Why a pentax??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first link looks like a KAF2 mount and the second link looks like it's KA.
It's best to confirm the mount with the sellers though.

There is a pretty good writeup in this thread on the different Pentax mounts and their differences.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269055

The first link should be a KA mount and the second link a KAF mount.

Oh yeah... Got the order of the links wrong... :p

Yeah the Sigma 21-35mm is a KA. -> Kmount + 'A' aperture

The other Sigma 18-200mm is a KAF -> Kmount + 'A'aperture + AutoFocus.

It could be quite confusing for those not familiar, but no choice, that's the template for selling 3rd party lens for Pentax B&S. The word "Pentaxmount" is default.

Yeah the Sigma 21-35mm is a KA. -> Kmount + 'A' aperture

The other Sigma 18-200mm is a KAF -> Kmount + 'A'aperture + AutoFocus.

It could be quite confusing for those not familiar, but no choice, that's the template for selling 3rd party lens for Pentax B&S. The word "Pentaxmount" is default.

Is the KA mount similar to Nikon's AF-S lenses?or is all pentax lenses able to autofocus?

Quoted from http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269055 (Write-up by fengwei)
Summary about the history of Pentax K Mount (mostly copied from somewhere else):
1.K mount: original K-mount, released in 1976. Strictly mechanical connection. (K and M lenses).
2. KA mount: released in 1981-82. Electronic aperture control and information about widest aperture is transmitted to the camera. Allows for program mode and shutter priority. (A lenses).
3. KAF mount: released in 1987, autofocus mount with distance information and other parameters send to the camera. (F lenses).
4. KAF2 mount: released in 1991, as KAF but with additional information send to the camera, as MTF information (every individual lens is measured and the information about lens performance at different apertures are stored in the lens internal ROM). (FA, FAJ, DFA, DA lenses).

So, no. K and KA mount lens do not have AF.

And KA mount lens is very different from Nikon's AF-S:
1 - the mounting is different
2 - KA is not does not AF
3 - Nikon lenses turns in opposite direction to mount
But yes its focus is silent. Even more silent than AF-S. :p

So, from what I've gathered, Pentax users choose Pentax because:
(in no particular order)
- Pentax cameras and lenses are reasonably-priced
- owning a Pentax sets you apart from the typical Nikon/Canon crowd
- built-in stabilisation (and weatherproofing for the K200D)
- excellent prime lenses
- compatibility with every Pentax lens ever made
- Pentax cameras don't allow you to abuse the frames-per-second rate; thus, "forcing" you to think carefully before taking a picture and learning invaluable photography skills

However, some of the drawbacks are:
- noise levels at higher ISOs
- slow frames-per-second rate
- lack of variety of third-party lenses
- Pentax zoom lenses don't perform as well as those of Canon/Nikon
- Pentax accessories are hard to find

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump as I'm considering a Pentax as my first DSLR. I would really love to know more about what is good (and bad) about Pentax. Do share your thoughts and add to the list I compiled! Thanks.

Last edited:
Who says there is anything "bad" about Pentax? I have been a pentax uaer since my first camera which had a K mount but was not called pentax. those days, the k-mount was really popular.

However, some of the drawbacks are:

Be careful there talking about noise level. At sensor (RAW) level, it may not generate higher noise than competition. At JPEG level, Pentax has different approach from competition. It preserves detail with the trade-off of higher noise level. So it really comes to one's preference.

I'd say it performs very well in terms of price/performance.
You may check the lens review at photozone.de

I'd like to clarify that the list I compiled above is merely a summary of what I read from the last 6 pages and none of the opinions are my own.

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with being objective about a camera. Even if I did come up with the list myself, there is nothing wrong with talking about the good and bad about a camera. Nothing's perfect - it's a way of life. Those things I read about sure looked like "bad points" to me - or if you'd prefer, slight drawbacks.

mountainhill, you mentioned that at JPEG level, Pentax has a different approach from its competition - how? And more info about the noise levels, please! Cheers! =)

Last edited:
I'd like to clarify that the list I compiled above is merely a summary of what I read from the last 6 pages and none of the opinions are my own.

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with being objective about a camera. Even if I did come up with the list myself, there is nothing wrong with talking about the good and bad about a camera. Nothing's perfect - it's a way of life.

Well, those things I read about sure look like "bad points" to me - or if you'd prefer, slight drawbacks.

Could you shed more light on that issue? You mentioned that at JPEG level, Pentax has a different approach from its competition - how? I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, and I apologise if I did. I'm considering a Pentax and would like to find out more, that's all. Cheers.

Pentax is better when come to details preservation from image straight off the camera. The noise may be higher but than can be fixed using software. Where other brands apply the noise reduction at sensor level with some loss of detail. You can read about it in the thread below comparing the Cxxxx 50D, Nxxxx D300 and Pentax K20D.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431503

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with being objective about a camera. Even if I did come up with the list myself, there is nothing wrong with talking about the good and bad about a camera. Nothing's perfect - it's a way of life. Those things I read about sure looked like "bad points" to me - or if you'd prefer, slight drawbacks.

mountainhill, you mentioned that at JPEG level, Pentax has a different approach from its competition - how? And more info about the noise levels, please! Cheers! =)

I think most who have posted here have had firsthand experience of the brand.
The point is if you haven't even used or owned a Pentax, it's a stretch to talk about the supposed pros and cons. You can draw up a list but if you haven't even taken a shot using a Pentax, how can you even begin to answer the question "Why a Pentax?" :think:

i think most who have posted here have had firsthand experience of the brand.
The point is if you haven't even used or owned a pentax, it's a stretch to talk about the supposed pros and cons. You can draw up a list but if you haven't even taken a shot using a pentax, how can you even begin to answer the question "why a pentax?" :think:

*clap*clap*

I'll say the best way to decide is to actually handle the Pentax models, play around with them, and judge for yourself.

As for the quality of the images it produces, look at our photos sharing thread sticky at the top of the forum. Says it all.

Just to share my views on the negative pts you brought up.
--> No idea, I've never used another brand's DSLR. But my K100DS' noise control is simply superb.. to me.

--> Everyone here concedes this, but anyone needing a high FPS for whatever reason probably shouldn't be considering Pentax in the 1st place.

--> I'll say there are more than enough even for the serious hobbyist.

--> No idea, I seldom use zooms. :p

--> Well, everything I need eventually pops up on the sales forum, if 2nd-hand is fine. But to buy new may be hard, true. I asked around shops for the magnifier eyepiece last week and CP, among others, say they don't stock.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to you joining in our cult! Oops, club!

Last edited:
I think most who have posted here have had firsthand experience of the brand.
The point is if you haven't even used or owned a Pentax, it's a stretch to talk about the supposed pros and cons. You can draw up a list but if you haven't even taken a shot using a Pentax, how can you even begin to answer the question "Why a Pentax?" :think:

Well, I am NOT trying to answer the question, "why a Pentax?" I have compiled a list summarising previous replies to this question in the last 6 pages in an attempt to bring a new reader of this thread up to speed with what has been said. I say again, I am NOT answering the question and am fully aware of my lack of "qualifications" to do so. That is why I mentioned that I am asking for my opinions on Pentax so that I can make a better informed choice on my first DSLR.

What is wrong with you people? Don't you see what I'm trying to achieve here? What's up with all the defensiveness? Have people put down Pentax so much that when the smallest bad remark is made, you all over-react?

*clap*clap*

This is plain unnecessary. Being a new member of Clubsnap, this experience here is really disappointing.

I'll say the best way to decide is to actually handle the Pentax models, play around with them, and judge for yourself.

As for the quality of the images it produces, look at our photos sharing thread sticky at the top of the forum. Says it all.

Just to share my views on the negative pts you brought up.
--> No idea, I've never used another brand's DSLR. But my K100DS' noise control is simply superb.. to me.

--> Everyone here concedes this, but anyone needing a high FPS for whatever reason probably shouldn't be considering Pentax in the 1st place.

--> I'll say there are more than enough even for the serious hobbyist.

--> No idea, I seldom use zooms. :p

--> Well, everything I need eventually pops up on the sales forum, if 2nd-hand is fine. But to buy new may be hard, true. I asked around shops for the magnifier eyepiece last week and CP, among others, say they don't stock.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to you joining in our cult! Oops, club!

Thanks le petit prince, for, FINALLY, a non-aggressive reply to my queries. Oh, in addition to Seefei, of course. (Thanks, by the way!)

Last edited:
Well, I am NOT trying to answer the question, "why a Pentax?" I have compiled a list summarising previous replies to this question in the last 6 pages in an attempt to bring a new reader of this thread up to speed with what has been said. I say again, I am NOT answering the question and am fully aware of my lack of "qualifications" to do so. That is why I mentioned that I am asking for my opinions on Pentax so that I can make a better informed choice on my first DSLR.

What is wrong with you people? Don't you see what I'm trying to achieve here? What's up with all the defensiveness? Have people put down Pentax so much that when the smallest bad remark is made, you all over-react?

i think you're really, really overreacting to creampuff's post - that overreaction is what makes me question what you're trying to acheive here, not the initial post.

creampuff is SIMPLY asking you to lay your hands on a pentax camera. to try it out, see if you can live with it. the post was cordially written, had no ill intent, as far as i can see.. and meant that most of the pentax users are more than comfortable with the flaws the brand has. the same goes for any brand's user.

sitting around trying to paw out answers from people who are more than satisfied with the brand is a waste of time, even if we are honest.. can YOU live with the flaws? do you love the pluses enough to forgive them? we have, but we're not sure if other people have. how high is your tolerance to noise? how high is your tolerance to slow af? if you shoot things that don't need high iso OR snappy af in low light (like i do).. then the cons are no cons at all.

take things easy, this is your first time in a forums, a lot of posts can be misconstrued here. if you take offense so easily, then my advice is to steer clear of all forums, not just this one.. they will end up hurting your sensitivities and raising your blood pressure. :)

p.s. if this post sounds offensive, it was not my intention to be such.

p.p.s. i suggest you do a same writeup on each brand and dump it in the nikon/canon section.. please pm me the links when you've done that, so i can take out popcorn and watch the show.. :devil:

Last edited:
dorytakesapicture, in decision making, there are limits to drawing up a list or pouring through brochures and technical info or even visiting forums. Simply put you won't really know the actual truth, whatever that may be. Merely repeating supposed pros and cons with little or no actual experience of the cameras is a fruitless exercise. Go out to a good camera shop and try a Pentax.

By way of example, allow me to relate an actual example of what I mean. I have a friend who took over his family's food business. He wanted a car, a nice sports car. He poured over the catalogs and magazines, he narrowed it down to the Mercedes SLK, Audi TTS and BMW Z4. All the car salesman he met say the same thing, the cars they sell are the best. He asked my friends and got different responses. Are all the cars good? Sure.
I told him to go and test drive and select based on what he likes because he needs to experience the differences himself.

Having said that, a lot of cameras out there are good.
Question is are you good enough to get the best out of them?

Last edited:
dorytakesapicture, we are not being defensive to Pentax, although some of our answers to your post may seem so.

Like what creampuff has mentioned as well as some of the rest, go to a camera shop, ask the salesperson to let you hold a Pentax and feel it for yourself. Make sure you bring along an SD card so you can go home and look at it.

Something well-said deserves a clap or 2, Dorytakesapicture, so chill.

(That's a great example, Creampuff)

Sometimes even after you try, you may still not make the correct choice. The important thing is go out there and take brilliant pictures with the tool you've selected! ;-)

My experience with Pentax? I have none before I bought the k100d. It was cheaper than most, SR, and using AA Batteries. And ever since, I didn't look back...

If you ever choose Pentax (which may be a little tricky now), join us for the Pentax meet!

Last edited:
Just to add another note

I started looking at Nikon D40, D40x, D60, Canon 400D, Sony A100 and Oly E410. That was 1 year ago and their prices was not very far apart. I search over a few months and settle on K10D.

You go to any shop and they will probably tell you to get any brand other than Pentax if you just ask for a recommendation and when you ask for a Pentax they may ask you 'Why Pentax?' and give you various reasons to buy something that they have lots of stock or have higher margin because they bought alot from the supplier and needs to clear asap before the next model comes out. They will tell you a hundred features that you may never use.

I have since tried Nikon and Canon (my colleague's D60 and Brother-in-law's 400D) and I must say that I am very happy with the choice I made.

If you read reviews in the publication available locally, the price of Pentax is always way above the price we are actually paying...it goes to show how much research the writer has done for you to trust his/her reviews. If you want reviews, you can definitely trust people like Creampuff and the other guys here who have used other brands before. BTW, even K10D had been compared with Canon 40D and Nikon D200 even almost 2 years ago. Brochures are written by marketing people. Pictures are taken by photographers. Check out the blogs of some of the guys here.

Bottomline....don't read too much. Go and take one Pentax camera and see if you like it or hate it. If you are in a rush, even the 'entry level' N and C may not suit you. There will be no perfect camera because we are always bombarded by marketing gimmicks like taking videos on a DSLR what will shift our ideals.

I was not a supporter when I started. I was being pragmatic when I selected Pentax. Today my colleague and brother-in-law may view me as a Pentax evangelist. (TM) :)

Lastly, people here are helpful and maybe you want to join one of the outings and see for yourself if you want to be part of this group. Even if you have a PnS camera, you will be welcomed. Any objections from anyone? :)

Maybe after the outing we can have a 'Why I selected Pentax' Thread instead from dorytakespicture.

Last edited:
Thanks le petit prince, for, FINALLY, a non-aggressive reply to my queries. Oh, in addition to Seefei, of course. (Thanks, by the way!)

Welcome, man.

But don't be put off.. they mean no ill will, nor malice.

Us Pentaxians are actually all (as far as I know) friendly and SUPER-helpful folks.

Hey look, a few months back, I got a loan of a 10-20 and a flash - both expensive items - easily, when I barely know those fellows.. and I only got my Pentax in late Jan this year! That's one upside of a small community. We really do help each other out. :)

Go on, try a Pentax, and see how you like it. For sheer value-for-money and quality of lenses, it's right up there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.