Which will you vote for?

Which will you choose?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all, just want to find out, beside Nikon 18-200mm, which of these two will be your 2nd choice?

Tamron - AF 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II
or
Sigma - 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC.

Neither, always go for Nikkors. :thumbsup:

No Match to Nikkor:lovegrin:

kevyan said:
Hi all, just want to find out, beside Nikon 18-200mm, which of these two will be your 2nd choice?

or
Always bear in mind that the smallest maximum aperture for AF to work properly is f/5.6 as specified by Nikon, so there is no guarantee that the AF will work properly in poor lighting situations when you're at the maximum zoom with these f/3.5-6.3 lenses. Which is also the reason why Nikon die die designed the lens to be at least f/5.6 at the 200mm end.

Having said that, there is no reason why you cannot use the Tamron or the Sigma if you don't want to pay for the Nikon one now. But you may regret your decision later if the Tamron or Sigma does not live up to your expectation.

There is no 2nd choice. Haha.

kevyan said:

or

lsisaxon said:
Nikon die die designed the lens to be at least f/5.6 at the 200mm end.

Having said that, there is no reason why you cannot use the Tamron or the Sigma if you don't want to pay for the Nikon one now. But you may regret your decision later if the Tamron or Sigma does not live up to your expectation.

Nikon knows what photographers want. They design their optics from the photographers' point of view. The best way to a low light situation is a fast lens instead of pulling up the ISO. Only seasoned and knowledgable old hands will give these valuable tips away so that others will benefit.

I was a victim for years and had to learn the hard way of having to empty my wallet to optics that could not match my expectations. The best bet will be the original optics from the manufacturer of your camera body. ;)

I have the Tamron 18-200mm long before nikon release the nikkor 18-200mm after I use the nikkor I have to let go the Tamron. Nikkor lens is better and with VR.

cheers

bo liao poll

Which one of the two I would choose would depend on the price.

no horse run lah... Nikon wins hands down base on the specs alone.

forward said:
I was a victim for years and had to learn the hard way of having to empty my wallet to optics that could not match my expectations. The best bet will be the original optics from the manufacturer of your camera body. ;)
I would only make this statement if the manufacturer is Nikon.

zaxh81 said:
bo liao poll

Well, it maybe bo liao to you, but not to me...:nono:

I am trying to find out which will people choose and why....

Have tried Tamron 18-200 b4, the focus is slow, it hunts.

Would bite the bullet and get Nikkor.

If budget is not a factor than get the Nikon, no comparision. I was using the Tamron before.
For the extra it is well worth it.

jeffhiew said:
Have tried Tamron 18-200 b4, the focus is slow, it hunts.

Would bite the bullet and get Nikkor.
That would probably be because the aperture is already at f/6.3... smaller than the f/5.6 specified by Nikon for the AF to work properly.

kevyan said:

or

I'd take the Nikkor, tested it when it landed in sg, very cool, able to shoot at 1/8 F5.6 with VR, no handshake. Optics quality wise I'm fine with it. If can still see details after zooming 400% on the LCD screen I'm happy with it liao (me not fussy :D ). Would buy it if it's my first lens purchase with a dslr.

Status
Not open for further replies.