Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

pt657

Oct 5, 2010
Dear All,
I am confused with the sharpness, as such I hv upload both and hopefully anyone please help to identify for me that which photo is sharper. (Appreciated very much)

Both are from different camera that.
Photo A, taken with alpha A55 + 500mm Lens
Photo B, taken with Nikon D90 + 70 300mm ED VR Lens (copped to match 500mm only)

Both are straight out from camera without editing.

Photo A
5341857309_74d2e19b3b_b.jpg

Photo B
5342490836_abcdb1b423_b.jpg

Thankyou so much in advance for your help.

Different lens, different body, different JPEG alrorithms...

and for sharpness, a 100% crop is better. But to me, just based on your 2 pics (before knowing which is which) I'd say "A" is sharper - I see more details in the dirt, etc.

But nobody would be able to tell off-hand without some serious pixel-peeping.

A is sharper. Looking at 2 subjects and comparing - the indian guy with vest and Danger + Keep out sign on the machinery. However, B seemed to be slightly brighter as I cant make out the boot of the operator of the machinery in A.

Jon

IMO I'm going to call photo B as the sharper setup, you magnified B to match A so of course some details will be lost. Secondly A is darker so some details will appear sharper.

I downloaded both pics and zoom in to look, seems pic A is slightly sharper.

A is sharper and the color is superb...

It's a close call, just from staring at the 2 images on the screen (no pixel peeping). Image A seems sharper, but the exposure is different so it's really hard to be sure.

Perhaps shooting both at 300mm and posting the 100% crop would be more conclusive, resampling the smaller image to match the larger isn't too fair a comparison. :)

First of all, thanks so much.
I can't shoot both at 300mm cos the 500mm is fix lens (Mirror Reflex), both cameras are loan to me for a day as I have not decide which to buy and that the reason for me to seek advise.

Thanks again

First of all, thanks so much.
I can't shoot both at 300mm cos the 500mm is fix lens (Mirror Reflex), both cameras are loan to me for a day as I have not decide which to buy and that the reason for me to seek advise.

Thanks again

Hey no worries, seems like you're deciding between the Sony and the Nikon. Sharpness is quite subjective. Some lenses give you better sharpness and there will be differences with different combinations. Follow your heart, just get what you feel you're most comfortable with :)

If you can't see the difference yourself, then both are the same.

Like some of my friends can't see the difference of 2 photos taken with a low end p&s and DSLR, it's better for them to use p&s. Just my 2 cents. :)

Sorry everyone and some senior,

I do not know how to link FLICKR here, so I have to provide these data for better guide to me.

Camera D90+70-300 ED VR
Exposure 1/1000
Aperture F8
ISO 1600
Metering Multi segment
Focal Length 300mm
Exposure mode Manual

Camera A55+ 500mm (MRL)
Exposure 1/1250
Aperture F8 (fixed)
Metering Multi segment
Focal length 500mm (fixed)
Exposure mode Manual

Hope the above id clear and you can guide me better.
THANK you you so much.

Last edited:
If you can't see the difference yourself, then both are the same.

Like some of my friends can't see the difference of 2 photos taken with a low end p&s and DSLR, it's better for them to use p&s. Just my 2 cents. :)

Dear friend,
I am here to bet for help and I suppose you can rather to tell me something that doesn't help, I have tried my best to present.

I can't see the different and that why asking for help and opinion, if I will do take a P&S vs DSLR, and just do like you say then why am I taking so much trouble to pose it here requesting for help.

If you don't feel like helping newbies then please be silent rather to say something that not helpful. (Sorry to said that)

Dear friend,
I am here to bet for help and I suppose you can rather to tell me something that doesn't help, I have tried my best to present.

I can't see the different and that why asking for help and opinion, if I will do take a P&S vs DSLR, and just do like you say then why am I taking so much trouble to pose it here requesting for help.

If you don't feel like helping newbies then please be silent rather to say something that not helpful. (Sorry to said that)

Hi...don't feel offended just because PCHMJ said something that you feel is not helpful. In fact you have taken both pictures using different exposures and different focal length, the comparison is already flawed.

Taking Pic B and blow up to match Pic A will cause some degradation of image and vice versa. To make an objective comparison, you must use the same lens on both cameras or same camera on both lenses and you would be able to tell the difference if there is any. Reducing the Pic B back to its focal length of 300mm will show its superior optics quality.

You can't take an apple and compare with an orange and claim that the orange is sweeter. :cool:

Hi...don't feel offended just because PCHMJ said something that you feel is not helpful. In fact you have taken both pictures using different exposures and different focal length, the comparison is already flawed.

Taking Pic B and blow up to match Pic A will cause some degradation of image and vice versa. To make an objective comparison, you must use the same lens on both cameras or same camera on both lenses and you would be able to tell the difference if there is any. Reducing the Pic B back to its focal length of 300mm will show its superior optics quality.

You can't take an apple and compare with an orange and claim that the orange is sweeter. :cool:

Oh I See, but I can't use the same lens on both different body cos one is D90 and the other is a Alpha. Sorry for that.
Thanks anyway and I've learned.

pt657 said:
Oh I See, but I can't use the same lens on both different body cos one is D90 and the other is a Alpha. Sorry for that.
Thanks anyway and I've learned.

Well, 70-300 is quite a "standard" focal range. I'm sure Sony makes a lens of that range as well. I notice that for the D90's shot it was 1/1000s shutter speed, whilst on the Sony it was 1/1250. Any reason for this discrepancy?
Also, ISO speed not stated for the shot taken by Sony.

Photo B is brighter. Both are sharp. Without looking at the real-life subject, it is difficult to see whether photo A or b resembles the real-life subject more in colour and sharpness.