Who will shoot for free for Charity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evq

Jul 27, 2004
The 13th floor
I'm just wondering anyone here is willing to offer free event coverage for Charity organisations.
After reading so many threads being flamed by CSers for exploiting free/cheap labours, this question comes into my mind.

btw, I was once requested by a friend who is a volunteer for the Association for the Blind (Something like that, can't recall the actual name)to cover a event on Sat. At 1st, I was more than happy to help out, but was told that the event starts from 9am to 6pm. So, gotta reject her request.

So, are you willing to shoot for free for Charity? And for how many hours?
Hey, dun just say say, I may pass her ur contact for future events... hahahahaa:bsmilie:

This is just a Poll, not a request or 'Looking For' thread.

I just read the newspaper, for the last NKF TV charity show, NKF budgeted >$4m for the TV production budget.

I have no experience in shooting events.
If it's really for charity I might take that opportunity to get some experience.
But there's got to be free food to last me the entire event.
:bsmilie:

Astin said:
I just read the newspaper, for the last NKF TV charity show, NKF budgeted >$4m for the TV production budget.
I will never shoot for them free. I will demand peanuts:bsmilie: :bsmilie:
So long as there's some sort of prizes for donation made etc, it is a scam to me.

I am just thinking aloud....

if someone is willing to shoot for free, what about the other stuff?

- will the food caterer do for free?
- will the transport company do for free for that charity event?
- if material is needed, will some company provide free for this event?
- if electricity and water is needed, will it be provided free bcos it is a charity event?
- if space is needed, will the land owner provide free rental?

MyNikon said:
If it's really for charity I might take that opportunity to get some experience.

I believe u will have free drinks & meals. I think they are just short of budget, especially those smaller charities.

*Pls exclude NKF for this Thread*

I think photography service should be part of the event budget. And the photographer should be paid.

The total costs should be on sponsors.

MyNikon said:
Food may be provided, but u may not have time to put the food into yr mouth...:sweat:

Astin said:
Food may be provided, but u may not have time to put the food into yr mouth...:sweat:
If its a charity rolling in peanuts after peanuts yearly, I wun hesitate to charge.

Call me a mercenary, call me an opportunist who cashes in on every opportunity, call me a black-hearted fella. But sorry, no money, no talk.

When CEOs of big budget charities are eating abalone, ppl are eating porridge and salted veggies. Would these CEOs even consider donating part of their salary back to society outside that of their charity that's currently under their charge?

When ppl need ur help, they'll spare no effort in all pitiful words in order to get ur help.
When they start to eat abalone and sharksfin, these are the same ppl that will look at you in the eye, hug the bowl and devour the delicacies with relish and lick the bowl bone dry in front of you and all u can do is to suck air and eat grass for lunch and dinner.

Or... at least that's wad I think.

Feel free to debate.

The last two times I shot for charity were both fund raising fun fair charity.

First one gave me a $10 voucher for food/games and an invitation to a so called recognition of effort dinner for the successful event.

2nd one gave me a lunch box and All's Well drink.

Both got time to eat leh.

I only shoot selectively for charity events... some don't deserve, but some does... and normally I drag all my NUG members along as well for a heart fun day of laughter and enjoyment. :thumbsup:

But if it is the church or temple where you get your spiritual food, why not shoot free for them?
BTW, I'll be willing to offer free event coverage for Charity organisations if the timing fits. (If they want me to shoot lah...)

Instead of telling the non-profit organisation that u can shoot for free, ask them to pay u according to market rate and then promise that you will donate 100% back to them.

at least this will cultivate the right attitude that photography service is NOT free, and they should set aside a proper budget for photography.

Wai said:
Instead of telling the non-profit organisation that u can shoot for free, ask them to pay u according to market rate and then promise that you will donate 100% back to them.

at least this will cultivate the right attitude that photography service is NOT free, and they should set aside a proper budget for photography.
Good idea! :thumbsup: For some charity organisation, you may even get double tax deduction for that....:)

Wai said:

Agreed, very good idea.

Well, a lot of us sacrificed 3 weekends to help charity at photoaid for free, and it was free will. I salute all those CSer's caring spirit.:thumbsup:

SnapSnap said:
But if it is the church or temple where you get your spiritual food, why not shoot free for them?
BTW, I'll be willing to offer free event coverage for Charity organisations if the timing fits. (If they want me to shoot lah...)
I know this is going to end up in flames but at the end of the day...

Can u fill ur stomach with 'spiritual food'? :sweat: No. I'm not stopping anyone to shoot for religious events for free.

But den again, if someone in need of money gets 10 or 20 photoshoots for temples or churches, all for free, for this 'spiritual food', the only reward this poor chap is going to get is to meet his Maker faster den the usual route. :sweat:

Just a thought.

We can give free stuff, put in effort for free. But then there's a limit to everything giving or doing free. In this crazy, hypocritical world, count our blessings if the ppl whom we'd once helped with all our hearts just say a simple 'thank you' and not later turn around to say things behind ur back.

Status
Not open for further replies.