Why a pentax??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel k200d is a better overall camera and the least you should get. K-m is really very very budget for those who just want a dslr for the sake of getting it and cheaply. Anyway, try not to get too many kit lenses, i never had one. Once you feel the quality, both optical and built, of the DA limiteds and DA*s, you would want get rid of the kits. For a start, you may try getting a FA50 f1.4 as your kit. Cost around $330. Very versatile and good for beginners. Forget about the zoom.

noted....:)

that's why i am looking for pentax:)...i heard the lens are cheaper:)..i am not sure how true this is though..can someone confirmed this?
Thanks
ok, maybe "cheap" is not the right word. But Pentax lenses are generally very reasonably priced for the built and optical quality. The best pentax primes hovers around the 1k mark rather than 1.5-2.5k from Nikon and Canon. And quality wise, I would say it is no less if not better. You may want check out the legendary FA31 and FA77 Limiteds.

Last edited:
ok, maybe "cheap" is not the right word. But Pentax lenses are generally very reasonably priced for the built and optical quality. The best pentax primes hovers around the 1k mark rather than 2-3k from Nikon and Canon. And quality wise, I would say it is no less if not better. You may want check out the legendary FA31 and FA77 Limiteds.

sorry...i should said value for money....i heard N lens are very X...C lens no comments yet..haven really check out the price..

Are pentax good with zoom lens??(need a bit of reach some times)

I feel k200d is a better overall camera and the least you should get. K-m is really very very budget for those who just want a dslr for the sake of getting it and cheaply. Anyway, try not to get too many kit lenses, i never had one. Once you feel the quality, both optical and built, of the DA limiteds and DA*s, you would want get rid of the kits. For a start, you may try getting a FA50 f1.4 as your kit. Cost around $330. Very versatile and good for beginners. Forget about the zoom.

i see....i really havent tried primes..so i really dunno...hmmm

sorry...i should said value for money....i heard N lens are very X...C lens no comments yet..haven really check out the price..

Are pentax good with zoom lens??(need a bit of reach some times)
Canon L lenses are famous for being very exp. Ha. Generally I feel Pentax zooms may not be better than C n L except for the DA*s. You may consider the da*16-50 or da*50-135 if you really want a zoom.

i see....i really havent tried primes..so i really dunno...hmmm
Basically, once you try primes, you would not want touch zooms. Ha. Tat poisonous. I only see the need for zoom of its versatility say in wedding events and holiday trips. For the ultimate in image quality, I only go for primes. Ha!

Basically, once you try primes, you would not want touch zooms. Ha. Tat poisonous. I only see the need for zoom of its versatility say in wedding events and holiday trips. For the ultimate in image quality, I only go for primes. Ha!

wanted the camera for my coming holiday trip in end oct and dec..are the kit lens good enough if i want to take scenary and protrait?...(maybe some group photo)

i see...did you asked how much a single lens kit would cost anywaes?

Not really....In fact the shop initially quoted $1160 for a single lens kit until I told them about the offer at Vivo Best Denki (twin kit at $1199).
After Florence made a call to enquire, she then offered the twin kit at $1160.

Not really....In fact the shop initially quoted $1160 for a single lens kit until I told them about the offer at Vivo Best Denki (twin kit at $1199).

I think i will go for pentax...i was looking the lens prices and it looks more affordable...than C and N.....need to save up a bit more first...:)...

wanted the camera for my coming holiday trip in end oct and dec..are the kit lens good enough if i want to take scenary and protrait?...(maybe some group photo)
For travel, I would advise a zoom. Probably a sigma 17-70 (the only zoom I have, and it's a none pentax <;). But a da21mmLimited is just as good for walkaround, street photography, landscape and group photos in the day.

For travel, I would advise a zoom. Probably a sigma 17-70 (the only zoom I have, and it's a none pentax <;). But a da21mmLimited is just as good for walkaround, street photography, landscape and group photos in the day.

may i ask how much is the cost of such lens ??
maybe i will buy a body with second hand lens also:)

may i ask how much is the cost of such lens ??
maybe i will buy a body with second hand lens also:)
sigma17-70 is around $600 new and goes for as low as $400 2nd-hand. It's probably the only zoom I have and will have. The DA21mm limited goes for around $670 new and $530 2nd-hand. The sigma, thou a zoom is a very sharp lens to begin with. The only thg I dislike about it is the crinkled zen finnishing. Else, there's nothing much more to expect from a zoom. The da21 is probably the best walk-around prime. I also second the DA40mmLimited for walkaround although it may get a bit tight for its fov. It's the world's thinnest lens ("pancake" lens). Can be gotten as low as $250!!! (very cheap) second hand (iirc there's quite a number of them selling in BnS) and $480 new.

Last edited:
sigma17-70 is around $600 new and goes for as low as $400 2nd-hand. It's probably the only zoom I have and will have. The DA21mm limited goes for around $670 new and $530 2nd-hand. The sigma, thou a zoom is a very sharp lens to begin with. The only thg I dislike about it is the crinkled zen finnishing. Else, there's nothing much more to expect from a zoom. The da21 is probably the best walk-around prime. I also second the DA40mmLimited for walkaround although it may get a bit tight for its fov. It's the world's thinnest lens ("pancake" lens). Can be gotten as low as $250!!! (very cheap) second hand (iirc there's quite a number of them selling in BnS) and $480 new.

Thanks for the info....tight on budget now..just payed for my tour...and planning my house and marriage now:bsmilie:....
my gf sure grumble ...she told me she cant see the different between pic quality in dslr and my proconsumer...haha...i told her cause she always sees picture of people using dslr but without the skill..(not to offend anyone here.)..i am also one of those..bo skill one..:)

i am asking for a equote..let see how much they will quote me:)

I'm sure the new Pentax K-m is just as capable as the K200D.
Pretty sure a few seasoned Pentax users here will probably get this camera when it becomes available here as it will be the cheapest 10mp Pentax DSLR and the compact size is very appealing. It has all that features most of us would need plus focusing is said to be fast.

Unless you've tried it, I wouldn't write off the Pentax starter lenses (DA 18-55mm & DA 50-200) as they give good optical performance with excellent value. These lenses are both light and compact and offer a wide range of focal lengths without hurting the pocket. I still keep and use the DA 18-55mm kit lens and have little intention to dispose of it as at the very worse it makes for a compact and affordable wide angle. Buying DA Limited and DA*s or the FA 50mm would no doubt offer a step up in optical performance but does not in itself guarantee good pictures.

Anyway there is a K200D from a reputable Pentaxian in B&S that's looks like a great deal here. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421418

I'm sure the new Pentax K-m is just as capable as the K200D.
Pretty sure a few seasoned Pentax users here will probably get this camera when it becomes available here as it will be the cheapest 10mp Pentax DSLR and the compact size is very appealing. It has all that features most of us would need plus focusing is said to be fast.

Unless you've tried it, I wouldn't write off the Pentax starter lenses (DA 18-55mm & DA 50-200) as they give good optical performance with excellent value. These lenses are both light and compact and offer a wide range of focal lengths without hurting the pocket. I still keep and use the DA 18-55mm kit lens and have little intention to dispose of it as at the very worse it makes for a compact and affordable wide angle. Buying DA Limited and DA*s or the FA 50mm would no doubt offer a step up in optical performance but does not in itself guarantee good pictures.

Anyway there is a K200D from a reputable Pentaxian in B&S that's looks like a great deal here. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421418
Ha, both of us are always very different in views. But its good to air your opinions so that others can make a more informed choice.

starting to get sway away by C and Sony....yesterday went to best denki hoping to try k200d...they told they dont have..:(

instead saw sony a200 promo..damn tempting..

Notice you're posting on other equipment threads too... :think:
Sorry but I think you just don't get it. You just have no idea what you want and nobody can help you here. Any camera can take pictures. Instead of all the posting to get opinions, asking this and that, just go to a decent camera shop and try out. Ask the salespeople what cameras they have available within your budget. So simple.

No need to tell us your thought process... especially on a PENTAX equipment thread. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.