Who have resisted the DSLR temptation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friend just bought a spotmatic pantex bought tht px675 or px625 4 the meter seen did not work can tell me m i using the right one 1.35V right can kindly give me some advice ...ME LIKE LIKE OLD OLD STUFF TOO

patch17 said:
i like 'old' stuff. :D
CAN KINDLY TELL ME WHICH BATT TO USE ON SPOTMATIC PX625 OR PX675 BOUGHT I HAVE DIDNT SEEN WORKING THK ....

boopoo, go sim lim tower, below escalator there is 1 shop sell nothing except battery. u can get mecury batt. there, otherwise, they have alkaline replacement too.

Other then the preference I mentioned, digital point and shoot cheapo 1-2MP will be fine for me to take ebay item for sale etc. Otherwise, I see no use for anything I need.

Again, I stress here -> I.

I am also resisting the temptation. Trying very hard. :sweat:

The issue for me is the depreciating value of the DSLR which is too steep. :cry:

True, that I dont have to upgrade when the next new body is launch, but new technology can easily make it obsolete 2-3 years down the line.

This dont happen to film cameras. It may lose value, but it wont be obsolete.
I can still shoot with my TLR which is more than 30 years old and produce beautiful pics.

My office has 1 or 2 digital cams which are 1megapixel but collecting dust now. Bought at more than 1k around 3 years back.
It needs the adapter for it to be slot into the floppy drive to transfer data. And the adapter is costly. Compare that to a current one where USB is so easy.

Also, my shooting rate is not very high. Less than 1k per year. (film+processing+print). And don't want to spend time doing post-processing.

But then it is ME. RESIST!!!

do i hear someone in the background says "resistance is futile! BWAH HAHAHA!"

me! me! me! still using both neg & slides. :D digital still very expensive for me & i really hate that crop factor (consumer DSLR). if u use an ultra wide to get a 35mm equivalent, u get a lot of distortion that comes with it too. i actually have this crazy idea & posted it at nikonians site about manufacturer shifting the CCD forward so as to compensate for the crop factor. of course using a new mirror mechanism that slides to the side instead of flipping up/down to make more room.

well, until they can bring down the FF CCD to really low & get rid of that dust problem, i m sticking to film for a while more. :D cheers!!

Resistence? The correct word for my own use is that I have absolutely zero interest in them @@.

shutterfly said:
With the introduction of entry level DSLRs like 300D n D70, many have flocked to the world of DSLRs. For those who can afford but have yet to make the move, may I know why?

Also try to avoid statement like "It is the photographer, not the camera", etc kind of statement. We have seen many pple here not practising what they preached. :D

Here's a slightly different stance... I Started out in Digital (5MP - and am getting superb results (Good camera rather than good photographer) but have 'Moved on' to Film. The Reason - I just love to see the quality of good slides viewed on a lightbox. (Fuji Superia and Velvia in case you're asking).

However I still love to shoot digitally as I love the instant feedback and the freedom to experiment endlessly. Also as yet I haven't managed to translate the quality from the slides onto the computer (Only have cheap £69 scanner) so the jury's still out on this one.

But If I were thinking of switching to digital for the first time I certainly wouldn't ditch film.. In fact am thinking of investing in medium format... And as a final slant I happen to be a 'Heavy' photoshop user so I think I have loyalties to both camps :) ;p :)

I don't have the vit m for dslrs actually. Even if I had, I feel I haven't reached a level where I can justify owning a dslr. Infact, I don't even use this S602Z I have anymore. It was very convenient to shoot, go home, dl & feedback. But it just had no feeling pushing an electronic button.

I like fiddling with my fm2n, worrying abt my aperture n shutter speed n focusing... Although I've come to some compromise with technology whereby I scan my negs/slides for slight ps editing.

If I had the cash I'd probably invest in better lenses for my fm2n first. Dslrs after.

I far prefer my 717 over the lower end dslr :blah: . Wouldn't mind the mid-end dslr, but those are way over my budget.

boopoo said:
CAN KINDLY TELL ME WHICH BATT TO USE ON SPOTMATIC PX625 OR PX675 BOUGHT I HAVE DIDNT SEEN WORKING THK ....

i tried using a Varta V625U 1.5v. but it the meter on the cameral doesn't respond too.

but that's the beauty of this beast, you can still take pictures without a battery. i just love it. :D

instead of resisting the digital way, is seem to be regressing, i'm having a lot of fun using older and older cameras. (i was taking a few shots with my GSN and this little girl of about 6 yrs asked me if she could see the pictures at the back of my camera. all i could say was she'd have to wait a while, my camera takes it's time to come up with pics.)

this really sounds like the cases of those people who quit highpaying but stressful jobs to do what they want

@@ why are there people like me who wanna use old ah pek camera?
now i'm trying to be a farmer.

True itself, I love my modern slr but it's the ah pek camera that always gets to go out.
I'm somehow train in IT security but trying to be a farmer @@

Great to hear so many differing views. Really open up my mind.

Had the opportunity to use DSLR occasionally, but compared to film, colours of film wins by a margin of a head. Still prefer the larger gamut of slides and negatives.

I would like to have both film and digital if I had the money--DSLR for event shooting + sports; film for still life, scenary, slides; P&S digicam for quick snapshots and parties that don't typically last for more than 2-3 hours.

Now still sticking to my $3 + $2.50 combination for my shooting needs. :) It's cheaper than acquiring a DSLR.

Ah Pao said:
Now still sticking to my $3 + $2.50 combination for my shooting needs. :) It's cheaper than acquiring a DSLR.

May I ask what's this $3 + $2.50 combination about? :dunno:

imaginary_number said:
May I ask what's this $3 + $2.50 combination about? :dunno:

$3 = film processing
$2.50 = scanning into CD

Actually I forgot to add another $3 into the equation...the cost of a roll of Fujifilm Superia 400.

So, it should be $3 + $3 + $2.50.

sriram said:
Judging by the prices of used D30/D60's the 10D will be worth very little in a couple of years, whereas my film body won't go down by too many dollars.

My favourite 24mm lens is really a 24mm wide lens, not a 38mm semi-wide. On a DSLR I'd have to get a big fat expensive lens to go wide.

Don't need to worry when the batteries are going to die.

One big problem is dust. Until there's a practical solution for that I'm staying far away. I've seen some people really mess up their sensors by cleaning them improperly.

The biggest problem is time. I stare at a computer the whole day, and the last thing I want to do is come back after a shoot and stare at the screen for another 6 hours, doing PS on all my images, tweaking them, etc. Let the lab do it for me. Time is money. I'd rather spend it at the lab than screw up my eyesight and waste time.

very very true ;)

For non techno. geek and no application for it, dun waste time and $.
wa. very bold msg :D

Ah Pao said:
$3 = film processing
$2.50 = scanning into CD

Actually I forgot to add another $3 into the equation...the cost of a roll of Fujifilm Superia 400.

So, it should be $3 + $3 + $2.50.
Where's the place that charged you $2.50 for the scan? Mind sharing?

TIA.

Grace Digital. Do a search and you will find.

Status
Not open for further replies.