Why don't I join the photoshoots?

Why don't I join the photoshoots? (You are allowed to make multiple choices!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting more and more confusing..... :confused:

Mint...
No one is against you.... No one is being ageist or sexist....
So don't worry.

Azure.
I understand (now) why you do not disclose where you've been to. I didn't push further and probing. May I request that next time if someone asks you where you've been, do not be so serious. Just state the reasons you gave me, in a lighter tone. :)

I think Mint's just using AG as an example. I can see that most formers here are male. Most but not all. I know that not all of us are of same gender, age, same 'level of experience', or use same level of equipment. There will be people using slightly lower-end equipment. Everyone was newbie once. Everyone was young once.

I believe we took up different paths because of our different views on photography. To some, it's a full-time profession. To some it's a part-time profession. To others it's a hobby. Some take it more serious than others. Or some are here to learn something so they can get on the track of pursuing interest in photography.

No one should look down on someone because of what he/she is using, or level of skill, etc.

I believe Azure had been taking Mint too seriously now....

And yes, some people are more serious than others. Some are more humourous.

mintae said:
thanks for the sarcasm. but, i am only trying to break the ice in a place where i am comfortable so that i would find it easier for me to dare to join in other outings. i wonder where all the other previous comments by females went. maybe age is catching up on me.

well, if you hadn't confused everyone by dealing with certain issues in different strokes, this whole misunderstanding would never have occured.

what may seem to be just a harmless comment, is after all, still a comment.And if it gets mixed up and converges with other more pressing issues, it will generate friction.Azure's right about your differing tone, but we all make mistakes yeah.

It doesn't mean if someone is stern, he's out to get you or has a bone to grind.There are others who would be nice, but you might never know what they really are.At least he's harsh but he's direct.

Just calm down and look through his reasonings, some of them do make sense :)

I do agree that Azure's stern tone is not without reason. You have been disturbing his AG threads without reason twice before -
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=170343 & http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=171623
It seems that mintae is taking it too seriously and overreacting, not Azure. His tone seems rather neutral to me, though stern. (kijer, i think the term u're looking for is histronic personality).
Mintae, I think you should look from the viewpoint that his reply is not without reason, and he is merely suggesting to you that you should take responsibility for your words. I feel that at least he is looking at you as a matured adult who is should be able to think of consequences first before actions. Remember that when you attack a person's work (or efforts), you attack the person regardless whether u mean it or not (something my lecturer told me).

In addition, I think it does make some people (me included) that while you talk about being shy, on the other hand, you made such a big leap to organise such a giant outing. It's no surprise that people will wonder about the intent of your post, it's just natural reaction.

It does seem interesting to me that someone will request a person not to take the other person seriously. To me, it just implies that this other person is not worth giving attention to because he/she always monkey around and is never serious. Furthermore, this is not a chatterbox subforum where more relaxed threads and posts take place. So stone, are you implying that mintae is just another kid and whose words should be taken lightly with a pinch of salt? I think she is more than that.

Mintae, don't worry so much about males and stuff. I'm a girl and I've attended quite a number of outings, whether it's to AGs, Klose's, slivester's or others. Other ladies may not be proportionally equal to the guys, but they are quite a common sight in outings. I've met quite a number of ladies via outings, even attended a few outings when ladies are proportional to the guys.
I do wish to caution u about organising such a giant outing when you yourself are new to even participating in outings. Leading outings is more than just getting a group of people to gather, check out a few details and hitting the area. I don't think it's a good way to break ice, if that's your aim. Just a simple advice, so please do not take it too serious and think too much abt it.

Cheers...

roninwolf said:
i think the term u're looking for is histronic personality

In addition, I think it does make some people (me included) that while you talk about being shy, on the other hand, you made such a big leap to organise such a giant outing. It's no surprise that people will wonder about the intent of your post, it's just natural reaction.

It does seem interesting to me that someone will request a person not to take the other person seriously. To me, it just implies that this other person is not worth giving attention to because he/she always monkey around and is never serious. Furthermore, this is not a chatterbox subforum where more relaxed threads and posts take place.

Wow sounds like you are a pyschology major? first semester I bet.
Truly, I must say that from the social/pysch perspective, roninwolk may have a valid point. And I'll take a third person view of things here.

As an older individual, I may suggest that Mintae takes an honest look at herself. I believe in the benefit of the doubt. And I'm sure your are not influenced by anyone else to post like she did. Yet to do so, you have made yourself appear to be out to cause trouble. On the other hand, Azure, what trouble can a 18-year-old girl do? Misguided perhaps, and it could even be inappropriate peer influence in life to result in such behaviour (I shudder when I look at Xiaxue's blog...). But I want to believe that Mintae is innocently doing this. I can only hope it truly is the case.

As for the subsequent things said and rebutted, I can empathise why an established outing organiser like Azure can feel annoyed by posts/responses by Mintae. Here comes a newcomer and he/she launches 3 posts directed (or so it seems) at his outings. It is made more sad that Mintae, you adamantly deny any fault. An apology is so easy to give, and it makes the world a happier place. Why don't you just withdraw your comment and say sorry? Who knows, you may find a great person on the other side. But by choosing to fight, you choose to make enemies? that is never a wise thing to do.
// for roninwolf - this would come under the category denial //

Mintae, do you really have a problem?

As in any society or a microsm of it, there will be supporters of the underdog. And redstone's post is clearly one that adds to the fire. Throughout the exchange, you seem to be supporting Mintae. Probably she is your good friend or even girlfriend, that's something not or us to speculate. But such comments as yours, timed as they are, only create more problems. So take a step back and reflect on it - are you helping to resolve, or have you gone to cause undue stress to the situation?

Aeronautisis, you are interesting. I will presume you to know Azure well, after all, you claimed to have worked together. I do detect a pinch of sarcasm there in what you say.

By the same token, Azure, I think you should also go easy on them. After all, they are still "children" by virtue of their age. give them that little benefit of the doubt. As we older Hongkongers would say "they have yet to grow". These are still young sprouts, and will need move time to choose whether to become a healthy plant or be tangled by the weeds.

Lazerlordz is commendable to attempt to make some balance out of this fiasco. A fiasco which I think has caused a fair bit of unhappiness.

Lastly, I shall not comment on the one post. Other then poorly veiled insults to people, it is clearly a person I'd deem unsuitable for change as he/she is too full of himself.

I've been following this forum since a fellow counsellor from Singapore recommended it to me. And I must say that it is useful (even fun!) for a practicing counsellor to read some of the things here. So back to roninwolf, good attempt at use of your basics! But don't get carried away.

Cheers, everyone,

Jermaine

I'm sure everyone has their reasons for wanting to join or not wanting to join a photo shoot. Whatever ur reason may be, it's not really fair to quote any names & specific outings as examples of "reasons that might intimidate one from joining an outing", especially when u have not actually participated in one of it before. It's never easy to organise an outing alone, & even more difficult to keep a series of outings going & alive for extended periods. Therefore, credit should be given to all individuals in this forum who actually took the initiative & effort to organise regular outings for everyone's benefit. C'mon, these folks don't gain anything from organising outings, in fact, they gotta sacrifice personal time to plan the route & coordinate the participants. Why should they be criticised or slammed by others for their efforts & for wanting to protect their outings?

I believe that the objective behind most photo outings are (1) to share knowledge of photography skills, (2) to know more about a certain location, & (3) to forge new friendships with like-minded people. So what if this forum is male-dominated? So what if most people use digicams (that's the current trend anyway)? Will these factors actually hinder u from learning & improving urself with whatever camera that u're holding? Nice photos can be taken by male or female, teen or adult, using film or digital, point-&-shoot or SLR. I guess ultimately, it's ur own confidence level & how u perceive urself that matters most. I'm not trying to say that one must be very proud or must think very highly of their photography skills before they ever consider joining any outings, what I'm trying to say is, if ur objective is clear, there's actually nothing to really fear about in any of the outings, other than the "demon" in urself.

If u've joined a particular outing & felt that the people suck, the organiser suck & all, then next time round just don't join lor... Why waste time lingering in the forum & engage in virtual flaming wars when u can actually spend the time reading up on something more useful or simply juz play with ur camera???

Just sharing some thoughts out loud.

Hmm... Althought should be so abrupt...
But let's cool down and let the thread continue?

Anyone with more comments to share on why would one not join photoshoot?

Hi Damian here, when will be the next photoshoot outing?

am interested to join...

wat kinda lens is suitable for the outing?

is 17 - 85 suitable?

cos thats all i have with a 20D

Thanx

It's time I do something other than slave away all week. My photography knowledge may be a bit rusty, and I may be new to digital photography, and my equipment is extremely limited, but I am interested in weekend and ph outings.

Maybe I can pick up a bit of Singlish to boot. After so many years here, I should be able to communicate more effectively!

There was this once I went on a outdoor trip (Not Clupsnap). This small group of rowdy 4 guys before setting up equipments was already rattling about their equipments. One said "Aiyah, dun use L lenses picture sure blur one, waste time only!"

Out came their 10Ds, 1D and others and truckload of white L lenses, transported using their fleet of cars comprising of BMW coupe, Mit EVO, Alfa Romeo and an Audi.

Perhaps these are the snobs who makes outings terrifying for newbies, amateur and thriftys with their less than glorious equipments?

Are you affected by all these? Would you:

1. Set up your $15 tripod next to someone's Manfrotto?
2. Put your $300 P&S digital camera on the tripod next to that fellow's 5D on his Manfrotto?
3. Ask the rowdy ones to keep quiet so that your little camera on its light tripod will not shake?;p

hifisiao said:
Are you affected by all these? Would you:

1. Set up your $15 tripod next to someone's Manfrotto?
2. Put your $300 P&S digital camera on the tripod next to that fellow's 5D on his Manfrotto?
3. Ask the rowdy ones to keep quiet so that your little camera on its light tripod will not shake?;p

Okay, i am a real newbie. See my post no u can tell... ;) Post No 1.

Regards to the above quote, yes i used to be quite affected initially, but now i take it as a feeling of envious. No point getting awkward, different ppl have different levels of skills, use different levels of equipments. I have seen my friends using pro digicams, but use auto-mode:think: . Some use small compact cams, but try to use manual mode.

Most of the time i shoot solo, or only with 1 or 2 kakis. If there is any photoshoots available, i will be happy to join (of cse if timing permits). I am not a pro, but learning hard to become one (need more advice and critiques, and also depend on budget:sweat: ) and always getting confuse :bsmilie: So hopefully i wont be left out alone by the whole grp!

me very newbie.....just bought a fz5...still dun noe how to use...:cry: ..a bit paiseh to join in

:D Hi, Welcome myself to the club. Can I join the outdoor photoshoot?

metallilan said:
yea. i guess i agree too. heh. abit shy lar... ;) also cuz im using a prosumer cam ( Fz5 ), so...feels abit left out if you compare me with big boys with big toys...heh.

i'm using a FZ-20 and the 1st outing i went (Esplanade on 2nd April) was fun, although the rest of the guys n gers had big guns.. i believe as long as the grp is ok with ur equip n r friendly ppl, u can always have fun... u can also learn alot from them!

LazerLordz said:
I usually use a prosumer too..:)

Maybe we should have a small outing for small cameras one day?:D

i certainly dun mind!

I also very newbie, abit paisay to join coz skills not up to level..

aaron80 said:
I also very newbie, abit paisay to join coz skills not up to level..

by the way aaron... wat cam r u using now? juz interested to know..

Status
Not open for further replies.