is the one that you have on hand to capture that precious / winning moment... and yes, use the right tool for the job... we all aspire to become photographers, rather than just a (wo)man behind a camera...

back to the topic, and in summary as to "why isn't there an affordable digital rangefinder?" - 2h prices will come (eventually)... not sure of the viability of the development of a "cheap" DRF because of market size... in there meantime, some alternatives (not necessarily substitutes) would be film RF or m43 (or similar).

closing the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.