Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On other end of the spectrum - so are the haters.

My point is that a computer is just a tool that you would have to be evaluated according to your needs. And since we all have varying needs, it's just reasonable to expect that each of us will choose our own technology.

In your case, what IF your school started out with the Maya on Macs from the start. Now, after a few months/years learning on Macs, your school suddenly switched to Windows. I think you can still expect students to complain about the same thing. My point is that change is not always easy. Most of the times, change is even hard that people often not look at anything else except the ones that they already know. And it does not matter whether you are switching from Windows to Macs or Macs to Windows. I've even read a lot of anecdotes about Unix users hating Windows or Macs stating that it's hard to use.
I certainly 'bootup' my own computer! So does millions of DIYers PC users! Btw, I used to own a Mac Centris that was more than 10yrs ago.

NS rule #1. Do but don't get caught. :devil: :devil: :devil:
Nxke no. 1 rule: Don't Do It!(PS, and you won't get caught!) :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Using the Thread topic as a cue....
Why do women pay 800 bucks plus for a designer label handbag that was made in china and finished in Italy.... because it's the brand name that counts.

So you pay squillions for the name, not the contents .. ooh sounds just like the golden arches :devil:

If it makes them happy to carry an LV or Gucci... why not? ;)

Using the Thread topic as a cue....
Why do women pay 800 bucks plus for a designer label handbag that was made in china and finished in Italy.... because it's the brand name that counts.

So you pay squillions for the name, not the contents .. ooh sounds just like the golden arches :devil:

Yeah, let's stick to the thread.

Magsafe. When someone trips on my power cord, it doesn't take my machine with me. Happened to me quite a few times already.

7 hrs battery life. I got a couple of macbooks here that gets 6 to 8 hrs depending on what you do. Watched DVDs and still has enough batt life to spare.

Very nice build. This is a photography website. A lot of people here understand the value of a nice build. Some laptops, especially netbooks, feels like a kit lens. Sure it works as advertised but it feels cheap and clunky compared to expensive lenses. MacBook Pros are not the kit lenses of the computer field.

Very bright display.

Backlit keyboard. Comfortable keyboards too.

Wake up from sleep that really works. Fast boot and shutdown times.

Little things like built-in dictionary, you can invert the color of your display in just one hotkey (useful for reading in a dark room), there is also a shortcut for zooming in the display, built-in text to speech - just right-click on text and pick the menu.

Multitouch trackpad. Biggest trackpad on a laptop. You can use two finger scrolling. You can even right-click on this button less trackpad.

That's all that I can think of right now. I'm pretty sure no PC laptop has a Magsafe power connector. That 7 hrs battery life is in the realm of netbooks and not full-blown PC laptops. That wake up from sleep - touch luck when you are in XP or Vista. I guess it's now working properly in Windows 7.

here the balancing out of opinion begins:

Magsafe. When someone trips on my power cord, it doesn't take my machine with me. Happened to me quite a few times already.

http://www.appledefects.com/?cat=33

"An anonymous email tipster sent us this link to some flickr pictures showing another MagSafe adapter melting down."

magsafemeltings.jpg

it's even on wiki!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

7 hrs battery life. I got a couple of macbooks here that gets 6 to 8 hrs depending on what you do. Watched DVDs and still has enough batt life to spare.
let's see, i know someone's macbook pro who has a pathetic 2 hour battery life.......
Multitouch trackpad. Biggest trackpad on a laptop. You can use two finger scrolling. You can even right-click on this button less trackpad.

That's all that I can think of right now. I'm pretty sure no PC laptop has a Magsafe power connector. That 7 hrs battery life is in the realm of netbooks and not full-blown PC laptops. That wake up from sleep - touch luck when you are in XP or Vista. I guess it's now working properly in Windows 7.
oh yeah, absolutely a joy to work with when photoshopping. with a trackpad. time for me to throw my mouse away; time for all the people with tablets to burn theirs. the trackpad is here, long live the trackpad.

wrong. 7 hour battery life is doable for many ultraportables. sony vaio laptops had 7.5 hours battery life claimed in 2007:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-tz150n-black/4507-3121_7-32518039.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

Sorry but that doesn't impress me when I need my laptop to do more than one thing at a time... like playing music in the background while I work. I'm sure I can conserve my three year old laptop to run at least 6 hrs too if I single tasked at it and don't make my apps (err... I mean app) run at full speed.

I guess you'd probably be impressed by the single-tasking iPad too?

Last edited:
Sorry but that doesn't impress me when I need my laptop to do more than one thing at a time... like playing music in the background while I work. I'm sure I can conserve my three year old laptop to run at least 6 hrs too if I single tasked at it and don't make my apps (err... I mean app) run at full speed.

I guess you'd probably be impressed by the single-tasking iPad too?

The example that I said is playing DVD because that is the most common thing that most people use their computers for and is also the easiest way of quickly consuming your battery life. I have no problem getting 7 hrs while programming, playing music, with a few tabs on the browser, twitter, yahoo messenger - all at the same time. For playing music and internet with flash (these things peg the CPU to 80% to 100%) - you can stretch it to 8 or 9 hrs.

Playing music in the background doesn't really kill the battery life. What kills it is the 'work' part. What work are you doing, what laptop are you using and how long is the battery life? And what about the other things - display size and quality, build quality, and price? Let's compare that to the 13" aluminium macbook pro. A three year old laptop probably won't have a SD card slot nor a Firewire 800?

For playing music and internet with flash (these things peg the CPU to 80% to 100%) - you can stretch it to 8 or 9 hrs.
?

wow, that's beyond apple's claimed battery life for macbook pro

走火入魔

中毒极深

回头是岸:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

here the balancing out of opinion begins:

http://www.appledefects.com/?cat=33

"An anonymous email tipster sent us this link to some flickr pictures showing another MagSafe adapter melting down."

let's see, i know someone's macbook pro who has a pathetic 2 hour battery life.......

oh yeah, absolutely a joy to work with when photoshopping. with a trackpad. time for me to throw my mouse away; time for all the people with tablets to burn theirs. the trackpad is here, long live the trackpad.

wrong. 7 hour battery life is doable for many ultraportables. sony vaio laptops had 7.5 hours battery life claimed in 2007:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-tz150n-black/4507-3121_7-32518039.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

magsafe -- I haven't yet seen report of defects on the latest line of MacBook Pros.

2 hr battery life -- that's also the older model. The latest model is marketed for 7 hrs

7 hrs doable in ultraportables - I went to the Sony vaio ultraportable link that you mentioned. Do you have the latest model? You can't even buy this one. :) It would be unfair to compare this to a 13" MacBook Pro for example. 2ghz vs. 1Ghz, 4GB max ram on the macbook vs. 2GB max ram on the sony. 13" screen vs. 11" screen. etc. Btw, 7.5 is the estimated batt life on the Sony. Were you able to get that regularly?

Photoshopping with a trackpad - what do you mean? Does this mean "if you are using photoshop, don't buy a laptop of any brand because all it has is a trackpad". All I am saying is that the MacBook trackpads are very good because of it's size and it's multi-touch ability. Is there another laptop that has a bigger trackpad with multi-touch?

Let's be more specific. Let's say for a 13" MacBook Pro at 1988 SGD. What brand and model of laptops (I'm sure there are a few out there) should I buy now because it has better specs, build quality, and as a kicker, it is even N-hundred SGD cheaper?

Yeah, let's stick to the thread.

Very nice build. This is a photography website. A lot of people here understand the value of a nice build. Some laptops, especially netbooks, feels like a kit lens. Sure it works as advertised but it feels cheap and clunky compared to expensive lenses. MacBook Pros are not the kit lenses of the computer field.

Wake up from sleep that really works. Fast boot and shutdown times.

Oh dear where do I start (loads up very large gun with big ammo...).... here we go

6.5 hrs battery life from my old Toshiba M15-S405 notebook (Centrino Processor) that I purchased back in 2003. 10hrs plus with the second battery installed.

Wake up has always worked flawlessley on the M15, never missed a beat in 7 years.

I'll guarantee the build quality is superior to the Mac. This notebook has been thrashed around the world and been in to environments you could only dream of going to. It's never broken down and has only had 1 reinstall of the O/S and that was after I upgraded the HDD a couple of years back. It's processed in excess of 900,000 images too which is a serious bit of HDD thrashing.

Its on it's 5th set of batteries and is still in daily use, though now it's just a backup notebook.

Oh it's a full blown notebook, large, heavy with a 15" screen. No Magsafe powercord to screw up either, just a simple external power adaptor / battery charger.

Next.....

wow, that's beyond apple's claimed battery life for macbook pro

走火入魔

中毒极深

回头是岸:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Sorry, I can't read chinese. ;(

I'd appreciate it if you can translate that in english.

Sure 8 or 9 is beyond what is being claimed. You can also stretch the batt life in other laptops. Wildcat claimed that the batt life of his 3 year old laptop can stretched up to 6 hrs. I don't find that surprising really.

Last edited:
7 hrs doable in ultraportables - I went to the Sony vaio ultraportable link that you mentioned. Do you have the latest model? You can't even buy this one. :) It would be unfair to compare this to a 13" MacBook Pro for example. 2ghz vs. 1Ghz, 4GB max ram on the macbook vs. 2GB max ram on the sony. 13" screen vs. 11" screen. etc. Btw, 7.5 is the estimated batt life on the Sony. Were you able to get that regularly?

well, if you want me to tell you what i think, i think 2 years ago, macbook probably had similar specs and lousier battery life :bsmilie::bsmilie::devil:

Sure 8 or 9 is beyond what is being claimed. You can also stretch the batt life in other laptops. Wildcat claimed that the batt life of his 3 year old laptop can stretched up to 6 hrs. I don't find that surprising really.

you win!

34jan29-fanboy.jpg

bye

That's obviously a fake. Macs only come in white.

Oh wait. That's an iPood.

nah, that's an apple fan boy

in the macbookpro box, at the bottom, there lies the suit

you haven't bought one, so you don't know. :devil:

http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|走火入魔 中毒极深 回头是岸

I'd like to generalize on the target customers of Apple but that could start a flame war :cheergal: and I ain't gonna get banned over an apple. Or an orange, for that matter.

In case you didn't get the irony of the "audio" thingie, pls read what hazmee wrote again. Maybe you can reply him how to resolve his issues, rather than trying to justify the Mac's "superiorness".

ok ok translate literally

walk fire enter devil
middle poison end deep
turn head is shore

not very helpful..... :bsmilie:

nah, that's an apple fan boy

in the macbookpro box, at the bottom, there lies the suit

you haven't bought one, so you don't know. :devil:

Never know.. I might change my mind after being convinced of Mac's superiority. Err.. does he come in electric blue also?

Status
Not open for further replies.