Why Are Old Leica Range Finders Still So Expensive?

zophob51

Jun 28, 2009
Hi all,

I went window shopping at Pennisula area this weekend and found that old Leica rangefinders (M3 etc) are still selling @ ~S$2000++ in the 2nd hand shops. I am wondering why such old cameras using 35mm film are still being sold @ such relatively high prices? I know that Leicas are typically well made but in what way were they made that command such high resale prices?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment. :)

Hi all,

I went window shopping at Pennisula area this weekend and found that old Leica rangefinders (M3 etc) are still selling @ ~S$2000++ in the 2nd hand shops. I am wondering why such old cameras using 35mm film are still being sold @ such relatively high prices? I know that Leicas are typically well made but in what way were they made that command such high resale prices?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment. :)

As long as the demand for them is still high, it isn't hard to explain ;)

Anyway, shops are normally ask for higher price than hand to hand market.

Aren't some of the M3s and M2s and maybe the not so good shape M4s going for less than 2K$?

As long as there's someone willing to pay that price, it need not be sold at less.

Same theory applies to property and cars in Singapore..

coz Leica glasses are handcrafted by those mystical elves! :bsmilie:

To many, its more than just a glass, its almost a religion!

shop around I am sure you find something more economical elsewhere

Same reason why good Rolex watches are high in value even after many years. People value them.

I think it really depends on the conditions. For M2 and M3 serial numbers over 1,100,000 commands a higher price. Think mint M3 or M4 can goes around 2k to 2.5k mint.

But I did see a black M6 classic @ 1680.00 two days ago at peninsula p&g, not sure if there's anything wrong with it, but exterior looks good. If everything is in order it's prolly the lowest priced M6 I've seen.

I do think prices for black M2/3/4 will rise further as time goes by... they look more and more attractive with age!

It's the same for buying used cars in the US. In general, the ball park figure to buy a decent car that doesn't require too much maintenance overhaul to keep it at decent tip top shape is 4K USD. Pay less than that, and likely you have to spend quite a fair bit on maintenance. In the end, you might spend 4K USD anyway.

With cameras this old, and like all things mechanical, there's wear and tear, and never mind old electronics. Electronics never last forever.

Last edited:
...Because they are rare, and often, even if you have the money, you may not always be able to find the pieces you want...

As a matter of fact, Singapore is one of the best places to buy used leica stuff in the world. Try checking out the prices in japan and hong kong. Even Europe and US.

But dont compare eBay prices, unless u want to take risk and gamble with money.

Generally yes, but it doesn't take a lot for a deal to go south (bad).

I generally buy cheap from ebay because i know that things occasionally happen, so what we want is to buy cheap and not hope to sell it ridiculously higher. ie. buy low sell high. Not buyer higher, and sell even higher.

For example, I bought about 5 x CL in the past 1 year, one was completely frozen, nothing could turn, shutter, back etc, only the 40mm cron was salvageable. However, since i bought it at a price of a cron, it didn't matter.

Take the case of the frankenstein M2, everyone was warning me not to buy it. It was in good condition but the risk was there that the whole m2 would be a dud, ie. the seller rating was like a dismal 92%, the photos were small, and the description had alot of "I don't really know...". What I did was to call the seller, spoke to the seller, asked questions and warned him that it if was not what he described, I would be seeking to get compensation and give him a bad rating; in the end I pulled the trigger. The camera was what was described and now a feller CSer is a proud owner of the M2.

There are bargains on ebay, some of it has to do with folklore and usability, for example, the price of the canon f1.5 is around 550 usd, the f1.2 is around 600+ and the f0.95 is around 2k usd. But the f1.4 can be gotten less than 250 usd. The f1.5 lens is a sonnar design but the f1.4 is very very good too, i like the chalky look of it.

zain.jpg

"Zain. Captured on the M4-P with the Canon f1.4 with yellow filter"

But wait...the Canon f1.8 is the poor man's summicron, this lens has been praised by Dante Stella as the best 1.8f ever for Leica LTM. This lens can be had for between $99 - 150. But hardly anyone talks about the f1.8.

arms.jpg

Roll#163 Film is Plusx100 souped in Microdol-x STAND (cause of the halo effect)
Leica CL with Canon18

Here's another example, i bought a beaten up Canon 35/3.5f for 41USD, the CLA was 80SGD. Net net, it cost be 120. Was this a bargain ? I am undecided. P&G who CLAed it says its beautifully restored.

canon35.jpg

Roll#273 Plus-x Diafine, Frankenstein m2 with Canon 35/f3.5

so bottom-line is, there are bargains but it is a bargain for a reason, if the reason is cosmetics, it is probably okay.

I've always wanted to try film and rangefinder camera and recently just bought a not so great exterior M3 from a fellow Cser. On first look the camera exterior doesn't look at all impressive. I've never held a Leica prior to meeting the seller but after holding the camera for 10 mins and fiddling it around, i truly appreciate the beauty of the leica and what german precision mechanical engineering is about. I just find it amazing for something totally mechanical and over 50years old to still be in a working condition, compared to the all digital junk we have today.

I've always wanted to try film and rangefinder camera and recently just bought a not so great exterior M3 from a fellow Cser. On first look the camera exterior doesn't look at all impressive. I've never held a Leica prior to meeting the seller but after holding the camera for 10 mins and fiddling it around, i truly appreciate the beauty of the leica and what german precision mechanical engineering is about. I just find it amazing for something totally mechanical and over 50years old to still be in a working condition, compared to the all digital junk we have today.

When I view through my R6 is just like seeing through crystal glass, compare to my D70, like view through plastic sheet. :bsmilie:

chiif said:
As a matter of fact, Singapore is one of the best places to buy used leica stuff in the world. Try checking out the prices in japan and hong kong. Even Europe and US.

But dont compare eBay prices, unless u want to take risk and gamble with money.

Just an observation from my side. It seems that HK sellers tend to price their stuffs much higher compared to US and EU. For eg, they can sell anywhere from a few hundred to US1k more than other sellers. A search in ebay return many results from HK sellers. I wonder if they are trying to drive up leica prices? If so, why (other than profit reasons)?

Just an observation from my side. It seems that HK sellers tend to price their stuffs much higher compared to US and EU. For eg, they can sell anywhere from a few hundred to US1k more than other sellers. A search in ebay return many results from HK sellers. I wonder if they are trying to drive up leica prices? If so, why (other than profit reasons)?

In this small planet earth, it doesn't take a genius to know who are the real spenders nowadays... And HK is the gateway for these groups of new wealthy population.

That explains the skyhigh prices of leica glasses over there.

Leica is a solid piece of craftsmanship. Each camera is hand made and there is no plastic feel about it. There is a certain feeling which I can't describe when using a Leica , a certain joy. The closest feeling I can describe is that it is like having Seeex..pardon the word.

I've got 2 RF cameras.

I like the Leica for its build, the fully mechanical feel etc.

My Hexar on the other hand is a very practical work horse. The speed it works at is something any film leica body cant do at the moment ;)

Its nice to have both to compliment my shooting style