Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with germ_boi above.

I think the design of the hardware is just one of the reason why people buy macs. Of course, who would want to buy a laptop that you'll be ashamed to take out in a coffee shop? It really helps if the hardware looks good but good looking hardware is not enough. The software side is also great. Sure, Mac OSX is not 100% secure and you can still get attacked but it's nothing compared to the number of Windows viruses that you can get. Antivirus software is one of the things that slows down Windows. With macs, you may want to run antivirus and antimalware software in the background, but most people don't and in the current state of things, you probably don't need it anyways. As a result, the operating system and application generally run more quickly.

The bundled software is also good. iTunes is already installed. The iLife suite is good enough for most people. Safari is decent and it doesn't come with crapware that most PC manufacturers bundles on their machines -- those browser toolbars that eats up a lot of space and other utilities that runs in the background and slows down the machine. It also comes with a built-in PDF viewer that is faster than Adobe Reader. There are a lot of well written software available on a Mac. Simple things like sleep mode works too - just close the lid and it goes to sleep. Open it up and it wakes up quickly. Wireless networking is built in and is stupidly easy to set up.

The hardware specs is also decent - so long as you compare it to PC laptop of the same class and not to a cheap netbook. :D

I use PC, have a mac but I prefer my PC.
Waiting for the new Sony Z

i7 processor, 6gb ram, quad RAID SSD, 1.5kg.
there's no other computer that comes close.
oh yeah it has an expresscard slot too.haha!
yeah waiting to see that too... Quad RAID SSD :cool:... by the way, I believe the RAM is upgradeable to 8GB according to Intel's processor info, which is great for 64bit Photoshop CS4... but I guess not everyone needs all this power...

I had never used a MacBook before.
But the design is very chio.
Tempted to jump ship to Mac as my current laptop is 4 yrs old liao.
Easy to switch over? Any advice?

:)

why is it more expensive?

because with enough marketing, you can sell whatever you want.

more stable? not really, it's not as if you can do anything you want with a mac and abuse it and it will run run run.

better for photography editing? not really, pc specs will own it for equivalent price, even with laptop purchase.

the only thing i see going for a mac is the screen. and of course, i admit, it is very chio. :heart:

pay the premium for that? no way. :bsmilie: i am too pragmatic for that.

Last edited:
Of course, who would want to buy a laptop that you'll be ashamed to take out in a coffee shop?

why you taking out laptops in coffeeshops la.............

can show the beer aunty photos? :bsmilie:

I don't, but some people do take their laptops in coffee shops. :D

when I was new york every tom dick and harry had a macbook pro in Starbucks tryin to look like an artist/writer
so maybe that's partly where my disdain stems from...

admittedly snow leopard runs great and I like how fast it gets out of sleep mode.
However it really irks me that I can't fullscreen my apps...
I'm still using win xp hahah

Last edited:
it's a matter of personal preference really...

Mac's don't crash too often, though they have the 'spinning beach ball of death'

They have great screens.

They're expensive if showing off is what you want to do. Sitting in Starbucks or Coffee Bean with that cool unibody laptop with an Apple logo.

Great interface and looks.

Final Cut Pro is only available on Mac, so there goes the video industry and all the multimedia guys and Photojournalists.

Tough body (I'm 83kg 6'3 and once I was sitting on an office chair and my macbook pro was on the floor, It's pretty slim so I accidentally ran over it. Now it just has a dent and nothing else)

FireWire is cool, though now we're getting USB 3 or something which is equivalent.

And lastly quite a few schools use Mac as a default choice, including the university that I go to. So I bought a macbook pro 17".

If you aren't doing professional work get a PC of equal price but 10x better specs. That's what I'd do.

Coming from a person who owns a Mac, a windows laptop, and a desktop.

I've had my Powerbook G4 15" since late 2004, and i've only had to change the HDD once in 2008. DIY'd the HDD upgrade myself, done in 30mins and I was good to go. I've dropped the laptop from table height, abused it in every way possible (lifting the whole thing up by the screen) etc.

It's still running strong today with OS Tiger. Cost me $3800 back then, and it's the best $3800 i've ever spent.

My wife just bought a 13" Macbook last year, and she's having a blast with it. Hehe....wish my battery was rated for 7hrs though. :bsmilie:

when I was new york every tom dick and harry had a macbook pro in Starbucks tryin to look like an artist/writer
so maybe that's partly where my disdain stems from...

admittedly snow leopard runs great and I like how fast it gets out of sleep mode.
However it really irks me that I can't fullscreen my apps...
I'm still using win xp hahah

Check out the Windows 7 64bit man.... getting out of sleep mode is abt a sec for me.... :)

Mac
- Doesn't get PC viruses
- High performance
- Always up to date
- Born ready
- Get on Internet in a few clicks
- Chats

PC
- Doesn't get Mac viruses
- Higher performance
- Windows Update
- Born even more ready with more devices
- Getting online is even a selling point?
- Available too

So it's true. You are paying more for the chio.

I disagree with the "Always up to date" with the Macs. In some cases, you even need to pay for the updates.

Or look at the iPhone. It took 3 generations to get features in that other phones have had since 2001.

apple is good as no virus like mac OS

Not true. There are mac viruses already. And it's easiest to hack/phish than most Windows PCs. Especially if you use Safari.

currently on.

W7 32 Bit on an Acer Travelmate 2.23ghz C2D with 2gb of ram
Snow Leopard, macbk white, 2.13ghz C2D 4gb ram.

Reasons why you should go mac

1. No more stupid troubleshooting problems that Windows brings you
2. Looks good, well built
3. Battery life is awesome stuff
4. Comprehensive suite of useful software.(Preview opens anything from Jpeg to a raw file from a Leaf Aptus back, windows on the other...doesnt recognise CR2 files.)
5. Efficient
6. Vmware Fusion(with 2 screens, I can run W7 AND OS X simultaneously)

Reasons why you should NOT get a mac

1. $$$$$$$$$( I mean, i paid $300 more for LESS specs!!!!!)
2. No IE support.(you ask who uses IE? try schools and government websites, all work best with IE)
3. Gaming....hmmm.....erm.....
4. Gotta re-learn everything.
5. File systems are gonna be a headache.

Using both on a daily basis, I have to say the advantages and disadvantages are pretty apparent. If I were you, I would go according to primary usage.

If its predominantly for on the go, editting, media related work, Go mac!
If for web surfing, basic computing, gaming and MSN(geez, the IM clients for OS x is horrible) go windows!(W7 please, Vista was a big reason why I jumped)

Either platform you go, cant go wrong, its like Canon/Nikon all over again, advantages and disadvantages from both sides, pick the one that suits you most!

Have fun computing!;)

if ur asking this, u should get a mac :p

ull be utterly impressed by the interface and looks. but the practicality of using a mac is abysmal unless u plan to BBB.

why you taking out laptops in coffeeshops la.............

can show the beer aunty photos? :bsmilie:
There was a time when I was using my notebook in a neighbourhood coffeshop when some random guy came up to, passed me some notes while speaking in gibberish cantonese. Was really stunned at that moment and didn't know what to say. :sweat:

Last edited:
just got my macbook on 29 Jan, love it.

A few thing that amaze me is,
e.g.
1) if forget to turn on the modem when started safari, once the modem is turn on. safari refresh itself without us clicking the refresh button.
2) shut down super fast... unlike window

will... still checking out my mac... no complaint yet..:D

i like this spoof ad i saw on youtube once...

hi im a mac
and im a pc
you know, macs are incredibly user friendly and have the best customer satisfaction rating out there
dude.. shut up
but
you have less then 20% of all global computer sales, have hardly any programs that actually work and can't play games. didnt mention that did you?
well so i cant run games, but i'm for creative people, name one thing in that suite that a pc can do that a mac cant
right click... bitch

no idea if the facts are true but i found it pretty funny :p
pc user myself.. might switch to mac after school though... stil not sure.. the incredibly hefty pricetag is keeping me off them haha

i like this spoof ad i saw on youtube once...

hi im a mac
and im a pc
you know, macs are incredibly user friendly and have the best customer satisfaction rating out there
dude.. shut up
but
you have less then 20% of all global computer sales, have hardly any programs that actually work and can't play games. didnt mention that did you?
well so i cant run games, but i'm for creative people, name one thing in that suite that a pc can do that a mac cant
right click... bitch

no idea if the facts are true but i found it pretty funny :p
pc user myself.. might switch to mac after school though... stil not sure.. the incredibly hefty pricetag is keeping me off them haha

hahaha.. i've seen that one.. But seriously speaking the only reason why anyone from the multimedia industry would buy a mac is because of Final Cut Pro.. all the rest of the stuff in it is available on cheaper PC's..

hahaha.. i've seen that one.. But seriously speaking the only reason why anyone from the multimedia industry would buy a mac is because of Final Cut Pro.. all the rest of the stuff in it is available on cheaper PC's..

Plus most other apps run a damn sight faster on an IBM platform.

Buy a mac and cripple you brain :devil:

I disagree with the "Always up to date" with the Macs. In some cases, you even need to pay for the updates.

Or look at the iPhone. It took 3 generations to get features in that other phones have had since 2001.

It wasn't me...I just took it from http://www.apple.com/sg/getamac/whymac/. And my rationale is that the listed reasons for using a Mac are not good enough for me.

Plus most other apps run a damn sight faster on an IBM platform.

Buy a mac and cripple you brain :devil:

Come on. It's ok if you don't like the product. But to insult for who do like it and use it - I don't think that is fair. :nono:

Just to put it into context - we are talking about a tool here. This is something that people buy and use according to their needs. If some people prefer a certain brand, that is their choice. You just have to respect that.

Anyways, I doubt if what you've stated in your comment is true. There is no reason why apps running on IBM PC are faster than apps running on Apple Macs because both are now on the same type of hardware. You can even run Windows on Mac hardware. PCWorld even found the MacBookPro as the fastest Windows Vista laptop of 2007.

If anything else, apps on Windows might even run slower because Windows users usually run antivirus and anti-malware software in the background. Those things consume memory and processing time and can even slow down disk access. Mac OSX users usually do not run anti-virus and anti-malware software so Mac apps are free to run unhindered by anti-virus software.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.