Which will you vote for?

Which will you choose?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

New Member
Jan 5, 2005
550
0
0
44
PR
Hi all, just want to find out, beside Nikon 18-200mm, which of these two will be your 2nd choice?

Tamron - AF 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II
or
Sigma - 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
Neither, always go for Nikkors. :thumbsup:
 

erizai

Senior Member
Sep 16, 2005
1,467
0
36
Southen Sea
No Match to Nikkor:lovegrin:
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
36
kevyan said:
Hi all, just want to find out, beside Nikon 18-200mm, which of these two will be your 2nd choice?

Tamron - AF 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II
or
Sigma - 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC.
Always bear in mind that the smallest maximum aperture for AF to work properly is f/5.6 as specified by Nikon, so there is no guarantee that the AF will work properly in poor lighting situations when you're at the maximum zoom with these f/3.5-6.3 lenses. Which is also the reason why Nikon die die designed the lens to be at least f/5.6 at the 200mm end.

Having said that, there is no reason why you cannot use the Tamron or the Sigma if you don't want to pay for the Nikon one now. But you may regret your decision later if the Tamron or Sigma does not live up to your expectation.
 

huggable

Senior Member
Nov 2, 2004
3,703
0
36
East side
There is no 2nd choice. Haha.

kevyan said:
Hi all, just want to find out, beside Nikon 18-200mm, which of these two will be your 2nd choice?

Tamron - AF 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II
or
Sigma - 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC.
 

forward

New Member
May 27, 2002
390
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
lsisaxon said:
Nikon die die designed the lens to be at least f/5.6 at the 200mm end.

Having said that, there is no reason why you cannot use the Tamron or the Sigma if you don't want to pay for the Nikon one now. But you may regret your decision later if the Tamron or Sigma does not live up to your expectation.
Nikon knows what photographers want. They design their optics from the photographers' point of view. The best way to a low light situation is a fast lens instead of pulling up the ISO. Only seasoned and knowledgable old hands will give these valuable tips away so that others will benefit.

I was a victim for years and had to learn the hard way of having to empty my wallet to optics that could not match my expectations. The best bet will be the original optics from the manufacturer of your camera body. ;)
 

longkangman

Senior Member
I have the Tamron 18-200mm long before nikon release the nikkor 18-200mm after I use the nikkor I have to let go the Tamron. Nikkor lens is better and with VR.

cheers
 

zaxh81

Senior Member
Jan 29, 2003
4,338
0
36
Earth
bo liao poll
 

Narsuitus

New Member
Sep 18, 2005
65
0
0
Which one of the two I would choose would depend on the price.
 

mohgui

Senior Member
Jan 31, 2005
1,294
0
0
La La Land
no horse run lah... Nikon wins hands down base on the specs alone.
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
36
forward said:
I was a victim for years and had to learn the hard way of having to empty my wallet to optics that could not match my expectations. The best bet will be the original optics from the manufacturer of your camera body. ;)
I would only make this statement if the manufacturer is Nikon.
 

kevyan

New Member
Jan 5, 2005
550
0
0
44
PR
zaxh81 said:
bo liao poll
Well, it maybe bo liao to you, but not to me...:nono:

I am trying to find out which will people choose and why....
 

billpepsi

New Member
Jan 2, 2005
1,269
0
0
The 3rd Rock
Have tried Tamron 18-200 b4, the focus is slow, it hunts.

Would bite the bullet and get Nikkor.
 

Dennis

Senior Member
Jan 24, 2002
3,879
0
0
Singapore
8dennis8.fotki.com
If budget is not a factor than get the Nikon, no comparision. I was using the Tamron before.
For the extra it is well worth it.
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
36
jeffhiew said:
Have tried Tamron 18-200 b4, the focus is slow, it hunts.

Would bite the bullet and get Nikkor.
That would probably be because the aperture is already at f/6.3... smaller than the f/5.6 specified by Nikon for the AF to work properly.
 

witzend

New Member
Jan 5, 2006
278
0
0
Hill Billy
kevyan said:
Hi all, just want to find out, beside Nikon 18-200mm, which of these two will be your 2nd choice?

Tamron - AF 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II
or
Sigma - 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC.
I'd take the Nikkor, tested it when it landed in sg, very cool, able to shoot at 1/8 F5.6 with VR, no handshake. Optics quality wise I'm fine with it. If can still see details after zooming 400% on the LCD screen I'm happy with it liao (me not fussy :D ). Would buy it if it's my first lens purchase with a dslr.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.